Fixing stiff collagens – damage to the extracellular matrix is the missing hallmark of aging

There are at least 3 forms of vitamin B6 depending on your definition.
I can’t find pyridoxamine on Amazon, but they sell Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate form which is quite a bit more expensive than the common form Pyridoxine.
What are you thoughts on comparing pyridoxamine to the Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate form?

1 Like

Sure I don’t mind if you invite him to discuss this. I should tell you though that we have already discussed this somewhat on some Facebook groups and he is probably as tired of trying of defend my points as I am of being the “bad guy” here when I point out the flaws behind the product and it’s marketing. I think he is a well meaning scientist but I don’t agree with his conclusions of his research (like him thinking glycation reduction results in weight loss) nor the marketing of GLYLO.

1 Like

Good question.

To start with lets get one thing clear. Vitamin B6 exists in three forms, pyridoxine, pyridoxal and pyridoxamine. Then there are three additional variations which are these three forms each with a phosphate group attached, namely pyridoxine-5-phosphate (PNP), pyrixoxal-5-phosphate (PLP) and pyridoxamine-5-phosphate (PMP). So six forms in total.

Pyridoxine, pyridoxal and pyridoxamine are all converted into PLP, but PLP is the coenzymatically active form of vitamin B6 in the body that performs the vitamin functions of vitamin B6.

Now PLP is sometimes sold as a supplement and claimed to be superior to the other forms on the basis that it’s the coenzymatically active form and therefore it the most useful form. People are told it makes sense to take PLP directly and that it’s better than taking other forms because the other forms need to be converted into PLP. This is supposed to justify the higher price of PLP supplements. This is wrong! PLP cannot be taken up by cells without first being dephoshorrylated into pyridoxal, so taking PLP ends up being a waste of money since eventually it has to be converted into the cheaper pyridoxal before being absorbed. Once inside cells the pyridoxal is then converted back to PLP to be used by the cells.

So there you have it. Don’t waste money on PLP. Just stick with pyridoxine if you can’t find a source of pyridoxamine.

5 Likes

This talk by Collin Ewald brings up the idea that degradation of the ECM is an independant hallmark if aging. And he think that chondroitin sulphate and Hyaluronic acid might be used to slow down the aging of the ECM.

4 Likes

Chebulic acid from Terminalia chebula extract: “exhibiting 50-fold stronger breaking activity than with ALT-711, a well-known cross-link breaker.”

3 Likes