Has Anyone Seen a Rise in Blood Pressure Using Rapamycin?

Only way for BP to not rise with age is a very low sodium diet, probaby <=500 mg a day. Very significant if true. Low apoB gets rid of heart disease. Low sodium get rids of high BP. What’s next? I will have to see what governments are saying is important to reduce cancer next.

2 Likes

Haven’t looked into this that much yet. Can you point to a good source on that point?

1 Like

Even if you reship the cuff, the app you’ll need to read it does not appear to be available in US app stores. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Not excellent BP: elevated. Normal BP <120 mmHg systolic.

1 Like

Good point. It’s been a while since I have done it, but you should be able to have someone download the app in Europe, send it too you, and then “side load” it onto your android phone.

I don’t think you can do this in apple phones.

There is a podcast at the end of my sodium thread, he points to the Yanomamo not having an increase in bp.

Aktiia says the following "The Aktiia mobile application is available through the Apple Store and Google Play, registered in a European country. "

It might be possible to change the region:

I don’t know if it is, if you need a european credit card. You should make sure you can install the app first and get to the point of registering the cuff, before ordering.

1 Like

125/80 is my BP nowadays. I do get some outlier readings at 110, 120, 132 or even 145, but after retesting in about 15 minutes, it always goes back to 125/80. I use the hospital or pharmacy BP machines to test.

A home BP device is about GBP 25.

1 Like

Ah… its not that hard to do (at least on Android);

https://cybernews.com/how-to-use-vpn/change-google-play-country/

A little more difficult on Apple:

2 Likes

Cuff size dramatically alters bp readings. “Individuals with a wide range of arm circumferences were tested in a randomized, crossover design to compare blood pressure readings using too-small, too-large, or appropriately sized blood pressure cuffs. The authors found that for individuals with smaller arm circumferences, using a too-large (“regular”) cuff consistently underestimated systolic blood pressure (-3.6 mmHg), while for individuals with larger arm circumferences, using a too-small “regular” cuff consistently overestimated systolic blood pressure (+4.8 mmHg for “large” arms and +19.5 mmHg for “extra large” arms). These results provide further motivation for learning to measure blood pressure at home to ensure more accurate measurements than are likely to be obtained with the one-size-fits-all approach employed in many doctors’ offices.” Attias, Dec 2023

1 Like

A newly launched device:

Company: Charmcare co., Ltd. https://charmcare.com/h2bp

Category: Wearable Technologies

The H2Care team developed the world’s first truly wearable blood pressure monitor.

The H2-BP is the smallest and lightest blood pressure monitor in the world that can be worn as a watch. With its own app, users can check the necessary data at any time. The H2-BP provides convenience, and a pleasing aesthetic, for a process that could be otherwise troublesome.

The wearable is Korean FDA approved and can measure blood pressure immediately in case of emergencies. Through the app, users are able to see blood pressure values measured in various forms, and they can remotely authorize users such as care providers and doctors to view stored blood pressure values as well.

In addition to blood pressure information, the H2-BP also provides activity tracking, like other activity wearables.

5 Likes

Yesterday I alternated brisk walking with jogging for 1 hour. After 1 h rest my BP fell to 107/60/50.

4 Likes

… a surgical procedure called ultrasound renal denervation could safely and effectively treat hypertension

Research:

3 Likes

I just started rapa and encountered the blood pressure spike. The first week I was on 2mg and didn’t notice any symptoms. The second week I bumped up to 5mg and 24hrs later I felt my heart pounding when doing low exertion movements (like just standing up). I checked my blood pressure and it read 180/110 (I’m normally 118/70).

The elevated aldosterone and constriction of blood vessels explanation sounds plausible to me, during the spikes when I checked my blood pressure my heart rate would spike as the monitoring cuff was relaxing and hit 100+bpm, whereas normally my resting heart rate is in the 40s. I went to the ER on the second day post taking rapa (after I recorded a 200/110 reading in the late afternoon) and they ran blood tests and EKG. Everything came back normal and within range so I was released.

The pattern I noticed was elevated blood pressure for 48-72 hours like others have mentioned. In the morning and late evening I’d see 138/80 and during mid day it spiked to 170+/100. I was in bed both days after taking rapa, didn’t eat anything or drink anything, yet the spike just suddenly appeared around noon at both the 24hr and 48hr mark (noon of each day).

At the 76hr mark from taking rapa, my blood pressure is back to 121/70 and my headache is gone.

I’m deliberating whether to continue with rapa at a much lower dose (like 1mg or so) or discontinue.

Hi Kas, welcome to the forums. Thanks for sharing your experience. As a general strategy on dosing I think a much more cautious ramp on dosing is advisable. I started at 1mg/week for several weeks, then bumped it up to 2mg once per week for 3 weeks, then 3 mg… and have never had any issues other than a mouth sore at 5mg/week but then it went away and never had it again. See: What is the Rapamycin Dose / Dosage for Anti-Aging or Longevity?

It seems some percentage of people respond with a higher blood pressure response. Take it slow if you try again, and definitely don’t continue if you aren’t getting a positive response. As with all drugs, rapamycin probably isn’t for everyone.

2 Likes

has anyone tried natto?
I saw a really scary increase in BP last week… It’s usually 100/70 but I saw it as high as 131/92 a few days ago… and 126/78 today. I did take some rapamycin with ketacon* like 1.5 weeks ago or smg and I guess I have to monitor something I’m not used to monitoring
at A4M last december i was tested low on NO. I should be getting more garlic and ginger [small amounts each time] though they aren’t easy to eat in bulk

doesn’t seem “whole enough” but might still be worth trying

===

Rev. Cardiovasc. Med. 2023; 24(8): 234 Nattokinase Supplementation and Cardiovascular Risk Factors: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials

===

==

I saw a scary increase before in January 2022 - this was after a lot of nut binges, and it did go down the month after…

Over what period are you measuring BP. It can take a bit of time to settle down.

I take that nattokinase, plus add another 2000fu to it. I don’t think it affects BP. I would say to take citrulline, eat lots of celery and avoid mouthwash. @Joseph_Lavelle had a couple episodes on this I think, and NO is a big deal.

Arginine too? Bitter melons? SOME cucumbers?
I exhausted my arginine supplement last month, evidently it didn’t really help…