Increasing Muscle Mass in the Elderly

@scta123, I used a liquid dose of 25 ml per day. The problem is finding the right dose for you. Another problem is that there is no consensus on the right dose. Reddit has a lot of information based on personal use. Most users had good early success and then experienced a steep loss in effectiveness. The papers on PubMed offer a more positive outlook, but my experience matches that of the Redditors

1 Like

Have been taking rapamycin for approximately two years not and have not experienced subjective sarcopenia or measurable muscle strength. I do not believe rapamycin blunts exercise. Ask Agetron.

4 Likes

yep I agree. I tried enclomiphene and it caused eye floaters. So far TRT, 100mg per week, has been best for me. I do bloodwork regularly and so far so good after about a year. I definitely have experienced an increase in muscle mass, energy, and libido at 66. I am much less feeble activity-wise, and do weight training 2-3 times per week. I may add a bit of DHEA to my routine and try to measure any difference.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried blood flow restriction specially for leg strength workouts? Seems like it could help accelerate the positive impacts while avoiding joint pain or risks towards knees.

siimland (@Siim Land) Tweeted: Blood flow restriction training is a legit biohack

It’s been found to trigger the same muscle hypertrophy response as training at 60-80% of your 1RM with only 20-30% of 1RM

You basically trick your body into thinking you’re lifting heavier than you really are

PMID: 26463594 https://twitter.com/siimland/status/1719375920300007673?s=51&t=zJMJ1xVdRJYEDYz-DHipTw

2 Likes

3 Likes

See this earlier thread: Blood Flow Restriction Muscle Training for the Intervention of Sarcopenia

3 Likes

Some say using machines can actually cause joint stress, as the action is restricted by the machine’s motion. Dumbbells provide a natural motion and shouldn’t cause injury. I see many in the gym lifting with bad form (e.g. using too heavy weights, eccentric motion too quick, etc.) There are lots of quality videos online that provide guidance on form and which lifts should be avoided (e.g. upright rows)

5 Likes

Thanks will take a look

Just had some recent blood tests and took the Aging.Ai test that gave me an age of 54, almost a 30-year favorable differential.

However, having a T-test at the same time is not looking good.

Free T results are not in yet.

My T has never ever been this low! My next lowest reading ever was 325.

What this tells me, at least for me as an 82 yr old:

The BS supplements that I am currently taking i.e. d-aspartic acid, and a few others are just wasting my money.

Incredibly, to my mind, even though I have been going to the gym on a very regular basis and doing fairly heavy resistance training, it has not raised my T.

Surprisingly I feel well

I have some enclomiphene on the way from India.

In the meantime, I am going to try a supplement containing ingredients mentioned on a Joe Rogan podcast:

If these measures don’t do the trick then I will try TRT.

5 Likes

The active ingredient is TongKat Ali is apparently Eurycomanone, from nootropicsdepot they standardize to it:

Based on my research of bempedoic acid I have concluded that there is probably much more research for pharmaceutical drugs over supplements, just to get approved, a lot of safety data in animals etc as well.

2 Likes
4 Likes

My current pathetic T level. At 82 I expected it to be low, but not this low. I will try the Tongkat Ali + supplement for 6 weeks and take another test and see how much enclomiphene I need to take if any. If Tongkat Ali and/or enclomiphene don’t work sufficiently, I will try traditional TRT.

I publish my results so that they might help others to understand or view their own results.

At this point in life, I have no problem sharing my medical results.

Apparently, rapamycin doesn’t boost testosterone. :laughing:

9 Likes

Enclomifene and clomid doesn’t seem as good as I thought based on this video, where Greg says it lowers IGF-1 etc that might counter muscle building side effects of higher testosterone, and it decreases estrogen and estrogen levels in the brain which might have mental side effects:

Noteworthy that Bryan Johnson uses testosterone directly with patches, and not enclomifene etc, despite some concerns people have about it over serms.

2 Likes

@desertshores good luck. I’ve never tested my free T. I will someday because I think it is a marker of health status.

1 Like

I wish I could recall which thread, but several people on this forum have remarked that rapamycin seems to reduce testosterone levels.

I use Tongkat Ali and it boosted my Testosterone levels somewhat.
Tried it with the Fidogia Agrestis as a combo and that didn’t make much difference. Maybe that means I’ve plateaued, but have just gone back to the Tongkat on its own.

2 Likes

If your knees are in trouble, a weighted vest will only add stress to your joints.

2 Likes

Interesting article about anabolic resistance in elderly;

6 Likes

DesertShores, I’ve been using DHEA, 25 mg morning and 25 mg evening for many months. It raised my total testosterone close to the upper limit and raised free testosterone from 4 to 6, still below normal though.

total testosterone 719 (range 264-916 ng/dl)
free testosterone 6 (range 6.6-18.1 g/ml)

4 Likes

You can calculate your free T using Free & Bioavailable Testosterone calculator

2 Likes