Increasing Muscle Mass in the Elderly

Interesting article about anabolic resistance in elderly;

6 Likes

DesertShores, I’ve been using DHEA, 25 mg morning and 25 mg evening for many months. It raised my total testosterone close to the upper limit and raised free testosterone from 4 to 6, still below normal though.

total testosterone 719 (range 264-916 ng/dl)
free testosterone 6 (range 6.6-18.1 g/ml)

4 Likes

You can calculate your free T using Free & Bioavailable Testosterone calculator

2 Likes

I took my first dose of the combo yesterday. One cap in the morning with food and one cap in the evening with food. I had a fitful sleep and woke up this morning with a mild headache.
Do you think this was a coincidence? Have you ever experienced this taking Togkat Ali?

Thanks. Now all I need is an up to date measurement of total T and SHBG. I’ll do that soon.

Not experienced anything like that.
I do only take one dose at midday with food, so have never had it in the evening.

I’m 63 and I used to lift. The peak of my lifting was around 1995 with a massive amount of reps and sets with heavy weights. I was an athlete in several activities (sports and martial arts) over the course of my life.

I’ve lost a ton of muscle mass and strength. I’d like to gain back the strength but I cannot due to cardiovascular issues.

If you are healthy just shoot to get strength. Increase reps, sets and increasing weight over time and keep going.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Well welcome to the raging steroid club.

Joking 200 mg TRT keeps you in the normal USA range of 800 to 1500 . Not the 8,000 mg doses of crazed body builders. Big difference.

I think TRT is a good balance with rapamycin based on 3- years use of the combo. Feel like I havent aged any… actually reversed age.

As to male gonads… nuts, the rapamycin seems to keep fluid normal (full loads ejaculated) and atrophy (shrinage) away. I will spare pics… you can private message me… very private… lol.

In one of the 11 organ benefits I posted some time back gonads are full … no atrophywhen on rapamycin. So they work well together.

4 Likes

Strangely, even with low T, it doesn’t seem to keep me from gaining muscle mass even at age 82.
I previously posted a picture and I am planning to post a 2 year update. I have gained at least 3/4" in my bicep arm circumference measurement in the last two years. My main objections to TRT: I don’t want to deal with doctors, I don’t want to deal with needles or gels, and last but not least, is the problematic effect on the gonads. I know that TRT is considered safe, it is just not for me. For now, I am going to try other methods.

7 Likes

@RapAdmin, I think that blood flow restriction is similar to isometrics, which I use in combination with weight training. Though somewhat controversial, the method has been helpful to me, especially when I am trying to work around an injury.

@desertshores, if you ordered En-clofert from India, made by Maneesh Pharmacy, it is not enclomiphene. It is clomid, but the wording on the package will imply otherwise. To get the real thing, try ReceptorChem in the UK. Start low and slow.

1 Like

Blood flow restriction is related to forcing an accumulation of muscle waste products in the muscle (not letting blood carry away) to give a bigger signal. This is why it works to create hypertrophy with less weight.

3 Likes

Thanks for the warning, but it’s late to keep me from getting screwed.
Yes, I think I just got screwed by my supplier. (Probably more out of ignorance than intent) After the fact of course I see the label says clomiphene citrate equivalent to 50 mg enclomiphene.

Fortunately, I didn’t order much but there is still the $35 shipping fee.
Now I am wondering if real clomiphene is hard to come by from India.

I have been looking at many papers looking at clomiphene citrate since that is what I will be receiving instead of the enclomiphene that I thought I ordered.

Since it is a relatively new alternative to standard TRT, I think it has generated some negative anecdotal reports.

Looking at the studies it finds that it is relatively safe, possibly safer than standard TRT.

Two papers as an example: One with 400 patients for many months and another involving 8 elderly (That would be me)

If you know of any papers from reputable sources that contradict these findings please post them

I am not planning to start for several weeks while I try the Tongkat Ali supplement mentioned on Joe Rogan.

“A total of 400 patients underwent clomiphene citrate treatment.”

“The most common side effects reported by patients treated more than 3 years included changes in mood in 5, blurred vision in 3, and breast tenderness in 2. There was no significant adverse event in any patient treated with clomiphene citrate.”

Long-Term Safety and Efficacy of Clomiphene Citrate for the Treatment of Hypogonadism

https://www.auajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1097/JU.0000000000000396
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1879522616300240

3 Likes

Walking is definitely one of the best things you can do for your health. I have a step counter. On my best days I’ll get over 10,000 steps which is really great. But even on other days, I try to get at least 5000

4 Likes

I’ve been using tonkat ali for years. It’s hard to say for sure, but I think it helps

1 Like

This study suggests that Natesto (testosterone nasal gel three times daily) does not dramatically suppress endogenous hormones even after 6 months of use (“Follicle stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone levels were maintained within the normal range in 81.8% and 72.7% of patients” and “Total motile sperm count was maintained with total motile sperm count greater than 5 million over the treatment period in 88.4% of men at 3 months and 93.9% at 6 months”)

Whereas this one showed it still normalized testosterone while “Erectile function, mood, body composition, and bone mineral density improved from baseline”

It requires application 3x daily and costs $140/month (with manufacturer’s coupon), but personally I like the flexibility with dosing and the fact that I’m using a branded pharmaceutical and not some poorly-regulated generic/compounded product.

4 Likes

@desertshores, I got ripped off too. Hard to avoid it. But the liquid I bought from ReceptorChem sent my T level soaring. It’s the real thing. https://receptorchem.co.uk/

I took 25 ml per day, and the increase in aggression was most disconcerting. Some of the comments on Reddit suggest 12.5 ml EOD.

2 Likes

I probably over-reacted. As I said, I don’t think it was an intentional ripoff. Looking at actual studies vs anecdotal evidence, the clomid appears to be safe with a small percentage of people experiencing adverse side effects. Since it is on the way I will be trying the Clomid after I finish my Tongkat Ali experiment. I get frequent blood work so I will be monitoring my T and estrogen levels closely. If I am not happy with the results I certainly will try Receptorchem UK.
Thanks, that was a good find.

1 Like

No, @desertshores, I don’t think I was ripped off either. Easy for anyone, even those of us more fluent in English, to misinterpret the wording on the package, which I think was intended to deceive.

A common complaint about enclomiphene is that it provides good results in all the key areas–strength, energy, mood, libido–but the results don’t last. After about three months or so, you’re back down to baseline. The papers I’ve read on PubMed don’t note this quirk in treatment because most of the studies are for less than three months.

I’m on the gel now and I’m fairly satisfied, but I wonder if I could get a boost by combining the gel with very low doses of enclomiphene–no more than, say, 2 ml EOD. Again, T levels that are too high are as bad or worse than subnormal levels.

2 Likes