How Do I Get Rapamycin for My Dog?

My dog is doing great on rapamycin. But she’s only 4 years old (and a smallish dog at 24lbs) so I don’t expect her to be aging very quickly anyway. I’m doing this for long term preventative purposes, not for any immediate benefit.

2 Likes

Found this today;

4 Likes

A reasonable price and there really is no reason why this rapamycin could not be used by people too. I assume its the same as the rapamycin they give to people.

1 Like

Anyone using CYP3A4 inhibitors on dogs? I saw grapefruit and, in general, citrus fruits are not very good for dogs. But any ideas of other alternatives that can be used with dogs?

My dog is getting her rapamycin from Dr. Kevin Toman at Natural Pet Health. She does 3 mg on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. She weighs 60 pounds.

I have seen amazing results. She had early arthritis due to an injury and often favored her back right leg. She does none of that after rapamycin. She is 3 years old and I was worried was not going to be able to be very active but she is doing fantastic.

4 Likes

Loyal, the canine longevity company, announces the publication of their first primary data publication which is now live in GeroScience

Loyal is the San Francisco based longevity biotech startup that is focused (initially at least) on longevity drugs for dogs. Their first drug is due out next year (2024) and is targeting the IGF1 pathway (lowering growth hormone levels to increase lifespan). More information on Loyal and their drugs can be found in these threads:

Here The Longevity Summit, News & Update - #9 by RapAdmin
Here The Search for a Pill That Can Help Dogs—and Humans—Live Longer (Wired Magazine)
Here Video Interview: Celine Halioua, Founder of Loyal, a biotech startup developing drugs to extend dog lifespan

2 Likes

Wow that seems like a lot of Rapa for 60 lbs x3 weekly. Any side effects? Thanks for sharing!

I have not noticed any side effects whatsoever perhaps except a lot more cases of the “zoomies” I think dogs clear medicines out of their systems faster perhaps is why the dose is so often.

I think that is the same dose that is being used at the Dog Aging Project How Did the Dog Aging Project Begin? - Dog Aging Project

Dr. Matt Kaeberlein is one of the main sponsors and I understand he is a strong supporter of using rapamycin.

2 Likes

The latest update on the Dog Aging Project by Matt Kaeberlein, just posted on Youtube:

5 Likes

An interesting post on twitter…

2 Likes

I’ve got a 12 year old Doberman who is healthy, but definitely getting up there in age. Going to start her on Rapa very soon, but I am wondering if anyone knows if there could be a conflict with the Apoquel she is taking for her seasonal allergies?

2 Likes

I give my 10lb dog half of a 5 mg tablet each week , now in her 6th week . She seems to eat more and is very playful with lots of energy, she is 8 years old .

3 Likes

I give my 10lb dog half of a 5 mg tablet each week

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but pills cannot be cut in half. They are coated with a special protective layer that ensures proper absorption.

1 Like

Hi
First, I made a mistake, it is a 2 mg pill not a 5 mg pill. I have a special pill cutter, and there is a line in the middle of the pill which indicates half of the pill and the cutter.does the job perfectly. Because my little dog does not have any teeth, I have to disguise the pill by breaking it into smaller pieces and putting it in fresh cooked liver . So it does not appear to be that the 2 mg pills have a special coating, please correct me if I am wrong.

1 Like

I have a special pill cutter, and there is a line in the middle of the pill which indicates half of the pill and the cutter.does the job perfectly

As far as I understand it at the point of cut, there will be no protective layer and the medication may not be absorbed because it will dissolve too quickly.

The leaflet included with Pfizer’s Rapamune clearly states that the medicine should not be divided. Perhaps you have the medication in a different form, but at least I adhere to these recommendations.

2 Likes

I’ve been cutting 1mg pills in half for my 14 pound chihuahua. They seem to work although it may not be optimal.

2 Likes

Generally, unless you have evidence to the contrary, I think we should assume you can’t pill-split with rapamycin tablets because rapamycin is extremely non-bioavailable generally, and it likely just gets destroyed in the stomach if you cut the pill in half and break the barrier/coating that the tablet has integrated into it.

Better to have a slightly higher dosing but spread out the dosing periods (say, from once per week to once every two weeks), or go lower dose, and dose more frequently than once per week (e.g. once every 3 day).

6 Likes

Measuring aging in a dog - a good look at it from the company developing anti-aging drugs for dogs:

1 Like

More press coverage of rapamycin for dogs… and people:

The dogs, and their owners, as well as researchers conducting the study, have no way of knowing exactly what dose of medication the dogs are taking, or if they’re even on any medication at all. The study is designed so that while some dogs get medicine, other dogs get placebo pills. That way, researchers hope to actually figure out the real effect of this drug on dog lifespan.

Cleary says it might be “wishful thinking” but he’s convinced that after a few months on the pills, he started to notice a difference in his dog.

“We’d throw a little lacrosse ball in the backyard, I’d see him jumping off our rock wall,” Cleary said, “He just seemed to have more energy.”

Dennis’s owner Veronica Munsey also said,“This could be totally wishful thinking,” but she’s almost certain her dog’s hair, which had been going gray for some time, started to darken again after he began taking the weekly pills.

More information: https://dogagingproject.org/

Dog Aging Project TRIAD Study

2 Likes

Ive been giving my 6 yo Golden retriever rapamycin for about 1.5 months now. She has tolerated it well (0.15 mg / kg). She normally gets small areas of her skin that develop a red hive like look and then she licks it until it usually gets infected. We treat them with hydrogen peroxide topically and some steroid cream after the infection is controlled. She would get these about once every 3 months in the past but there seems to be an increase in frequency now and I’m wondering if it is related to the rapamycin. Anyone else have a dog prone to this sort of thing that has seen an increase once starting rapamycin? Since skin issues are so prevalent in humans, and this seems to be immunologic in etiology, I think it is possible the rapamycin is making it more frequent. She has had three different sites in the last two weeks.

2 Likes