Travel to Easter Island--Rapa Nui?

Anyone here ever been to Easter Island? It’s on my bucket list, as a sort of pilgrimage I guess, although it sounds like a cool place to visit even if you’ve never heard of rapamycin.

Anyway, we are at the beginning stages of planning a trip for 2024-5, and wondering if anyone else has been and can offer advice. (Cruise yes/no? Tie in w/Chile? Tahiti? How many days? etc)

Or, for that matter, would anyone else be interested in joining?

Thanks!

5 Likes

I love the idea of going… but not this year. Hope you’ve read as much as you can on the history of rapamycin and the expedition that retrieved it from Rapa Nui. See here if you want to learn more: The Discovery of Rapamycin - The first paper that started it all (1975)

Let us know if you go. It would be a great trip!

1 Like

I’m jealous, I can’t go, but can you bring me back a bucket of soil so I can culture some rapamycin… just kidding :blush:

2 Likes

I listened to the dirty drug/ice cream tub podcast, thank you very much. It only makes me more intrigued. Now I just have to find the best way to get there.

2 Likes

Ha, and I’m sure customs wouldn’t mind…

1 Like

I was there a while ago, before ever hearing of Rapamycin. I took a plane from mainland Chile, it is a fairly long flight, stayed there 3 days, but I wish I stayed longer. I was there in August, which is “winter” season, but I was just magical. People are really laid back, island culture is really welcoming and island with or without rapanui statues is magical. I wish I have stayed few days more. It was on my bucket list since forever, since I can remember. Best way is to rent a car and take it easy exploring the island. It is a small island. A round trip takes less than a day taking time to explore. Statues are most magical at sunrise.

How funny. Incidentally I am born that year :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Be sure to check out Aku Aku by Thor Heyerdahl

3 Likes

Though I have no idea what Eastern Island cuisine is, back in the day of Thor Heyerdahl’s popularity.
The term Aku Aku was used with some Polynesian drinks and by some restaurants featuring Polynesian food.
The old Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas had a wonderful restaurant named Aku Aku with a big replica of
an Easter Island statue out in front of the restaurant.

7 Likes

Nice! Probably life extending, too!

1 Like

I love the prices! :rofl:

1 Like

I am trying to remember what was food like, I am sort of a foodie, but can’t say I remember any particular food from the island. All food is mostly flown to the island and quite expensive, maybe there was some fishing… but the whole Chile is really boring food culture. At least a decade ago…
Easter Island is mostly based on tourism, but at that time that meant some 10 maybe 20 guesthouses, a handful of restaurants and bars. I mostly remember how nice people were and how dramatic the island is. It is really remote in every sense of the word.

5 Likes

Definitely interested in a trip to Rapa Nui Island.

If logistics makes more the merrier (group rate better), I would be interested. Let me know.

Could bring soil back in my shoes… no customs issues. Will take a Shaq or clown size shoe for this smuggling operation.

5 Likes

Trust me. Those prices were considered relatively expensive at the time for Las Vegas.

2 Likes

We’ve only just started thinking about it, and totally open to suggestions. And you are welcome to bring soil back…between your toes!

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the words Easter Island and Cuisine in the same sentence until now.

4 Likes

It’s too on the nose that the most powerful longevity or geroprotector drug was found on a small island, with almost 1000 maoi statues. Found in the volcano on the island, of all places, from a soil sample by the water which was considered by the inhabitants to have healing properties. I think the script writers for reality should try to be more real.

3 Likes

… I know right!!!

1 Like

Kinda like “X” marks the spot for longevity. All these clues.

What else does one need to direct your attention here… ummm a neon sign maybe… Fountain of Youth… Dig here! Hahaha.

1 Like

Spent a week there in 2010. Santiago is the best jumping off place to fly there. We rented a scooter for the week. That’s all you need for transportation since the Island isn’t that big. We didn’t book a room. There really weren’t any traditional (Hyatt, Holiday Inn, etc) hotels there at the time. A couple of big resorts were looking to build. When you land on the the Island there is a spot as you are exiting the airport where all the locals advertise their BnB’s. Don’t remember the exact statistic, but there are only like five animals on the island (dogs, horses, chickens, something else, something else). Nothing natural, all brought over by other peoples.
DSC01044
Large packs of dogs and lots of horses. Plenty to explore on moped. One small beach, the rest are rocky shores. Island is shaped like a triangle with a volcano (extinct). The island couldn’t sustain the population that had come from other islands, so there isn’t any real culture. No written language history, so the archaeologists could only guess what life was like. Easter Island is the most remote island on the planet. Lot’s of cool stuff to see. Glad I went, but won’t be going back anytime soon. I can share a lot more pictures if you like. Enjoy

IMG_1341

DSC01017
IMG_1341
DSC01052

8 Likes

I’m surprised no one has found the secret compartments in the statues that contain the elixir of immortality. :wink:

2 Likes