Distinguishing between driver and passenger mechanisms of aging

Distinguishing between driver and passenger mechanisms of aging

Nature genetics paper out today

Seems like it may be a highly relevant paper to us on this forum:

Understanding why we age is a long-standing question, and many mechanistic theories of aging have been proposed. Owing to limitations in studying the aging process, including a lack of adequate quantitative measurements, its mechanistic basis remains a subject of debate. Here, I explore theories of aging from the perspective of causal relationships. Many aging-related changes have been observed and touted as drivers of aging, including molecular changes in the genome, telomeres, mitochondria, epigenome and proteins and cellular changes affecting stem cells, the immune system and senescent cell buildup. Determining which changes are drivers and not passengers of aging remains a challenge, however, and I discuss how animal models and human genetic studies have been used empirically to infer causality.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41588-023-01627-0

3 Likes

I have asked the author for a pdf of the paper.

3 Likes

Here it is…
NatGen_inpress.pdf (1.7 MB)

2 Likes

Interesting read. Less directly applicable to us than I had hoped, but perhaps good to nudge the field a bit towards more mechanistic and causal understanding. Also a bit more pessimistic view on some of the progress than I think other leaders in the field would have.