GERD, PPI use and longevity

I suffer GERD a few years now and the doctor told me I need to use PPI. There are about 400 million people worldwide who suffer the GERD. I think 15% (or more) of the population need daily treatment with PPI. Its inflammatory disease. It’s a big issue in a modern world.

The question is how to combine PPI and longevity? And how to reduce the consequences of PPI use. Do we have any PubMed data?

I was thinking that I can use Astaxantin (40 mg), cycling PPI use and Rapamycin.

You replied to me earlier. When I studied medicine I was taught gerd was caused by an insufficient sphincter, something you were born with and impossible to fix. I suffered from it for years waking up at night in agony needing to take antacids to continue to sleep until they wore off and I needed more. Because I ingested so much baking soda I was worried about alkalizing my urine too much and getting kidney stones so I started high dose vitamin C. Oddly enough this helped the Gerd. Eventually I wanted to try carnivore for body composition but that firsf night of carnivore was the first night I slept without waking up from gerd. About the vitamin C turns out vitamin C is a cofactor for the enzym that breaks down histamine and what is another class of antacids: selective histamine-2 receptor antagonists

1 Like

Yes, I read, I’m aware of danger use of PPI? What should I do? The diet do not help. In the past 4 years I tried many different methods. In my mind

Very good find. Do you think sodium C would be better than ascorbic acid? Besides H2 blocker are much more safer than PPI. Cimetidine (H2 Blocker) has been shown to have anticancer effects. It has a beneficial side effect of boosting immune function by activating natural killer cells and reducing T-suppressor cells.6 This helps the immune system function more efficiently. Bill Faloon use Cimetidine 3 months every year.

I tried cimetidine but gives me depressive mood. The only hope is now Famotidine.

Carnivore diet helps but not because you cut the carbs, the starch is the cause of reflux. In Austria they did perform a test on life subjects - they measure on peoples differend kind of diet and the starch is one of causes of reflux.

Somethimes I asking myself that longevity is how you will manage chronic disease.

All my friends, five of them durring aging got some form of chronic disease. One friend got diabetis 1 (autoimmune disease), seconond one spiral problem (he use pain killers daily), third got schizophrenia, four get cancer spread all over his body, one got GERD,…etc. In the young age we where strong, healthy, full of energy. Look at us now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had GERD with daily pain for 10 years no matter how many poi’s I popped.
Completely cured it within a couple of weeks when I stopped consuming seed oils.

Starch is a type of carbohydrate.

The more resistant the starch the worse my reflux will be, eg I can usually eat a few overripe bananas but a green one will give me terrible reflux. Other bad offenders for me tomato (sauce), ginger, sometimes fermented foods (can be high in histamine), almonds, older ground meat close to the best before date…

So what’s your conclusion? Why did it happen? Age? Lifestyle? Diet?

I had to look up PPI

If GERD is a problem only at night consider melatonin.

i have nighttime GERD if I drink alcohol but its 100% solved with melatonin. (3mg)

My GERD was solved easily by taking 650mg Beatine HCI before every meal. Very cheap supplement, worth a try.

I took Dexilant for 2 years. Absolutely suppressed GERD from day one. After stopping taking it, I was relieved to find that it actually cured GERD. I no longer have GERD.

2 Likes

Are you overweight? For some people, losing weight and getting rid of any excess abdominal fat resolves symptoms.

Insufficient sleep can be another cause. Some people develop a habit of sleeping 6 hours a night and may need 8. Also, 60% of people with sleep apnea have GERD Source. Poor sleep and GERD are connected in some way.

Dietary triggers are common. Some people only notice heartburn or reflux after drinking coffee, eating Italian food, or spicy foods.

Have you had an upper endoscopy done to check for hiatal hernia? They are common.

There are surgical options. There is a minimally invasive procedure called transoral incisionless fundoplication. (Info below).
TIF Procedure

are there any recommendations in general for people with gastrointestinal problems (GERD, IGB, Crohn) and rapamycin? Is it safe to use? Anyone here who have such problems and still use rapamycin?

Again carnivore diet, especially in the light of this new study

https://www.cell.com/cell-host-microbe/fulltext/S1931-3128(23)00420-1

1 Like

That is a mechanistic study on fibre deficient diet

I have struggled with stomach and throat issues for years as a result of acid reflux. I have intestinal metaplasia in tbe stomach and scarring of my throat from reflux. An endoscopy showed that my esophageal sphincter and esophagus are normal. I have taken nexium twice a day as needed for years. I lose weight when taking this medication, but I have not noticed other side effects. Getting tested for h pylori is a must. Eradicate h pylori if you have it to avoid stomach or esophageal cancer. I have to abstain from all alcohol permanently. Alcohol in the evening causes reflux overnight, and alcohol in general is a cancer risk. Good old pepto bismol can be a wonderful treatment. I find it to work better than nexium, but taking it all the time can be toxic. Gaviscon advance in the evening is a big help, but is not sold in the usa. I get mine from the uk via amazon. Plain cooked carrots are the food that I eat when things get bad. Rapamycin does not bother my stomach, but Metformin has caused nasty heartburn. Good luck.

What GERD? Eat fresh cucumbers a lot (English type ones) and drink plenty of cold water. Problem solved, for me that is, but I must admit mine is nowhere near as bad as some in here are complaining about.

I have tried most of the popular diets over the years and have migrated to the carnivore diet. It fits my ancestry and my gut feels best on a carnivore diet.

3 Likes

A new medication called Voquezna was just approved in the US as an alternative to PPI’s for erosive GERD, and believed to be more efficacious. It will go on sale next month (Dec 2023). It had previously been in use in Japan under the name of Takecab. I know of one website that was shipping internationally.

There is also a minimally invasive outpatient procedure called transoral incisionless fundoplication where surgical instruments are passed through the mouth and esophagus. It is a reversible procedure.

https://investors.phathompharma.com/news-releases/news-release-details/phathom-pharmaceuticals-announces-fda-approval-voqueznar/

For me GERD was caused by vegetable oils and cured (after 11 years) by not using vegetable oils.
Very simple for me, just wish I’d worked it out sooner (or a doctor could have told me instead of constantly prescribing PPIs)!

1 Like