How to Reverse Skin Aging

So then maybe you need this? Somebody mentioned it upstream in this thread, I think.

I actually ordered some, not sure why. Appears to even more expensive than OneSkin. The website pictures I don’t find persuasive, and this study, lol.

But reading about the founding company was interesting. They have a treatment for diabetic foot ulcers in phase 1, due to complete in June.

As an aside, I’m past eight weeks using adapalene, it seems to have had a noteworthy positive impact.

2 Likes

hello,
it doesn’t really matter actually. The tretinoin is acting directly on the fibroblast. Putting the moisturizer before or after doesn’t impact that. But the moisturizer will help with the dryness and the redness.

2 Likes

on my neck the skin is much more prone to redness in winter, so I apply some bepanthenol after tretionoin and I have no redness. tried vice versa, but somehow i still got redness in winter (redness is limited to skin folds, where skin folds naturally, but there is where mimic wrinkles start forming, so in a way it makes them visible). In summer I personally have no need for additional bepanthenol over tretinoin. But my skin is really robust, I can apply tretinoin on my periorbital area without any problems or redness. But I try to not apply it on damp skin e.g. right after washing or showering… I noticed my skin doesn’t like it and would protest with a bit of redness or itching in the corners of the eye and around nostrils.

1 Like

Autophagy: a target for retinoic acids - PubMed.

1 Like

The abstract

“Autophagy is an intracellular catabolic process that responds with great sensitivity to nutrient availability, implying that certain macro- or micro-nutrients are involved. We found that retinoic acid promotes autophagosome maturation through a pathway independent from the classic nuclear retinoid receptors. Retinoic acid redistributes the cation-independent mannose-6-phosphate receptor from the trans-Golgi region to maturing autophagosomal structures inducing their acidification. Manipulation of the autophagic activity by retinoids could have enormous health implications, since they are essential dietary components and frequently used pharmaceuticals.”

What are examples of health implications?

1 Like

From the paper:

"Retinoic acid redistributes the cation-independent mannose-6-phop-shate receptor from the trans-Golgi region to maturing autophagosomal structures inducing their acidification. "

Personally I would be nervous about anything that makes cells more acidic. The cellular response to this could be to deacetylate the histone in order to get back to an alkaline state.

1 Like

It has nothing to do with acidification of the cell per se… mature autophagosome is acidic. It is one of cell structures that initiates autophagy of cell. It needs to be acidic to start this process. @Melih autophagy is disrupted in cancer and number of diseases (neurodegenerative diseases, metabolic disorders, infectious diseases, premature aging…). So if we take control autophagy we might find cures for these diseases.

3 Likes

Sinclair: Tretinoin is accelerating skin aging, bc it triggers cell turnover.
Also Sinclair: Microneedling is a hormetic stressor and rejuvenates skin.

3 Likes

Retinoids reduce wrinkles by boosting cell growth and collagen. New study shows they might actually be slowing aging (Sirt1 ➡️ mTOR). #skincare #beauty https://t.co/NgwwIGKIpc pic.twitter.com/oOStTKM3ne

— David Sinclair (@davidasinclair) May 31, 2021

All-trans retinoic acid reduces mammalian target of rapamycin via a Sirtuin1-dependent mechanism in neurons

Neuroinflammation has emerged as a key contributor in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease (AD). Mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) is a key regulator of metabolism, cell growth and protein synthesis. And an elevated mTOR activity has been detected in AD-affected brain areas. Previous studies have suggested that all-trans retinoic acid (at RA) and rapamycin (RAPA), an mTOR inhibitor, protect lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced neuronal inflammation through inhibiting nuclear import of NFκB. The aim of this study was to test the effects of at RA on mTOR expression. Here we discovered that mTOR and p-mTOR expression are elevated in LPS-treated mice or primary rat neurons, while at RA blocks the mTOR gene upregulation via a SIRT1-dependent mechanism. The results of this study demonstrated that at RA may protect LPS-induced neuronal inflammation through suppressing mTOR signaling.

4 Likes

This software service might be helpful for tracking skin aging over time - does anyone here have any experience with it?

https://haut.ai

Its a tiny company out of Estonia: Haut.AI - Crunchbase Company Profile & Funding

Although it seems like it might be just a platform for selling women more cosmetics with a veneer of science behind it… its hard to tell:

https://www.instagram.com/haut.ai/?hl=en

2 Likes

Another interesting paper:

The 2018 paper:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41419-018-0765-9

7 Likes

If the mitochondria are less efficient the cell has less energy and does not produce enough of the longer proteins.

1 Like

Have not yet checked it carefully but … The Science | One Truth 818

I’ve tried this product and at least for me it made no difference whatsoever. I gave it a month. It wasn’t well formulated, sticky and not very pleasant. There is another company called IDEO that claims to have a similar product. Currently testing that and again not really seeing an substantial improvement.

1 Like

There is also The Derma company with their TA65. Expensive, ouch

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that all of these products are licensed out of Bill Andrews lab. I’m not really sure what to make of him. He’s a quite well known and seemingly respected scientist in aging circles, but for all of his certainty of his research and notoriety he appears to be unable to attract any serious investment- at leas that’s what he frequently says. He seems to be licensing out his discoveries to very small companies with very little reach and I’m not sure if it’s a lack of business acumen or just a sign that what he has to offer just isn’t very compelling. The prices are insane and I can’t imagine why anyone would pay for it without some seriously amazing results, and there just doesn’t seem to be any evidence of that.

2 Likes

I spoke with Matt K. at the last conference and asked about these type of telomere extending products such as from Sierra Sciences. Matt said many of these compounds have been around for many years but the fact that there is very little positive science being published on them and very few of them are duplicated by independent labs seems to suggest that there isn’t much there. If there was something there, the science should be there (at least that is is what Matt’s argument was, and I can see the case he’s making).

Personally I’m a fan of Carl Sagan. He had a saying… Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"… and I tend to agree with that.

12 Likes

I totally agree on this. Although some of the telomere gene therapy is quite interesting, but I’m not really convinced by any of these products that purport to extend telomere length. If there was anything in it, we’d know already.
I think Carl Sagan hit the telomere on the head there.

3 Likes

Yes, if something truly works, it soon becomes a big thing because the results are seen. I am going to try Korean rejuran heal this Spring or Summer. Different mechanisms of action, not affecting telomeres but there are quite a few papers on Salmon PDRN as for a very new product and it becomes a hype in Asia. I will report to you here what my experiences are.

3 Likes

Thank you. Please keep us posted.

2 Likes