Improve Bioavailability of Rapamycin (2)

0.1 or 0.2ml? Question is how much will it show up in the blood test. I suspect it might help the immediate area you apply but I doubt it will travel far beyond that.

1 Like

@adriank. Please give some scientific underpinning of your doubt.
Please take notice that there are several systemic drugs being applied via the skin like estraderm, Transderm Scop (scopolamine).

I havenā€™t read anything that states otherwiseā€¦ it would be nice if it did. After all I am making my own spray with transcutol and rapamycin. My psoriasis less obvious but there can be lots of reasons.

Iā€™m not aware of any studies with rapamycin and DMSO for skin absorption, though I suspect like you that it would be effective at some level (how much Iā€™m unclear on). But there are reasons to be concerned also, in terms of the effects on the skin.

I think DMSO is a little more aggressive in terms of its results than most skin companies wantā€¦ here is a quote from a cosmetic dermatology textbook:

Another solvent, dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO), by contrast, is relatively aggressive and induces significant structural perturbations such as keratin denaturation and the solubilization of membrane components

See full info and quote in this post: Rapamycin for Hair Growth and Hair Pigmentation - #320 by RapAdmin

3 Likes

Thank you for your info.
DMSO will cause an irritated burning feeling but I was not looking for applying to the scalp. For that application we have minoxidil lotion which is not very nice either.
The safety of small amounts of dmso is probably great as it has been proven to promote survival of stem cells in cryopreservation.
PMC11172459.

If I am using DMSO I aim to keep it at 10% or below in water.

3 Likes

At what age can we start to give a dog Rapa. I have a GS thatā€™s almost a year old.

I waited until my dog was age 4 before giving it rapamycin (my dog is quite small, 24 lbs, so would normally (I think) have a life expectancy of around 14 or 15 years. If I had a faster-aging, larger dog (e.g. Great Dane, etc.) I would likely start earlier; perhaps at age 2 years.

See this research and data, as its likely also relevant to dogs: The Case for Starting Rapamycin Earlier in Life (e.g. late 20s) vs middle age (e.g. 50s)

Related: How Do I Get Rapamycin for My Dog?

1 Like

The same argument about dogs may apply in terms of frequency of dosing and a younger dog may have merit in having a dose once a year.

Our problem is measuring the improvement in mitochondria more directly.