Glycine+NAC vs Rapamycin

Thank you LKB. You are correct. ITP did it on glycine only.

1 Like

Got my mother’s blood work back after 2 months of taking NAC and Glycine. The results are

Hba1c has gone from 9.3 to 8.4. this is a good step in the right direction and what is expected from GLYNAC. However it still shows she is diabetic.

CRP less than .5 which shows very little inflammation. Unfortunately no reference from before as we just started testing this. This is also to be expected from GLYNAC.

Triglycerides went up from 303 mg/DL to 389 mg/DL. This is still in the moderate-high zone of 200-499. Not sure what the issue is here. GLYNAC is not supposed to affect this. Thoughts?

Glucose went from 205 mg/DL to 124 mg/DL. This is excellent and was an expected outcome of GLYNAC. This puts her closer to not being diabetic.

The diabetic factors improved significantly but she is still not in the clear. The triglycerides seem to be a problem but I have not heard if they are related to GLYNAC

Other standouts from the blood test:

Transferrin was at 356 mg/DL. The doctor marked this as high towards the upper limit. This means her iron levels are low. Not sure if this is truly a bad thing.

White Blood Cell count is 10.3 k/MCL. Unfortunately we do not have the prior count to compare. Probably unrelated to GLYNAC.

Those are the major standouts in her blood work after taking GLYNAC. Good news, my mother in law and sister in law will probably start supplementing as they are both diabetic. This will bring our family study up to n=5

Overall very pleased with the results as they show what was expected from the study. Lower diabetic factors and lower inflammation.

8 Likes

According to Dr. Stanfield in his newest video, Glycine and TMG reduce homocysteine levels which help reduce the risks of dementia. These were the only supplements listed.

3 Likes

This study on GlyNac was published on 08/17 and shows remarkable results. Can’t see the dosing.

2 Likes

Yes, Premranjan Kumar at Baylor is the primary researcher in Glycine and NAC. He did the study on older adults that led me to decide on this course of treatment for my entire family. He was also behind the mouse study of GLYNAC that showed a 24% increase in lifespan. My family and I are only 2 months into taking GLYNAC, but so far the results match up with this so I do believe in it!

It’s too bad that they used two supplements at once because it could all be glycine. Glycine alone has been shown to improve mitochondrial function, reduces oxidative stress, increases glutathione levels, and may extend lifespan.

The problem with NAC is that it causes histamine release which could give anaphylaxis in certain people. It does give me heart palpitations.

They used both Glycine and NAC because those are the building blocks of Glutathione (along with glutamine). Glycine by itself is beneficial, but when combined with NAC, you get a lot of additional benefits such as decreased glutamine, increased glutathione and all the benefits to blood sugar and inflammation as referenced in the studies.

2 Likes

Okay, but take a look at just glycine:

3 Likes

Glycine is probably the better of the two, although NAC also suppresses cytokines and mucus and therefore blunts the effects of COVID… at least according to some doctors. I believe both are necessary for optimal results regarding blood sugar, insulin and inflammation. Glycine definitely tastes better!

1 Like

Study below suggests that glycine plus tryptophan improves kidney function in healthy persons.

https://www.ffhdj.com/index.php/ffhd/article/download/774/1379

1 Like

I started supplementing NAC early March 2020, before the lockdowns and before tin foil hatters started recommending it and mainstream media started to slag off its use. Because it made sense from a medical standpoint. Not only is it mucolytic it is of course also a precursor to the most important antioxidant in the human body and frequently given in the case of some kind of poisonings (eg paracetamol) to aid the body in detoxifying…

4 Likes

Just curious if any here use Glycine at night to get a deeper sleep? I’ve seen a few people recommend this, and it does have a handful of studies pointing in this direction.

5 Likes

Thanks. That was interesting and glycine is popping up more and more as health promoting , either alone or in combination. I’d like to see the study go a little longer.

1 Like

I and my parents can testify that Glycine definitely helps you sleep better. n=3

3 Likes

I sometimes get the heart problem too. It was when I was all in on the GlyNac that I got my first afib. I’m taking about a third of the dose now and use the full dose of glycine. My idea was that maybe all the NAC would be used up and not mess with my heart.

It seems to be working since I’ve had no trouble.

With afib, Kendrick says 80% of it is caused by low magnesium, so I doubled mine. That could be what the problem was.

3 Likes

Belated response, but I have used glycine for years on-and-off to improve sleep (5g). I combined it with melatonin (5mg) which I have taken each night for a long time. The combination worked well for me. It seems though that when I added glycine initially I would experience improved sleeping habits (easier to fall asleep and stay asleep), but after a while those effects seemed to wean off. I’ve had that experience nearly each time I used glycine. Ultimately I kept a jar of glycine and would only use it intermittently for sleep. Would love to hear if anyone else had a different experience.

What works best for me for a good night of sleep is 1) a truly pitch black bedroom (also without any light at all from electronics) 2) wearing earplugs and ensuring that there is no noise 3) using dimmed lights and red lights in the evening, that are positioned lower/closer to the floor 4) using F.lux and wearing blue light blocking glasses in the evening 5) adding supplemental melatonin. 6) ideally a cooler bedroom temperature. I had had severe sleeping problems for many years, but this stopped that right in its tracks. As soon as I mess with the pitch black bedroom (as I did the past days) I’m wide awake.

7 Likes

I haven’t taken any supplements to help me sleep so far. A new mattress with an adjustable bed frame has helped. I also have a bed jet that cycles between hot air to start and cool air the rest of the night. That coupled with a summer weight 1000 fill down comforter works great. I’m still working on eating dinner earlier and regular sleep schedules.

The most radical thing I have done is to stop drinking alcohol. I still have 3000 bottles of wine and that’s the love of my life so this has just been a test for the last couple of months. But I think I would choose sleep over alcohol. Light is key. I think I’ve tried every sleep mask. I like this one best.

MZOO Luxury Sleep Mask for Side Sleeper

5 Likes

I’ve heard from a few people that Glycine’s sleep improvement is only temporary… and some, like Huberman, use it every other day, so that it can maintain its effectiveness.

I pretty much do everything that you do, with a few tweaks. For me, the most important thing was aligning my lifestyle to my internal clock. I switched my eating window, to 8am - 1pm, and it’s made quite a big difference.

4 Likes

This is also my major pitfall: eating too late. It does affect my fasting blood glucose - not good.
I don’t want to get off-topic too much in this thread, as it is the GlyNac-thread after all, but I’d love to see a thread about sleeping habits. Sleep is so important healthwise. Would love to hear also whether people track their sleep, using what devices, and if they have seen improvements etc.

Interesting, thanks for sharing! I did not realise that more people expressed only seeing temporary sleep improvements. The alternate day schedule sounds like an interesting option to try. My internal clock seems totally off - ‘night owl’ has become my nickname :roll_eyes:. Your early eating window seems pretty much ideal, also when it comes to fasting glucose levels overnight. But are you not hungry by the time you go to bed (which would keep me up)?

Thanks to OS 9, the Apple Watch has gone from being not very good to one of the best in the field. You still need an app like Athlytic to interpret the data. I still use my Oura ring but it’s not as accurate.

1 Like