Glycine+NAC vs Rapamycin

Yes, on topic- N-acetyl cysteine does not, which is helpful for this entire thread.

My point was missed- researching should never be assumed. Carnosine, a peptide made up of proteins suppresses mTOR. Beyond, there’s a dose dependant effect. Leucine, a SIRT1 activator has an addictive effect with metformin and does not activate mTOR1 at specified dosing regime. It has application to improve efficacy of metformin. It’s not as simple as putting leucine in a box in the context of elevated mTOR1 = deleterious.

Besides, amino acids do not activate mTOR1 in the presence rapamycin.

3 Likes

What if a significant part of the effect of rapamycin is hormetic, and NAC or GlyNAC can negate that? Similar negating effects of NAC have certainly been seen before. For ex. –

Rapamycin doesn’t seem to work via increased ROS signaling, so I wouldn’t be too worried, but who knows.

My kingdom for accurate in silico clinical trial modeling!!! Some day…

Brian, El Sueco

2 Likes

Anyone taking Glycine + NAC at the .1 x kg for Glycine, .13 x kg for NAC?

As noted from Dr. Green"s site

91kg/200lb - person
9gm of Glycine
12gm of NAC
per day

1 Like

Yes I have been taking it for almost a year now.

2 Likes

And what perceived results can you report? I ask as I too have been taking it (10 NAC 8 glycine) for a year now per Dr. Green’s recommendation. I may (or may not) have experienced a small endurance benefit. I most definitely have not experienced more than a small fraction of the benefits that the participants did in the study that DR. Green refers to.

2 Likes

Darn I was hoping for some clinical repeatable benefits reported.

Have you measured any of your biomarkers (phenoage, etc) for indications of “youthing”?

I only started using Morgan Levine about six months ago, but, no, no particularly notable results - but I having been doing most things “right” for a few years all the time, ie no bad carbs, no bad fats, moderate protein, low body fat, 4 hours zone 2 cardio per week, 2 hours quality strength training per week, etc. There might not be potential for great change.

1 Like

Glycine alone extended both median and maximum lifespan in rats by about 30%:

Study Title: “Dietary glycine supplementation mimics lifespan extension by dietary methionine restriction in Fisher 344 rats.

The FASEB Journal 25, 528.2-528.2, 2011. Joel Brind, Virginia Malloy, Ines Augie, Nicholas Caliendo, Joseph H Vogelman, Jay A Zimmerman, Norman Orentreich

6 Likes

There’s also a product called glyteine sold under the brand name Continual-G that’s promoted as a way to boost glutathione levels. (Link)

And then there’s a compound called NACET which is a derivative of N-AcetylCysteine that is believed to be more bioavailable and more efficiently boosts glutathione. It has recently been introduced as a supplement product.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23000913/

3 Likes

Any idea of the human dose equivalent?

1 Like

Dr. Brad Stanfield cautioned against liposomal Glutathione intake. The argument is that if you take the precursors to glutathione, NAC and glycine, your body can produce as much glutathione as needed. However, if you take the liposomal glutathione directly, your body can’t regulate it as well and you might overdose. Also, the precursors have additional health benefits such as cytokine repression and mucolytic properties that you will miss out on if you take glutathione directly. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Here is the link to the relevant information:

Stanfield recommends Serine instead of Glycine, but Serine has been linked to cancer, so I would avoid it. Glycine has not.

4 Likes

I take 3 g of NAC and 3 g of Glycine daily.

My parents are both taking 6 g of NAC and 6 g of Glycine daily. No bad side-effects. Parents said their sleep improved (waking fewer times) and had more energy. Mother is a diabetic and has inflammation issues. After starting Glycine and NAC supplementation, she finally had enough energy to start going to the gym and now goes 3x a week. She has never been to the gym before in her life.
It’s done wonders for her.

She will get her blood panels later this month so we can see how her inflammation, glucose and insulin figures have changed. Both parents have been taking these doses for about a month (mid-70s). However, the exercise will probably also have a positive effect, so it’s hard to quantify. But without the Glycine and NAC, she probably wouldn’t have started going to the gym, so…

5 Likes

Dang, I am halfway through the bottle of liposomal Glutathione, so in
the trash it goes.

This video is very informative about the positive effects seen in older (70+) individuals. The study was conducted by Baylor University and shows how glycine and NAC reduce inflammation as well as blood sugar and diabetes-related symptoms.

5 Likes

I have been on a similar glycine and NAC regimen as recommended by Dr. Green. But, the Baylor study was on a very small sample size (8 I believe). I have not seen any larger studies showing similar results in the year and one half since the Baylor study results were published. Furthermore, Baylor has a financial interest in a “Glynac” supplement. I have doubts that this approach is particularly valuable.

2 Likes

Do you and your parents take NAC and Glycine powder or capsules? Can you provide brands?

We take glycine powder as it is sweet like sugar and we just mix it into our coffee. It is less expensive this way and we don’t need to worry about anything that may be in the capsule. NAC we take in a capsule as it has a very unpleasant taste. We use the NOW brand for each. We purchase them from Walmart online. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware of Baylor’s financial interest. I am hoping they were professional and unbiased with their process and results. The ITP did a study with mice and their life expectancy increased 5% by taking glycine only.

For me it is kind of a version of Pascal’s wager. The supplements are cheap and have no major negative effects as far as I can tell (although it may increase and decrease the chance of certain types of cancer much like other antioxidants). If the ITP and Baylor are correct, we live longer. If not, I have been drinking off -flavoured coffee for nothing.

The final proof for me and my family will be when we get our next blood tests back. I will be looking for changes in inflammation and the other markers in the video above. I am optimistically hopeful.

1 Like

The ITP hasn’t tested the combination of glycine and NAC, however earlier this year a group of researchers from Baylor did publish a study reporting a 24% life extension.

1 Like