From Twitter: What is the single product that’s had the biggest impact on your health and wellness?

No, no mention of rapamycin here (not popular enough… yet), but interesting:

2 Likes

Going to take a guess, but of the 1718 replies, not a single one taking Rapamycin. Like how many people in the general population are messing with an immunosuppression DRUG??

1 Like

Most of these improve sleep, diet and exercise, or decrease dangerous habits. The rest are just playing at the edges, though I’d love to be proved wrong. Rapamycin though.

1 Like

No - I actually did see at least one rapamycin respondent… (because I follow both of them on Twitter).

Goes to show people really know nothing IMO
reminded of the interviews Nir Barzilai did of centenarians. They were also clueless about how they got to be 100. Half smoked most of their lives. Most had poor diets and didn’t exercise but they all believed that diet, exercise and not smoking were important.

4 Likes

It’s their hardware…genes. Centenarians have some enriched DNA repair and cardiovascular protective genes. The rest of us have to work very hard at the software, epigenetic.

1 Like

Its quite hard for a centenarian to have had a truly damaging diet. Most of the carcinogenic heavily processed foods did not even exist during most of the life of a centenarian and when it did they were already set in their ways so its unlikely theyre going to be eating lots of it.

A diet thats not abundant in certain nutrients may not always cause much damage as sometimes being replete has a stimulatory effect which conflicts with slower aging.

Actually the “modern bad diet” is one of the worst combinations for aging since its replete in oxidized oils protein and sugar and macronutrients eaten in excess, but also contains much carcinogens. I have zero doubt this type of diet is very rare among even 90+ yr olds not to mention 100+.

2 Likes

This is indeed true, but that still doesn’t explain the rarity of reaching centenarian even in those born 100 yrs ago.

1 Like

How does the proportion of centenarians vary in areas with adequate nutrition, healthcare and hygiene versus those areas without those things? I’d guess many fewer 100 year olds for the latter areas.

This is also true, these confounders peeling away potential escapers, and producing varying inter-regional incidence rates. But even so, when researchers look at regional cohorts, who share similar nutrition/healthcare/hygiene, the incidence of centenarian is still rare, and survives these confounders.

2 Likes