Generally recognized as safe (GRAS) assessment of a spermidine rich wheat germ extract

Surfing I came across the following;

“GENERALLY RECOGNIZED AS SAFE (GRAS) ASSESSMENT OF A SPERMIDINE
RICH WHEAT GERM EXTRACT”

https://www.fda.gov/media/138730/download

From the above document;

"In another study, the supplementation of up to 100 g Natto (spermidine-rich fermented
soy beans) to the daily diet of human volunteers (mimicking a high polyamine diet) for 2 months
showed no negative side effects (Soda et al., 2009b ). 100 g Natto contain about 15 mg
spermidine, which exceeds the recommended daily intake of spermidine rich wheat germ
extract"

1 Like

I tend to follow Mike Lustgarten on spermidine use - and he has in the past videos I’ve seen of his said that he targets 20mg of spermidine a day via diet. I use the spermidine-rich wheat germ extract which I purchased last year from Germany (purchased a few kgs via a friend), and I mix it with my coffee in the morning and also target 20mg of spermidine a day/morning (this is about 40grams of spermidine-rich WG powder that I mix with my coffee, which equals about 20 mg of spermidine).

The powdered version of the wheat germ extract that I have mixes well with coffee, and heat doesn’t harm the spermidine so I find it a very easy way to take the spermidine daily

Here is, I think, the spermidine focused video with Mike Lustgarten where I think he covers his use of spermidine:

Dr. Michael Lustgarten is a scientist at the Tufts University Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging in Boston, Massachusetts. His research currently focuses on the role of the gut microbiome and serum metabolome on muscle mass and function in older adults. Dr. Lustgarten is also known for his rigorous n-of-1 health optimization experiments and quantified-self practice, with the goal of maximizing his health and lifespan and also potentially contributing to building a correlated data model for optimizing lifespan interventions for others.

and

2 Likes

Just a follow-on note, There is a relatively new version of spermidine on the market now - it is a “synthetic” (i.e. manufactured) version of spermidine called spermidine trihydrochloride that is much, much cheaper than the natural version that has been the most popular version that has been available over the past two years.

Its similar to ascorbic acid vs. the rose hips natural Vitamin C, one is manufactured, one is extracted from a natural plant source.

I’ve spoken to a spermidine researcher and he said he saw no reason to think that the manufactured version would be any different in terms of efficacy / health benefits than the “natural version” from wheat germ, etc.

In the future, I’ll likely just buy this type of product:

5 Likes

Did you notice the comments in the Amazon listing claiming it to be a toxic substance per Fischer Scientific? I can’t imagine why making it a chloride salt would make it toxic (other than as an irritant if snorted or put in one’s eye).

Yes - thats just an inaccurate comment. Its just a salt version of spermidine and the salt portion of the molecule comes off when you consume it, as I understand it. Its really no different than consuming “natural” spermidine - thought you would get some other polyamides and vitamins in the natural product (e.g. wheat germ).

4 Likes

FWIW another link dedicated to spermidine information;

3 Likes