If you could only take 10 supplements a day, what would they be?

Just watched the video and so do I. A valuable tip I picked up from both AnUser and Neo here is to increase the speed of the video (and they don’t sound like chipmunks). In this case increasing the speed to 1.5x made him sound almost normal (he’s a slow talker). Not sure I would put C15 or Urolithin A in my top 10 (mainly because I’m not rich) but they could turn out to be that important. My recent cycling on/off with NMN has led me to believe that a NAD precursor (for me) should be in the top 10. I’ll experiment with the different forms. And I liked the use of the flash cards!

1 Like

OK, here’s my top 10 (and yes it’s a lot of the same stuff)

1. A good multi-vitamin (haven’t found the perfect one yet) that would include a good dose of the B vitamins, Vitamin C and ideally Vit D/K too.
  2. Vitamin D3/K2 (MK4+MK7)
  3. Omega 3 - EPA/DHA
  4. Magnesium
  5. Glucosamine (can feel it in my knee joints)
  6. Collagen (glycine + other benefits)
  7. Creatine - and -
  8. Whey Protein Powder ( both for muscles and fitness)
  9. NAD precursor
  10. Metformin - because it’s so cheap and available, I feel no side effects (even on building muscles or HIIT exercise) AND I think the science is strong for benefit. I take 850mg at night on the theory of that’s your fasting cycle and it might give you more CR benefits. I generally follow time restricted eating and have a low calorie, low carb diet so metformin for glucose control for meals might be less important. I do try to get enough protein to build muscle.
    ***** And I would add extra Glycine and NAC (but well separated from when I take Glucosamine). Also I think AKG is very important until I start Rapamycin.
2 Likes

Nice list!

Can you explain why keeping glycine and NAC separate from glucosamine is important? And, why AKG is not important if you take rapamycin?

There’s evidence that NAC interferes with Glucosamine. It’s been cited here before but:
" Antioxidants prevent GlcN-mediated life span extension

This indicates that the transient increase in ROS is required for the extension of life span caused by GlcN, thus providing additional support for adaptive ROS signalling or mitohormesis or both. Although neither BHA nor NAC had a detectable effect on C. elegans life span in the absence of GlcN, the life span-extending capabilities of GlcN were nullified in the presence of BHA or NAC."
https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms4563
As for AKG, see my post here:
https://www.rapamycin.news/t/anyone-taking-calcium-alpha-ketoglutarate-akg/327/65?u=ng0rge

2 Likes

These would be the 10 supplements I would choose:

1. Magnesium L-Threonate
  2. Vitamin D
  3. Boron
  4. N-Acetyl Glucosamine
  5. Quercetin
  6. Indole 3 Carbinol
  7. Vitamin B Complex
  8. Pomegranate Extract
  9. Palmitoylethanolamide
  10. Ginger (as needed)

Gut health is key in my experience and this stack addresses it.

3 Likes

Thanks @Rapa1 I like your list.
As a person who has always dealt with gut issues I am looking to tweak mine as well.
I take NAG for gut health and take most of the others.
Do you find numbers 6 and 9 are helpful for you in this regard above? Or even number 3?
Please elaborate if possible as I will definitely buy some and try it.

Thank you! NAG has been an excellent addition to my stack since a couple of years back, since I cannot have most FODMAPS or traditional prebiotic fibers. I would say Pomegranate extract (Pomella specifically) has been probably the best addition as it has measurably increased my akkermansia.

To answer your questions, no, Boron seems to just increase the amount of magnesium I am able to absorb, and seems to increase testosterone. I don’t “feel” that one much.

Palmitoylethanolamide definately helps my gut. It is a mass cell stabilizer and increases the activity of endogenous endocannabinoids, which tend to help the GI tract. I use it since I seem to get side effects from CBD.

I get my palmitoylethanolamide from Nootropics Depot.

1 Like

200-333ml of olive is an awful lot. But it’s interesting to look at the “original” med diet they analyzed (in the 60s in Crete think) rather than the one they decided to research which was largely made up. From memory it averaged about 100ml of olive oil.

yeah up to 100ml I could understand but anything over is too much. I heard this doc once say that “food is merely a vehicle to supply olive oil to our body” lol, that’s how much he believes in olive oil. I’m all for it but don’t exaggerate though, especially if you are a doctor.

1 Like

Butyrate is an HDAC inhibitor in the 90 micro molar range hence weaker than things like pterostilbene, but it may ne more bioavailable.

1 Like

I appreciate the recommendation. I have taken both calcium/magnesium butyrate and also tributyrin before, but I seem to feel them wear off similar to GABAergics. Its not particularly pleasant and since butyrate has a pretty short half life, I experience it often. It does help the GI tract though.

1 Like

Accidentally edited over my post you replied to but that’s interesting. By GABAergics do you mean it’s similar to a BZD withdrawal or alcohol hangover?

What brand and dose of tributyrin did you take? And, before you deleted your post what exactly did you say it did for you?

Yes, similar to alcohol or BZD withdrawal. I don’t do well with either one historically either, so I am sure it is related to that.

I credit it with drastically improving a severe case of gastritis I’d been dealing with for 3 years. Like severe to the point I had seen multiple gastroenterologists, tons of testing, diets, prescriptions, supplements, etc.

I’ve been taking the brand Healthy Gut for about a year now. It’s on the more expensive side though, and I think there’s cheaper brands out there. I take 500mg in the morning, although some days I’ll take another 500mg in the evening.

Yes, similar to alcohol or BZD withdrawal. I don’t do well with either one historically either, so I am sure it is related to that.

That sucks. I haven’t noticed anything like that, but that would definitely be a deal-breaker for me too.

1 Like

@jnorm @Rapa1 @John_Hemming

As discussed I other posts, Blueprint just updated this week and one of the additions seems to be the below butyrate product. What was your experience with the ones that you used? Any thoughts on this one?

• Revolutionary Digestive Health Supplement: ProButyrate is formulated with Butyric Acid in a sustained-release format, unlike other supplements that use Butyric salts, such as Sodium Butyrate. This palatable butyric acid supplement helps promote a healthy gut

• Maximum Absorption for Gut Health Support: Butyric acid is a short-chain fatty acid that supports the health of the gastrointestinal tract. Insufficient natural production of this important fatty acid often leads to unpleasant adverse digestive conditions

• Unrivalled Delivery: Tesseract’s proprietary nano-molecular delivery science results in optimal absorption and bioavailability at micro-doses. A ground-breaking transport and time-release system that enables you to receive the full health benefits from your dietary supplements

2 Likes

I cannot say anything specific about butyrate.

1 Like

@Neo I haven’t tried that one. My stomach is very sensitive to anything acidic, which is one reason I went with tributyrin vs butyric acid. Tributyrin shouldn’t release butyric acid until it reaches the intestine, so it should be easier on my stomach.

I’ve been using Healthy Gut brand tributyrin for awhile now but it’s pretty expensive. I may switch to a cheaper brand in the future.

1 Like

Im usually pretty leery of proprietary blends, especially when they are nebulous about what makes them special. Most are overpriced and may underdose bioactives. I used the Healus brand when I took it:
https://a.co/d/9W4i6J6

2 Likes
1 Like