Fighting Alzheimer’s with Increased Autophagy via Rapamycin + Trehalose

For completeness, I’ll measure at -60 min, 0 min, 30 min, 120min, with a finger prick. I’ll start the whole process 2 hours after waking to have a stable start after any dawn effect on blood glucose. The measurements at -60 min and 0 min should verify stability. If my starting numbers are wonky, I’ll try again the next day.

2 Likes

Sounds good - I will follow the same protocol.

1 Like

I tested my blood sugar this morning after consuming 2 teaspoons of trehalose per the protocol discussed earlier:

• after measuring a fasting blood sugar in the normal range, remeasured 2 hours later to account for any “dawn effect”.
  • at 3 hours, I measured again to check if my blood glucose was stable for that prior hour
  • if stable, I consumed 2 tsp trehalose powder mixed in 6 ounces of water. The only prior food would have minimal effect: 0.5 ounces lemon juice for my tea and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil for my coffee.
  • measure blood glucose 30 minutes after trehalose and 120 minutes after trehalose

Note: I have type 1 diabetes, with minimal insulin production, so the large increases reflect the need for insulin that most people would quickly produce to lower the blood glucose to normal. I took no insulin during this, other than a small amount of basal insulin, which wouldn’t affect the result much.

Results:

• -180 minutes: fasting blood glucose of 92mg/dL
  • -60 min: 106 mg/dL
  • 0 min: 109 – stable, so I consumed 2 teaspoons (9 grams) trehalose powder in water
  • 30 min: 153 – significantly above the high end of the 30 point increase I expected
  • 120 min: 136 – included doing some light shopping

In the end, the rise of 27 mg/dL was within the range I expected, though unfortunately the high end. The rise to 153 may be attributed to eating the trehalose alone rather than in a mixed meal, which would have blunted the spike. Also, I never eat significant amounts of sugar, so my metabolic tolerance is low.

For me, that 27 point increase is the same as would come from the same mass of sucrose or starch, and can be covered by 1 unit of insulin. Your mileage may vary according to your metabolic status, including, but not limited to, insulin resistance and pancreas health.

4 Likes

OK, here are my Trehalose tests…

Results:

• -60 min: 99 mg/dL
    Then I had my Morning coffee with a splash of Almond milk
  • 0 min: 111 – I then consumed 1 tablespoon (approx. 10 grams) trehalose powder in a glass of water
  • 30 min: 135 mg/dL
  • 60 min: 122 mg/dL
  • 90 Min: 102 mg/dL

Next will do tests with empagliflozin, acarbose and metformin prior to taking the Trehalose

5 Likes

OK - after the earlier day test of just Trehalose in water, I tried adding a lot (approx. 150 grams of Trehalose) into my smoothie that I make 1 or 2 times a week.

I took 100 mg of Acarbose prior to drinking smoothie.

My smoothie typically includes fat free plain yoghurt, frozen mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries), frozen spinach, and then various powders, eg. 30 to 50 grams of KuliKuli Moringa Powder (NRF2 promoter), collagen powder (25 to 50gm), Inulin powder, etc… and Almond milk (unsweetened).

I drank this smoothie (about 20oz) at around 2:15pm. At 2:45pm today I checked my blood glucose (by finger prick - as is the case for all measures today) and my blood glucose level results were:

After 30 minutes: 116 mg/dL. Seems pretty good.
After 60 minutes: 131 mg/dL

5 Likes

Am I the only one that gets a lot of excess gas from all of the various óses except sucrose?

No gas for me - even with acarbose (if I avoid the wheat).

Thank you for doing this experiment with me.

Your 131 blood glucose at 60 minutes isn’t terrible after having so much sugar. You probably got back down to your normal range of 100 within another hour or two.

I plan to have small amounts multiple times per day in mixed meals, but I haven’t figured out how much yet.

2 Likes

I’ll probably start take acarbose with the trehalose, since the blood glucose spike is fairly severe for me. Another experiment will be in order when I acquire the acarbose.

1 Like

I’d urge caution with D-ribose. See below, and surf “Cited by” and “Similar”.

“D-ribose induces cellular protein glycation and impairs mouse spatial cognition”

3 Likes

Just to note… Trehalose is not that sweet, which is ideal for my purposes. As I mentioned, I added about 150 Grams of Trehalose to my smoothie, it mixed in fine, the smoothie was not too sweet, the consistency did not change… I wouldn’t have noticed it if I hadn’t know I put it in myself. I will try higher doses in the future - and with my CGM on, and by itself and without any medicines, and with different medicines, and will report back. But as it is so far, it seems pretty easy to incorporate high doses of Trehalose into your diet in the smoothie (blended drink) form.

2 Likes

I agree, as does Wikipedia:

Trehalose has about 45% the sweetness of sucrose at concentrations above 22%, but when the concentration is reduced, its sweetness decreases more quickly than that of sucrose, so that a 2.3% solution tastes 6.5 times less sweet as the equivalent sugar solution

1 Like

Wow, thanks for this! I’d just bought a bulk bag of d-ribose and started taking it a few days ago, but after reviewing a handful of those studies involving AGEs, it’s going straight into the trash.

2 Likes

Desertshores, I like the part about not having to argue with your doctor or the insurance company. I feel the same. If I want a test to simply satisfy my curiosity and I’m willing to pay for it I’ll skip the doctor/insurance argument I’ll likely get, and just do it on my own!

1 Like

Agreed. My old family doctor, when I started in the prevention journey, was ZERO supportive of any additional lab tests. After I fired him, switched to my functional medicine doctor (I pay his consult out of pocket), but in return I get a SUPER supportive doctor who will pretty much authorize any test I want, most all are covered, and the one’s that are not, happy to finance. And any meds are covered co-pay with work insurance.

2 Likes

Another approach to lowering dementia risk:

People with higher levels of omega-3 DHA in their blood were 49% less likely to develop dementia than those with lower levels. The subjects in the highest quintile of DHA had an estimated 4.7 additional years of life free of Alzheimer’s disease.

Research Paper here:

1 Like

Indeed, getting my DHA (Omega 3) very high percentile is a main target.

As usual, an “association” study, as there’s debate about whether DHA is crossing the BBB and impacting hippocampus and/or whether the benefits are all cardio. Either way, the benefits appear real.

2 Likes

The dose makes the poison of course, but I tossed mine as well, once I’d dug into the research more closely.

That was the way my former Dr. was about blood test.
“I am not going to approve a blood test you don’t need even if the
insurance company pay for it.”
Have a new Dr. and he is not quite so adamant and will with hesitation add work that I want. So gave up and just pay Life Extension when
when they have a blood test sale. You can buy a test and have up to 6 months to use it.

1 Like

More info on Trehalose:

In this study, we observed that trehalose was able to induce autophagy in neurons only in the short-term, whereas long-term treatment with trehalose provoked a relevant anti-amyloidogenic effect in neurons from an AD mouse model that was not mediated by autophagy. Trehalose treatment reduced secreted Aβ levels in a manner unrelated to its intracellular accumulation or its elimination through endocytosis or enzymatic degradation. Moreover, the levels of Aβ precursor protein (APP) and beta-secretase (BACE1) remained unaltered, as well as the proper acidic condition of the endo-lysosome system. Instead, our results support that the neuroprotective effect of trehalose was mediated by a reduced colocalization of APP and BACE1 in the cell, and, therefore, a lower amyloidogenic processing of APP. This observation illustrates that the determination of the mechanism, or mechanisms, that associate APP and BACE is a relevant therapeutic target to investigate.

5 Likes