Immune system and aging

Hi,
A short search on rapamycin suggests that it has the effect of suppressing the immune system. This leads me quickly to wonder if the immune system has a causative role in aging.

It is known that the immune system changes with aging. What I wonder is if the changes in the immune system might cause aging. Anyone have any info to support or disprove this?

Thanks, Beth

Hi, and welcome to the site.

Actually, a better description of rapamycin is that it is an immune system modulator. At lower doses its been shown to enhance the immune system function, and at higher doses (with other medications used in concert with rapamycin) it can help lower the immune system function.

I’m not aware of any research that would suggest that the immune system is actually involved in causing aging.

A good video to watch is this one below, and I’ve linked directly to the part of the discussion of rapamycin and its impact on the immune system here:

1 Like

Thanks very much, I appreciate the info. I’m just starting to learn about this, so the video is going to be very useful.

Beth

1 Like

Another reason to take rapamycin:

administration of rapamycin improves CD8+ T-cell function

therapies aimed to modulate inflammaging have to be focused on the synergic effect of more than one compound […] rapamycin, acarbose, and 17α-estradiol, converge on the regulation of both ERK1/2 and p38-MAPK pathways

1 Like

Great, tnx! I’ve not read that LDN, low dose naltrexone, 2-5mg/day, has anti aging benefits but it is definitely in the area of reducing inflammation as well. For me, taking LDN for 10yr+, home brew from 50mg tablets dissolved in a fixed amount of water, no discernable effects. And the same for my every 2 week dose of rapa, 20mg+GFJ and a bucket of std nutricals. Maybe no discernable benefits is the benefit? LOL, IE no cancer, hip replacements, blablabla. My age score (?? who?) is only 7 yrs younger then actual age but at least younger. :slight_smile: Thanks to all, Curt

Watched the Matt K video where he describes the dosing of the test dogs. Interestingly they are giving the dogs a dose 3 times per week. This vs the weekly or bi weekly dosing most of this group is using. Maybe because dogs metabolism is higher than humans?

Also dosing varies between equivalent weight of a 170 lb human at 23 mg per week for high dose to 6 mg per week for low dose.

Any thoughts?

That was the preliminary pilot study when they were dosing three times per week - it was done a number of years ago. For the TRIAD main dog clinical study that is just starting, they have gone to a weekly dosing protocol.

More info on TRIAD: The Longevity Summit, News & Update - #8 by RapAdmin

and: How Do I Get Rapamycin for My Dog?

Thanks!

If I am doing calculations correctly on mg per kg ratio - then 170 lb would be 11.55 mg per week.

Yes - and I think they’re using 1mg tablets/capsules now in TRIAD so round off to the nearest mg.
Its a moderately high dose, by the standards of what is currently being prescribed by doctors for people. I give my small dog an even higher dose; 3mg for a 24lb (10kg) dog, and she’s doing great. She’s been on it for about two years, but she’s still young - only 5 years old.

Go dog! Hope she lives a super long and healthy life.

I found this to be an easily understandable, highly scientific and fun introductory video to watch.

Kurzgesagt also introduced me to the principle of slowing down aging. They take topics and boil them down to quick summaries.

2 Likes