DIY Rapamycin Toothpaste and Flossing Paste

I use my rapamycin toothpaste twice a day - morning and evening.

The evidence for rapamycin entering the bloodstream is negative - in the Transcutol-based skin cream they tested, and got no entry into the blood stream of the rapamycin.

4 Likes

More good reasons to put emphasis on oral health, and perhaps rapamycin toothpaste. Amazingly, poor oral health is linked to decline in muscle strength:

2 Likes

obviously it is impossible to to purchase Transcutol in Europe, has anybody been successful so far?

Have you tried all the different possible identifiers for transcutol in europe?

Transcutol has a number of different chemical names/identifiers. Here is a list:

• 2-(2-Ethoxyethoxy)ethanol: Ethoxydiglycol, 3,6-dioxa-1-octanol,
  • DEGEE, diethylene glycol monoethyl ether,
  • Carbitol,
  • Carbitol Cellosolve,
  • Transcutol,
  • Dioxitol,
  • Polysolv DE,
  • Dowanal DE

Chemical Identifier: CAS Number 111-90-0

I have searched for it but havenā€™t been able to find it. Iā€™ve experienced before that some other drugs/items are available OTC in the US, but require a prescription in (different parts of) Europe. If anyone had a different experience and was able to find transcutol in Europe, Iā€™d love to hear about it also.

thank you for your quick reply,
I could find Dowanal in the EU, but it is reported to be 1-Methoxy-2-propanol., what
obviously is somehing differentā€¦?

1 Like

Yes - that is a different compound, as you can see from the different CAS number (see below).

It seems that there must be someone selling transcutol (it seems like a pretty benign liquid) somewhere in the EU.

Looking at this:

It does not appear to be restricted in the UK.

2 Likes

Hmmā€¦
when you try to order, this appears:

"* This product is a chemical and requires you to have an SLS credit account.

• Please note that this is different to a website ordering account. Please contact us to arrange this for you."

Also UK unfortunately is no longer EU, so things anyway are difficult to order

Previous studies have demonstrated clear links between oral health and common diseases, such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and Alzheimerā€™s disease. However, there have been few longitudinal studies identifying which bacteria occur in infected oral- and maxillofacial regions.

ā€œOur results provide new insight into the diversity and prevalence of harmful microbes in oral infections,ā€ says Professor SƤllberg Chen. ā€œThe finding isnā€™t only of importance to dental medicine, it also helps us understand the role of dental infection in patients with underlying diseases. If a certain bacterium infects and causes damage in the mouth, itā€™s very likely that it can be harmful to tissues elsewhere in the body as the infection spreads.ā€

The research group has previously shown that the occurrence of oral bacteria in the pancreas reflects the severity of pancreatic tumors.

More information: Volkan OĢˆzenci et al, Clinical Microbial Identification of Severe Oral Infections by MALDI-TOF Mass Spectrometry in Stockholm County: An 11-Year (2010-2020) Epidemiological Investigation, Microbiology Spectrum (2022). DOI: 10.1128/spectrum.02487-22

1 Like

Newbie question, does chewing rapamycin taste awful? Or is this a good way to take them?

1 Like

You donā€™t want to chew rapamycin. All the rapamycin tablets you buy from pharma are specially constructed/coated to resist stomach acid, so that the tablet gets down to the intestine and disolves there, where the molecule is then taken up by your body. If you chew the tablet it destroys the coating and, I suspect, greatly reduce the bioavailability of the rapamycin.

2 Likes

Ok, but crushing up one tablet for use in a diy mouthwash is ok?

Well, you need more than one tablet for the toothpaste or mouthwashā€¦

And the goal with the toothpaste is penetration of the tissue and skin of the mouth (the tablet / rapamycin is not going through your stomach where it gets destroyed by stomach acid) - so yes, rapamycin tablets in your toothpaste or mouthwash is fine.

The goal of oral tablets of rapamycin is different; in this situation the goal is to get the rapamycin into your blood system (not just the cells and tissue of the mouth) so its important to maintain the protective barrier that is integrated into the tablets, so it doesnā€™t get destroyed in the stomach, and makes it into the intestine and ultimately into the blood.

4 Likes

Do you use the to toothpaste daily, weekly or what?
Really interested in this!

Twice a day, every day. Morning and Evening. Everytime I brush.

1 Like

In answer to the question does DMSO leave a bad odor in the mouth, I am using a DMSO solvent in mouthwash and in toothpaste and it leaves no off odor.

I believe that pharmaceutical grade DMSO is not a problem. Rather, the issue would be with industrial grade DMSO.

1 Like

Does anyone have anecdotal results to share on gum health from either systemic or topical rapa?
Iā€™m really keen to hear what people have been doing and any results achieved please.
Also RapAdmin, have you calculated (or measured) the likely daily systemic absorption dose from your mouthwash? Im nervous of doing anything daily but thinking of a fortnightly oral treatment to coincide with my main rapa dose.
Many thanks

1 Like

The entire reason for the approval of the rapamycin toothpast clinical trial by Jonathan Anā€™s group at U. Washington was because the initial trial of orally consumed/systemic rapamycin showed good results in terms of peridontal disease and oral health, see here: New Study: Rapamycin Rejuvenates Oral Health in Aging Mice

The rational for the toothpaste delivery approach is even better results potential by directly applying the rapamycin to the oral tissues, see: New Study Funded: Towards reversing periodontal disease using Rapamycin

There is no systemic aborption of rapamycin, or at least below measureable levels if you use Transcutol as the base for your toothpaste. In the clinical trials of topical rapamycin that Iā€™ve reviewed they generally used Transcutol to disolve the rapamycin in, and for its improved skin absorption enhancement benefits, but in the clinical trials they tested for systemic absorption and found more. You can read all the details in the research papers that are linked to in this thread: Rapamycin May Slow Skin Aging (Drexel U. Study)

Additionally, the amount of rapamycin in the toothpaste is a small amount - A reasonable dose is 10mg to 20mg per batch of toothpaste that lasts for many months (see first post in this thread for exact details).

Iā€™ve been taking the rapamycin toothpaste now for about 6 months - all is going well, no side effects noticed.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s very helpful thank you. Iā€™m in the UK so transcutol very hard to get. But Iā€™m trying the following dosing protocol:
I took my first oral dose today (1mg after GFJ) but also interdental brushed with another 1mg crushed rapa mixed with zendium toothpaste. Will dose 14daily, increasing the oral to 3mg.
If no improvement in gums after 3 months, Iā€™ll consider using DMSOā€¦