Fighting Alzheimer’s with Increased Autophagy via Rapamycin + Trehalose

FWIW…started 06/13/2022 taking the Trehalose and D-Ribose.
Add to coffee 5mg each, with the spermmidin 10mg and 15ml of MCT

Today 06/14/2022
the coffee{18oz coffee/2oz light cream] added;
Trehalose 10mg
D-Ribose 5mg
Modified Citrus Pectin 5mg
Spermmidin 10mg
MCT 15ml

The Coffee is getting expen$$ive.

3 Likes

Conclusions

Our findings suggest that trehalose helps lower postprandial blood glucose in healthy humans with higher postprandial glucose levels within the normal range, and may therefore contribute to the prevention of pathologies that are predisposed to by postprandial hyperglycemia, even if the daily intake of trehalose is only 3.3 g, an amount that is easily incorporated into a meal.

3 Likes

It’s tempting.
I’m somewhat concerned about the increase in body fat, though not truncal, and slight increase in waist size.
Also, why the increase in two of the liver function tests? Is it reflective of some fatty liver deposits?

Another tactic for fighting Alzheimers and dementia risk:

Public health experts and researchers argue that it is past time to turn our attention to a different approach — focusing on eliminating a dozen or so already known risk factors, like untreated high blood pressure, hearing loss and smoking, rather than on an exorbitantly priced, whiz-bang new drug.

The latest modifiable risk factor was identified in a study of vision impairment in the United States that was published recently in JAMA Neurology. Using data from the Health and Retirement Study, the researchers estimated that about 62 percent of current dementia cases could have been prevented across risk factors and that 1.8 percent — about 100,000 cases — could have been prevented through healthy vision.

Though that’s a fairly small percentage, it represents a comparatively easy fix, said Dr. Joshua Ehrlich, an ophthalmologist and population health researcher at the University of Michigan and the study’s lead author.

That’s because eye exams, eyeglass prescriptions and cataract surgery are relatively inexpensive and accessible interventions. “Globally, 80 to 90 percent of vision impairment and blindness is avoidable through early detection and treatment, or has yet to be addressed,” Dr. Ehrlich said.

The influential Lancet Commission began leading the modifiable risk factor movement in 2017. A panel of doctors, epidemiologists and public health experts reviewed and analyzed hundreds of high-quality studies to identify nine risk factors accounting for much of the world’s dementia: high blood pressure, lower education levels, impaired hearing, smoking, obesity, depression, physical inactivity, diabetes and low levels of social contact.

In 2020, the commission added three more: excessive alcohol consumption, traumatic brain injuries and air pollution. The commission calculated that 40 percent of dementia cases worldwide could theoretically be prevented or delayed if those factors were eliminated.

Read the full report:

Dementia prevention, intervention, and care: 2020 report of the Lancet Commission

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140-6736(20)30367-6/fulltext

1 Like

Related Reading…

In other research…they found eating 3 baked potatoes was better than 3 slices of deep dish pizza at controlling postprandial hyperglycemia.

The control arm in this study was SUCROSE.

“Each consumed 3.3 g of trehalose (n = 25) or sucrose (n = 25) daily for 78 days.”

It is widely established that keeping blood glucose as low as possible is associated with reduced all cause mortality. Why consume EITHER of these?

3 Likes

From the original first post on this thread.

“Trehalose treatment significantly upregulated autophagy in the hippocampus and frontal cortex”…

FWIW

I have been taking 15g{trehalose] a day, intend to increase the dose over time

1 Like

Given what US food companies have done to the food we eat, 3.3 grams of sucrose is a dose thats probably hard for the consumer to avoid (and to easily exceed). I had some of my friend’s peanut butter the other day… looked at the ingredients and the #2 ingredient is sugar. Crazy stuff…

I’m traveling most of the summer, but when I settle down again my plan is 5/7 days SGLT2 inhibitor with Trehalose. Will report results, but I don’t expect any blood glucose spike at all.

1 Like

Not convinced. “A mouse model of AD”…pretty much useless for translation.

I eschew all things ‘ose.

There’s the rub. Why are we eating anything man made? US companies are not to blame, we are.

Agreed - mouse models (especially in AZ) seem to be worth little… however, irrespective of that, if Trehalose significantly bumps up autophagy, gets through the BBB, it seems like it might be a reasonable bet…

2 Likes

Big IF and no way I would trade for the peripheral carnage.

Mac, that is your view.

My view is I added to my other items, if it works ok.

From Blagosklonny paper{ Rapamycin for longevity: opinion article]

“If you wait until you are ready, it is almost certainly too late.” Seth Godin

I am NOT waiting.

3 Likes

Absolutely true - “Whole Foods” are default for me. But there are always time pressures, so many times (especially with young kids, school and activity schedules) faster is better… as much as I hate processed foods.

Human limitation…biology cares not.

Of course I sympathize, we don’t live in a monastery.

1 Like

Joseph - I think many of us would be grateful for your n=1 data having experimented with the Trehalose.

2 Likes

Have only be doing the Trehalose mix* for less than a month. I mix the following in coffee{usually coffee with extra caffeine]
24 oz cup/container approximately 20oz coffee/4oz light cream, add 10mg of spermmidin, 20g of trehalose{was 15g], 5g of D-Ribose, 5g of modified citrus pectin and 15ml of medium chain triglycerides. Mix well pouring from cup to cup. Some times I will also take some of my supplements with this.

Have not noticed anything yet.

I have never used any type of sweetener, so this to me taste very sweet.

2 Likes

A good thing to keep in mind:

The combined effect of physical activity and fruit and vegetable intake on decreasing cognitive decline in older Taiwanese adults.

The risk of cognitive decline decreased by 63% when high physical activity and high fruit and vegetable intake were combined

2 Likes

Related:

New trehalose paper

3 Likes