Do You Use Low-Dose Doxycycline?

Do you use low-dose Doxycycline (20 to 40 mg) daily or intermittently? If so …

1. What is the purpose?
  2. What is the dose, type (Doxycycline Hyclate, Doxycycline Monohydrate, etc.) and schedule?
  3. Do you notice any beneficial effects?
  4. Do you notice any bad side effects?

Here are some background links:

Here is a summary from ChatGPT for what it is worth?

Uses of Low-Dose Doxycycline

1. Rosacea Treatment:
  • Anti-inflammatory Effects: At low doses, doxycycline can reduce inflammation and redness associated with rosacea without exerting significant antibacterial activity. It helps manage symptoms like papules, pustules, and erythema.
  • Approved Medications: Oracea (doxycycline 40 mg) is an FDA-approved low-dose doxycycline specifically formulated for the treatment of rosacea.
  1. Periodontal Disease:
  • Collagenase Inhibition: Low-dose doxycycline can inhibit collagenase, an enzyme that breaks down collagen in the gums, thereby helping to manage periodontal disease.
  • Adjunct Therapy: It is used as an adjunct to scaling and root planing in the treatment of chronic periodontitis to reduce pocket depth and improve attachment levels.
  1. Ocular Conditions:
  • Blepharitis and Meibomian Gland Dysfunction: Low-dose doxycycline is sometimes prescribed to manage chronic blepharitis and meibomian gland dysfunction, conditions that cause dry eye and eyelid inflammation.

Benefits of Low-Dose Doxycycline

• Reduced Side Effects: Lower doses minimize the risk of common side effects associated with higher doses of doxycycline, such as gastrointestinal upset, photosensitivity, and development of antibiotic resistance.
  • Anti-Inflammatory Action: It leverages doxycycline’s ability to modulate the immune system and inhibit matrix metalloproteinases, reducing inflammation and tissue destruction.

Considerations and Precautions

• Long-Term Use: While low-dose doxycycline is generally well-tolerated, long-term use should be monitored by a healthcare provider to avoid potential complications such as antibiotic resistance, even at sub-antimicrobial doses.
  • Contraindications: It should be used cautiously in individuals with known allergies to tetracyclines, during pregnancy, or in children under 8 years old due to the risk of tooth discoloration and effects on bone growth.
  • Interaction with Other Medications: Patients should be aware of possible interactions with other medications, such as anticoagulants and certain antacids or supplements containing calcium, magnesium, or iron, which can affect doxycycline absorption.

In summary, low-dose doxycycline is a versatile and effective treatment option for various inflammatory conditions, offering significant benefits with a lower risk of side effects compared to higher, antibiotic doses.

4 Likes

All good questions. Thanks for bringing it up.

I tried twice to get low dose Doxy from India and they always send 100’s to me. Maybe they think I won’t mind since it’s a really cheap price and they’re sub ing up.

So I’ve been taking 100 weekly for heart disease. It does some great things for that which you cannot feel, so it requires faith. I wish I could take 50/week instead, but it’s in capsules.

1 Like

You can easily dissolve doxy in water and take half of a capsule to get the lower dose. I get my doxy from Russia. Per instructions, it has to be dissolved in water before taking. So I split a 100 mg pill, then dissolve it in water.

I like this. So dissolve the 100 in a pint of water, then drink a cup and dump the other cup down the drain? Or will it last till next week?

Bicep,

Well, if it were me I would put it in the fridge and use it the next week. Or, possibly freeze it until the next week.

Bicep, I was considering using it once weekly with Rapamycin as a means of reducing Rapamycin rash. It seems to me I read that someone was having success with doing this even though I don’t see the logic with only once weekly dosing. However, if it worked for someone else it may be worth a try.

You mentioned heart disease. Do you mind telling me more?

It’s an MMP inhibitor:

file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/10.2174@157489011794578419%20(1).pdf

But also it’s not brilliant to take a low dose of an antibiotic over a long time. I don’t know what to think about it.

I’ve been taking low dose doxy 20mg am and pm for 20 years. I read that it preserves collagen in the skin. Seems to have worked, keeps rosacea in check as well. no gum disease. No side effects that I know of. Wish there was more info out there.

1 Like