How do I/or should I introduce my family doctor to the subjects of rapamycin and senolytic therapy?

Several years ago I successfully got my physician of many years to prescribe rapamycin after sending him a bunch of articles and excerpts from Dr. Green’s website and Dr. Blagosklonny, and then showing him a printout of 100 pages of collected notes (which he copied for himself). But he was a very open minded outside-the-box physician to begin with. He later agreed to additionally prescribe dasatinib for me. Now he has retired.

My new family doctor is very traditional. I dont want to have to hide my anti-aging regimen from him, but I dont want to freak him out either. I’m sure many of us have the same question: how do I introduce my old-school internist to what I am doing? And how much do I want to tell him?

With an upcoming physical I would like to have introduced the subject, although the physical will be done by the nurse practitioner. I wonder if I should reschedule the physical to be seen by the doctor.

Since I will be expected to submit my current list of drugs and supplements, I could list them all and provide some reference links to relevant publications for rapamycin and D&Q. That might be overwhelming to someone who has not been following the area of longevity. I wouldn’t want him to believe he is taking on liability by knowing that I am taking off label untraditional drugs. What would be the simplest and most convincing articles? I wouldnt expect him to take a deep dive.

I’m really conflicted when it comes to wanting to inform my doctor, even if I don’t ask him to write prescriptions. Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Really good question. This is a very, very common problem many of us are facing. I will create a wicki page here where everyone can contribute, especially the doctors here, on the papers and resources they found compelling and helpful. That way we can just forward that link to our doctors and they can start there.

3 Likes

We don’t tell them squat. Tried that several times with metformin and they all freaked out.
I find most doctors only know standard of care and have little incentive to go outside that rigid thinking.

6 Likes

I thought it would be safe to tell my new primary care doc that I’d been taking metformin for 15 years since I have been borderline prediabetic all that time (A1C ~ 5.6, fasting glucose~ 100) , and that acarbose and jardiance have been bringing down both measures of insulin resistance. According to him,though, I shouldnt be taking any of those since I’m not diabetic, and in fact I shouldnt be taking any suplements or even a multi vitamin.

I cant just keep changing doctors. So I wont “tell him squat” from now on. Its too late to start lying about taking the ir drugs at next visit. I would like to tell him when it comes up again that I know what he says is correct, however I’m following findings on diabetes prevention from … and give him a source that he would respect, even if he disagrees. Does anyone know such a source? Maybe the 15 year RCT Diabetes Prevention Program (for metformin)?

What, if any, would be a source that a traditional internist might respect regarding acarbose or SGLT2 inhibitors as diabetic preventives?

1 Like

Good questions… this is something almost all of us run into at some point…

First of all - to go back to your first question - now that this new book is available on rapamycin - I am going to be giving a copy of it to my doctor and also to family members and friends:

On the issue of Acarbose and Canagliflozin / SGLT2 inhibitors - perhaps the papers listed on these two pages?

Acarbose - another anti-aging drug

Canagliflozin - another anti-aging drug

If you are a member of the PeterAttiaMD website - I’d recommend you save the Richard Miller Podcast notes as a PDF and send your doctor those also…

1 Like