Early Cryonics Horror Stories: Are There Any Advances?

This story is mainly about past failures, and only briefly described some advances. My question is whether there is good research that gives us hope that long-term cryonics can work?

Well, that was a depressing read, further solidifying my position that dying sucks and is to be avoided at all costs.

Thus, the least ridiculous idea remains to stay alive/extend lifespan and hope that advances in technology bring incremental gains that further extend lifespan to the next incremental gain, etc… until there is a breakthrough.

Realistic? Not really- particularly for those of us who are older. I figure to even be in the fight will require a pretty fair amount of capital to go along with a willingness to be a guinea pig continually.

The best hope lies in the pure narcissism of the multi-billionaire self-anointed masters of the universe in the Bay Area. They’re in the longevity space, but not all-in in the way they could be. Their wealth is so great that they could have a LOT of concurrently running Manhattan Projects attracting the brightest minds and, eventually, utilizing AI, quantum computing and whatever else.

Billionaire megalomaniacs who think they’re too important to die for the win!

1 Like

I personally don’t hold much hope for cryonics… reminds me of this interview with Richard Miller at the NIA ITP. Check out his response when asked about cryonics (and this from a guy who’s entire life and career is focused on increasing human lifespan):

2 Likes

I don’t hold out much hope for cryonics, but I saw this incremental progress in the news yesterday.

The pig did not regain consciousness, but there was brain, circulatory, and immune activity. A more advanced version of this technique might eventually be used as a way to transition from immediately after death to the long-term process, possibly a form of vitrification.

1 Like

700 page book on how mature molecular nanotechnology could revive cryonics patients: Cryostasis Revival - Alcor