Ergothioneine - An Anti-aging compound to watch

I eat a lot more shiitake and oyster mushrooms after I learned about this compound. Anyone else here tracking it and adjusting their diet to accommodate it?

Ergothioneine is a sulfur-containing amino acid that acts as an antioxidant and has a unique role in the protection of mitochondria from oxidation. It is only obtained from dietary sources with mushrooms being a top source. (2) Depending on the variety, one serving of mushrooms can contain 2.4 to 4.9mg of ergothioneine. Mushrooms that contain the highest amounts of ergothioneine include King oyster, maitake, oyster, and shiitake varieties. It can also be found in black beans, red beans and oat bran.
Source

Related reading and video:

4 Likes

Just for @Bicep
Life Extension magazine had an update on mushrooms too!

I guess it is time to add more mushrooms to my diet - I already like them!

Bicep - do you have a friend special on those tasty fungi?!?

I have been experimenting with allicin which is thought of as an HS donor available for creating mitochondria. (I think in the image this is misnamed as Alliin) I don’t know whether this has a separate effect from a sulphur containing amino acid as I don’t know that area of metabolism that much. At the moment I am getting some tingling that I wish to isolate out the cause of and it could be allicin, or it could be the form of B6 that I am taking (B6 has this odd self inhibition thing that means that taking too much causes the same problems as not having enough - however, I have been taking the active form for about 5 months). Hence I have dropped allicin temporarily.

1 Like

FWIW…

“Allicin is one of the main active compounds derived from garlic.”

From;

Allicin: Uses, Benefits, Side Effects, Dosage, Precautions

1 Like

I am trying this:

At the moment I have narrowed down my search for the tingle source to one of four supplements. I will probably revert to taking allicin once I have resolved this issue although as allicin can also cause tingling I will see if it is also causing tingling.

1 Like

A collection of published papers on ergothioneine see;

I buy oyster mushrooms (pleurotus ostreatus, not eryngii), and dehydrate them. Then I run the dried mushrooms through a coffee grinder. I take three grams in bone broth, or mix them into my food, if I am taking chili, or some stew type food (goulash, for example). I mix the three grams into my portion, not the cooking pot.

Am looking for the link; ostreatus has more ERG than eryngii. The highest ERG among oyster mushrooms is yellow oyster.

1 Like

I saw that and bought a bag of plugs for the golden oyster, used cottonwood logs. Mycelium grew, but no fruit. This is a tropical mushroom, so freezing kills and I’m screwed.

The wine cap is a mushroom that grows well here naturally, I buy a trailer of cottonwood chips, add the spawn and we get blooms all summer, then the next year too.

2 Likes

Pyridoxal 5 phosphate should not make your fingers tingle no matter how much you take.

Manufacturing cheaply makes vitamers with the other forms that cause the tingle. This is my understanding.

1 Like

I think you are right and having done a certain amount of trial and error my current hypothesis is NMN is the cause. However, the tingle is a fact. I was previously taking B6 and that did cause a tingle which is why I shifted to the active form. As it stands I have stopped the active B6 and stopped allicin.

Another video on ergothioneine

2 Likes

My mistake. Pleurotus eryngii (king oyster) has almost three times the ERG content of pleurotus ostreatus. Yellow oyster is still tops.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/ergothioneine

Mushroom fruiting body a (Ey et al., 2007; Bao et al., 2010)
Flammulina populicola 48.00
Flammulina velutipes 298.00
Grifola frondosa 30.00
Grifola frondosa (white) 8.00
Hypsizygus tessellates 6.00
Lentinula edodes 284.00 Shiitake
Pholiota nameko 2.00
Pleurotus cornucopiae 2082.00
Pleurotus eryngii 317.00
Boletus edulis 528.14 Porcini
Pleurotus ostreatus 118.91
Agaricus bisporus (brown) 0.93
Agaricus bisporus (white) 0.46
Cantharellus cibarius 0.06

1 Like

That’s what I always thought too. According to the table you have here the winner is something called branched oyster or popcorn oyster. Thanks Juan.

Bryan Johnson’s BP super veggie recipe has 50g of Shiitake or Maitake, so been doing that daily. Probably no coincidence this is on the ingredients list.

1 Like

Quite an appropriate name for something so abundant in ERG content.

2 Likes

and recent research information and research: Inexpensive and natural source of glutathione and ergothioneine - #4 by RapAdmin

2 Likes

Kind of depressing really. He says it counts on the microbiome too. So I could be swallowing it like crazy and still not have a great amount in my bloodstream.

Oh well, the spawn is here, the logs are ready and it’s raining today. I may wait another week because the ground is frozen most mornings and I don’t know how sensitive this stuff is. Also we’ve been really busy knifing anhydrous ammonia and starter so I have not had time anyway.

1 Like

Minute 4:01. To the left, the highest are Ergothioneine and beta carotene.

Highest food sources for beta carotene are below:

Food Beta-carotene content (in micrograms/mcg) per cup
Sweet potato (baked) 23,018 mcg
Carrots 10,605 mcg
Butternut squash (cooked) 9,369 mcg
Cantaloupe 3,575 mcg
Romaine lettuce 2,456 mcg
Red peppers 2,420 mcg
Spinach 1,688 mcg
Apricots 1,696 mcg
Broccoli (cooked) 1,449 mcg
Pea pods (cooked) 1,216 mcg
Mango (fresh) 1,056 mcg

Been tanking up on bell peppers. But might try the recipe below, this weekend, with glycine and xylitol.

1 Like

But Methionine reduces your HR, so it’s good for you. And Creatine and Trigonelline are on the right side, so they increase the HR. What gives here? Am I reading this wrong?