How to Reverse Skin Aging

I’ve used that before. It works well and doesn’t plug pores or cause acne. Good choice!

It’s a common SS here in HK.

1 Like

That’s the one. I know some people prefer the Watery Essence, but I can’t tell a difference and the gel is slightly cheaper by the ounce.
Remember, you need to use 1/4 tsp/1.25 ml for your face, and again on neck, and on man hands, probably that much on each hand.
If you are into makeup, I can give recs for tinted physical sunscreens that depending on your skin tone may work as foundation for you too.

1 Like

I use this Korean mineral sunscreen for face. It’s not greasy and has a nice finish.

ETUDE HOUSE Sunprise Mild Airy Finish Sun Milk SPF50+ / PA++++

https://www.amazon.com/Sunprise-Sebum-free-Non-Sticky-Protection-Sunscreen/dp/B00WE3XGAC

It’s $12 on Amazon.

(Thank you @RapAdmin for providing the Amazon link.)

3 Likes

Majority of Korean suncreams are just lush. I rarely buy anything else. My last haul :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But this birch juice one I posted above is still my favourite I think…

I ordered it from Amazon!

3 Likes

“Crepey skin is primarily an aesthetic concern but it can also be indicative of potential health issues,” board-certified dermatologist Dr. Shoshana Marmon told HuffPost. “Since it usually develops as a result of substantial sun damage, individuals with crepey skin may be at increased risk for the development of skin cancer. Additionally, since crepey skin is thinner and less elastic, it may be more susceptible to bruising and tearing, which could lead to infection if not properly cared for.”

On May 15, the Food and Drug Administration approved the first skin booster, Skinvive by Juvederm, to improve skin smoothness in adults over 21. The booster is an injectable hyaluronic acid with a serum texture that has been used for years overseas, where they refer to it as Volite. “Unlike fillers, which volumize, skin boosters replenish skin’s deep hydration and can give fantastic results for skin quality improvement, especially in thin-skinned areas that are prone to crepey texture,” Sherber explained.

Other injectables, like Radiesse and Sculptra, stimulate the body to synthesize collagen. Options such as radio frequency skin tightening and fractional non-ablative lasers stimulate the body’s natural healing process, leading to the production of new collagen and elastin that promotes thicker and more elastic skin. “Both can significantly improve skin quality,” Sherber said.

For certain anatomical areas, such as around the eyes, she suggested neuromodulators like Botox for reducing crinkling.

4 Likes

Volite is an excellent product. I used it many times. It’s very smooth in application, doesn’t leave bumps or lumps.

Bumps and lumps are usually fillers, not skin boosters. They are all practically invisible after a day or two. I am not saying “no benefits”, just you cannot notice skin booster after possible swelling disappears as it does not affect volume.

It improves skin texture much with immediate result.

2 Likes
4 Likes

La Roche posay invisible mist in spray format is by far the best for me for the face , as it is completely invisible ( as opposed to other French brands such as eg Vichy who also claim they are invisible ( but in fact aren’t, as I discovered recently) ) and can also be sprayed over make up during the day; handy when wearing make up :wink:

3 Likes

On the insider website linked, they state:

Some third-party carriers on Amazon also claim to sell popular international sunscreens, though it’s harder to verify that you’re getting the real thing and not a counterfeit.

As one who has ordered many types of things for many years on Amazon, I have seen such an incredible number of counterfeit and out-right fake goods, I avoid it for the most part now. Especially for any type of supplements or pharmaceuticals I put in or on my body. Avoid purchasing chemicals like pool/spa products from them also.

1 Like

“Since it usually develops as a result of substantial sun damage,”
That is really an oversimplification. I don’t deny the damage from the sun, but there are other factors that are involved, age. The skin loses its elasticity from aging, not just the sun. It will be noticeable in areas that have little or no sun exposure. I noticed this in myself. Because of the last four years on my job, I gained excess weight, and when I shed that weight the skin never fully recovered and I have some crepey skin in areas that had little sun exposure. Basic loss of skin elasticity is caused by age as well as sun exposure. The loss of skin elasticity basic cause of looking old.

Color me a profound skeptic when it comes to all of the studies by dermatologists and companies selling cosmetic products.
Most of the expensive products have no valid scientific proof. Oh sure, show me some remarkable before and after pictures, with different lighting, etc., and of course, the ones using “scientific” before and after photos.
“Yes, Margaret, now that I look closely, I do see that you have fewer fine lines by your eyes”

