GLYNAC Stimulates Mitochondrial Biogenesis

In 70+ yo humans, mitochondrial biogenesis returns to levels on young adults in their 20s. Simply amazing.

7 Likes
2 Likes

GlyNAC, a combination of glycine and N-Acetylcysteine (NAC), has shown promising effects in improving various age-associated defects in older adults. Letā€™s explore how GlyNAC impacts kidney health and compare it to rapamycin:

1. GlyNAC and Kidney Health:

• Mitochondrial Function: GlyNAC optimizes mitochondrial function, which is essential for overall health. Healthy mitochondria play a crucial role in maintaining kidney function.
    • Reducing Oxidative Stress: GlyNAC increases intracellular levels of the antioxidant glutathione, which helps reduce oxidative stress. Lower oxidative stress can benefit kidney healthĀ¹Ā².
    • Metabolic Health: GlyNAC may improve metabolic health in conditions characterized by high oxidative stress, such as type 2 diabetes (T2D) and agingĀ¹.
  2. Rapamycin and Kidney Health:

• Renal Protective Effects: Rapamycin (sirolimus) appears to be renal protective and can ameliorate renal interstitial inflammation and fibrosisāµ.
    • Mechanism: Rapamycin inhibits the mTOR pathway, which affects cell growth and immune response.
    • Nephrotoxicity: While rapamycin is generally safe for healthy kidneys, evidence suggests that it can be nephrotoxic in certain disease statesā“ā¶.
  3. Comparison:

• GlyNAC vs. Rapamycin:
      • GlyNAC: Supports overall health, including kidney function, by reducing oxidative stress and improving metabolic parameters.
      • Rapamycin: Renal protective but can be nephrotoxic in specific contexts. It has immunosuppressive properties and affects the mTOR pathway.
  4. Conclusion:

• Both GlyNAC and rapamycin have potential benefits, but their effects on kidney health differ. GlyNAC seems to enhance overall well-being, while rapamycinā€™s impact depends on the contextĀ¹ā“āµ.

Remember that individual responses to supplements and medications can vary, and consulting a healthcare provider is crucial for personalized advice.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 3/14/2024
(1) GlyNAC benefits, dosage, and side effects - Examine. GlyNAC benefits, dosage, and side effects.
(2) Guide To GlyNAC: Benefits, Dosage & Risks | Vitality Pro. https://vitality-pro.com/glynac/benefits-dosage-side-effects-gly/.
(3) Rapamycin and chronic kidney disease: beyond the inhibition of inflammation. https://www.kidney-international.org/article/S0085-2538(15)51426-9/pdf.
(4) Nephrotoxicity of rapamycin: an emerging problem in clinical medicine. Nephrotoxicity of rapamycin: an emerging problem in clinical medicine | Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation | Oxford Academic.
(5) Rapamycin Ameliorates Kidney Fibrosis by Inhibiting the ā€¦ - PLOS. Rapamycin Ameliorates Kidney Fibrosis by Inhibiting the Activation of mTOR Signaling in Interstitial Macrophages and Myofibroblasts.
(6) GlyNAC and Aging: Whatā€™s the Science Behind | HealthNews. https://healthnews.com/longevity/longevity-supplements/glynac-increase-longevity-science-behind/.
(7) The potential benefits of rapamycin on renal function, tolerance ā€¦ https://www.kidney-international.org/article/S0085-2538(15)54443-8/pdf.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing, great comparison of NAC and Rapamycin. Consider the detox affect of NAC, if you take both of them, will you stop NAC the day when you take rapamycin?

2 Likes

Nac doesnā€™t detox, ir is necessary for the production of glutathione which protects the cell against free radicals when breaking down toxins. The breaking down of toxins will happen regardless of glutathione status

1 Like

I read more about NAC and decided to take it only once per week, when not taking Rapamycin. A possibility of developing a lung cancer scared me. I take Glycine separately and more often with my collagen peptides on days with no Rapa. I also developed a habit of asking GPT-4 about contraindications for supplements that I combine. Itā€™s a nice tool to use. Trying to reduce the number of supplements per day :grinning:

7 Likes

Just to be clear, there is no strong evidence that typical supplemental NAC doses meaningfully increase lung cancer risk.

All of the studies I looked at were of mice. NAC did not cause lung cancer it only increased its growth. Many anti-oxidants like vitamin E also do this.
Too many anti-oxidants are not a good thing.

Some strains of lab mice are more prone to develop cancers.
High cancer susceptibility strains like AKR mice develop leukemia and lung tumors spontaneously.
ā€œFor example, 50 to 90% of aged mice die of cancer3ā€“5, while in humans this number is approximately 23%ā€ ā€œMechanisms of cancer resistance in long-lived mammals - PMCā€

8 Likes

More than six months on 7 grams/each component, every day, divided on three takes of GlyNAC. No probs so far. Blood works OK but a BIG ā€˜butā€™: you never get used to NACs terrible taste, mostly in the morning. A possible trick: dilute both in water some 1/2hour before taking it, seems to reduce bitterness somehow.

Now in a 2 weeks pause.

1 Like

ā€œyou never get used to NACs terrible tasteā€

Why are you using powder? I use 1 gram tablets so of course there is no taste.

5 Likes

3x2,5 grams per day of both, glycine and NAC, with meals based on the famous study on glyNAC advantages for elder ones. I am 65.

I take NAC powder because otherwise the amount of pills or capsules I should have to swallow would be unpractical. Iā€™ve tried capsules but at the end the day my throat was claiming ā€˜half a moment, pleaseā€™. Three gulps a day is OK for me.

On the other hand, the unpleasant seconds of NACs bad taste go away in a moment when you drink a bit of water after. But, undoubtely, your tongue has to pay the toll if you want to get the benefits. In my case at least.

4 Likes

I also go with the 1 g NOW tablets to avid the taste of NAC. I take two in the morning and two at night.

I also get the NOW 600 mg capsule with Selenium and Mo as the price is cheaper for NAC than the tablets and you get the other two trace elements for free. I only take one of those per day otherwise itā€™s too much Selenium.

1 Like

or put in a capsule, itā€™s actually sort of fun to do (be sure to buy the capsules separated, not assembled!)

2 Likes

i read some posts said NAC dull the effect of medicine, coffee, etc. Thatā€™s why i asked should i stop taking NAC on the day of rapamycin?

Those posts are incorrect as I explained above

1 Like