Inexpensive and natural source of glutathione and ergothioneine

If you read the table half way down through this article you see that yellow oyster mushrooms are not the very best source, but still good for both:

https://sci-hub.se/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.04.109

Then I heard they grow on cottonwood, which I cut down by the semi load anyway so I pounded plugs in some last spring. Toward fall I cut a couple open and the mycelium was growing great, but they did not fruit. Then I read that they are tropical and so I thought they would not survive the winter and I gave up and thought it was probably (as are many of my ideas) a waste of time.

This spring as I was too lazy to clean up the mess during busy spring planting season, they finally fruited and I did not notice till they were dried out. This week they fruited again after a rain. I think they may fruit for years based on what I’ve read:

I read to fry in coconut oil and add salt, pepper and paprika and it tastes like bacon. We did it and it kind of does, but really I gotta say it works much better to just fry them with bacon. Then they really taste like bacon. And so does the bacon.

5 Likes

Table says it comes second to Porcini for ergothioneine, and a close fourth in glutathione content (Maitake, Pioppini. pom pom, yellow oyster).

I sip broth before dinner [half cup Costco chicken broth, half cup water, 3 grams powdered gray oyster (pleurotus ostreatus), 25 grams nutritional yeast (for umami, and nucleic acids)].The oyster mushroom powder provides ergo, and spermidine.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225635120_Content_of_biogenic_amines_and_polyamines_in_some_species_of_European_wild-growing_edible_mushrooms

2 Likes

It’s work to grow in grow bags, all the sterile stuff and timing and effort. So that takes out the pom pom. I’ve done it and still do it, but it’s work.

Maitake grow wild here and I’ve found them in the timber after a rain. They come in big bunches and taste pretty good. They’re well named. Maitake means little dance because when you find them you’re so happy you do a little dance.

Oysters are the low hanging fruit. Cottonwood are common and big. I may do a batch of gray or blue next year just to see them. I can’t believe it worked.

1 Like

Ergothioneine promotes longevity and healthy aging in male mice

Healthy aging has emerged as a crucial issue with the increase in the geriatric population worldwide. Food-derived sulfur-containing amino acid ergothioneine (ERGO) is a potential dietary supplement, which exhibits various beneficial effects in experimental animals although the preventive effects of ERGO on aging and/or age-related impairments such as frailty and cognitive impairment are unclear. We investigated the effects of daily oral supplementation of ERGO dissolved in drinking water on lifespan, frailty, and cognitive impairment in male mice from 7 weeks of age to the end of their lives. Ingestion of 4 ~ 5 mg/kg/day of ERGO remarkably extended the lifespan of male mice. The longevity effect of ERGO was further supported by increase in life and non-frailty spans of Caenorhabditis elegans in the presence of ERGO. Compared with the control group, the ERGO group showed significantly lower age-related declines in weight, fat mass, and average and maximum movement velocities at 88 weeks of age. This was compatible with dramatical suppression by ERGO of the age-related increments in plasma biomarkers (BMs) such as the chemokine ligand 9, creatinine, symmetric dimethylarginine, urea, asymmetric dimethylarginine, quinolinic acid, and kynurenine. The oral intake of ERGO also rescued age-related impairments in learning and memory ability, which might be associated with suppression of the age-related decline in hippocampal neurogenesis and TDP43 protein aggregation and promotion of microglial shift to the M2 phenotype by ERGO ingestion. Ingestion of ERGO may promote longevity and healthy aging in male mice, possibly through multiple biological mechanisms.

Open Access Paper:

3 Likes