FWIW: I have used prescription Retin-A for years for actinic keratosis, and yes Margaret, I too have seen a remarkable reduction in fine lines around my eyes and my skin is defiantly a little smoother. I am sure it’s making me look at least 25 years younger. Ha Ha
If my insurance wasn’t paying for it, it certainly wouldn’t be worth my money.
I have used and am currently taking “Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides 1.5 lb. Custom Anti-Aging Hydrolyzed Protein Powder for Healthy Hair, Skin, Joints & Nails. Paleo and Keto Friendly, GMO, and Gluten Free, Pasture-Raised Bovine Hydrolysate.” It does nothing that I can tell.
You are basically spending a ton of money on cosmetics that mainly make you look younger in your own mind.
People who look younger than their years are the result of good health habits and genes.
Again, I cite the example of celebrities pathetically trying to look younger and, with all of their money and failing miserably. Madonna, Robert Smith. John Daly, Melanie Griffith
Mickey Rourke, Goldie Hawn (Keith Richards, Ha, Ha,) Mick Jagger, Axl Rose, etc., etc.
So, if your vanity needs you to spend a lot of money on basically useless cosmetics that is of course your choice. But I say BS
Next time I will tell you how I really feel. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

OneSkin has an interesting history. They certainly didn’t set out to market a skin cream but that was the only thing they could get funding for. I recommend trying it. I used it on my face and on my left hand and arm. Originally nothing on my right arm and then my rapamycin cream on my right hand and arm. The left hand and arm won. But definitely wear sunscreen when you use it.

7 Likes

I’ve read this entire thread a few times (although focus and reading comprehension may be an issue) and must confess I am confused a bit with one aspect of a Rapamycin based skin treatment. (I’m not doubting it is effective, but only in how to integrate it with other therapies). I am working on incorporating the terrific ideas here in this threat, with some “regrowth/rejuvenation” from GSK-Cu or other potential compounds, as well as hyarulonic acid. I am thinking of two different water/DMSO spray treatments daily: one in the morning (with Rapamycin) and one at night (with retinol-A), and similar for a @Agetron hair tonic but with some slightly different ingredients). But I am confused based on my (simplistic) assumptions of how the main ingredients will impact my hair/skin:

o. Rapamycin inhibits MTOR so should slow cellular aging by slowing cells from reacting to stimulus?

o. Retinol-A (or other potent vitamin A derivatives) stimulate “regrowth” (I assume through killing the already-near-death surface cells)?

o. There are other serums which promote cellular regrowth, to thicken skin and regain elasticity? Topical GSK-Cu in DMSO is the one I’ve selected but others are suggested as well.

o. There are hydrating elements such as hyarulonic acid which have good impact on adding moisture (and thus volume) to skin, as well as skin health. Won’t this clash with retinol-A impacts?

I’m thinking of two separate “serums”:

MORNING: Rapamycin in sparing DMSO and water, sprayed on skin (and hair with minoxidil).
NIGHT: retinol-A in sparing DMSO and water, sprayed on skin (and minoxidil for hair)

Where do I put the regrowth/rejuvenation compound (GSK-Cu)? Where do I put the hyarulonic acid? Do I need to use different serums in alternating weeks?

The most common protocol for oral Rapamycin seems to be a “pulsed” approach of weekly or every two weeks. Why are we administering topical Rapamycin daily on skin instead of “pulsed”? — won’t that negate some of the positive impacts of cellular regrowth? (This must mot be an issue because I see many of you are using this protocol with high effectiveness, and dr green and others have prescribed this to many patients for years and might have noticed if it wasn’t working)

I see some people using Retinol-A (etc) daily topically on their skin (perhaps nat might) and Rapamycin daily as well (perhaps in the morning). Don’t these two effectively cancel each other out? (I don’t think they do because some of you are using this protocol will high effectiveness)

If I want to incorporate a regrowth/rejuvenation element such as GSK-Cu into a topical treatment, won’t this negate the effects of Rapamycin (or vice versa)? Will I this need to pulse my treatments every few days/weekly to see benefits from both protocols? For that matter, won’t this clash with the Reitmo-A treatment as well?

If I want to incorporate a hydrating element such as hyarulonic acid into a topical treatment, wouldn’t this clash with the Retinol-A treatment and be better with the Rapamycin treatment?

I’d love to hear thoughts on this, and especially where I’ve erred. Thank you.

3 Likes

At this time I am using the mister/spray every other day or so. Sometimes I forget to use it so sometimes it might be 3 or 4 days between applications. Also, when I run out I take a break before I make a new batch.

2 Likes

FWIW there are lots of otc serums that combine HA and retinol.

2 Likes

They have at best a temporary effect. The one major paper on mesotherapy with Rejuran Healer was retracted due to a conflict of interest. Stick with tretinoin (thousands of studies confirmed benefits) or tazarotene. You can microneedle with it. Also use very high UVA protection sunscreens (European or Asian).

Any other regular use topicals will pale in comparison.

Microneedling itself may have some benefit, probably more so for younger people because the collagen building response is blunted after age 40. Home peels might have some benefit, depending on the pH, vehicle, concentration, and frequency. Anything else is likely to provide dubious value or have insufficient evidence.

And yes, I’ve microneedled with PDRN, exosomes, HA cocktails, and even botox. I’m not impressed, but I’ve been DIYing for decades now.

After 46 years of tret/taz and 30 years of high UVA protection sunscreens (+ hat/visor/sunglasses) these still impress me. Also–they are cheap!

9 Likes

It is really sad that the FDA has made it impossible for the United States to avail itself of any of the significant advances in sunscreen protection over the past 30-50 years.

6 Likes