Dietary Inflammation Tied to Muscle Aging

1 Like
1 Like

So, eat more grapes?

Grapes are just little bags of sugar …

1 Like

A spoonful of sugar helps the polyphenols go down.

If the research show that grape polyphenols reduce inflammation and sarcopenia, that’s all the reason I need to eat these delicious little bags of sugar.

Especially when you coat them in water and freeze them. Nothing better on a hot summer day…

3 Likes

Yeh, I don’t know about the whole issue of the tradeoffs of the nutritional benefits of grapes, vs. the downside of the blood glucose spikes caused by the grapes. If you’re on metformin, SGLT2 inhibitors (cangliflozin) or perhaps acarbose, maybe the issue goes away … Its very hard to parse all the data, given the imperfect world of nutritional research studies.

1 Like

There doesn’t seem to be a test for "fake"ness. They tested for the key variables that define the quality. Haven’t read the full article, but I didn’t see any “fake” judgements.

Amphoranueva.com has a great selection of olive oils, and they list the chemistry for each one. Here’s their EVOO with a biophenol content of 970 PPM: https://amphoranueva.com/marin/product/organic-tunisian-chetoui/

And here’s a paper with a counterpoint to high polyphenolic content olive oils:
Olive oil with high polyphenolic content induces both beneficial and harmful alterations on rat redox status depending on the tissue.pdf (2.4 MB)

2 Likes

There are 3 macronutrients, 2 of which are essential and the third literally rots the teeth out of your mouth…

Checked it out. It’s excellent if you are in CA. If not, the shipping cost is higher than EVOO. Is it possible to find something similar on Amazon?

1 Like

Relevant to this thread:

3 Likes

Amazon has Tunisian EVOO - Terra Delyssa and Kevala brands. It also carries Moroccan EVOO, favored by Dr. Gundry. He even markets his own brand.

2 Likes

An interesting study related to inflammation:

3 Likes

Just bought a 90-day supply of the Yanni’s EVOO on Amazon and will try doing a shot of it every day. Thanks for the tip!

3 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-01209-1

3 Likes

To be fair, caloric intake was also significantly lower on the higher glycemic plant based diet, so the lower caloric intake may have contributed to the differences in lipids and inflammation. This study appears mainly designed to test the theory that higher glycemic diets contribute to increased hunger and food intake (which was refuted since the higher glycemic subjects actually ate substantially less). Although it is also possible that the plant based meals were considered less palatable and that’s why the subjects ate less(?). I haven’t read the full text, so maybe some of these issues were addressed. Would be great to repeat the study but make it isocaloric and retest the same lipid/inflammation parameters, but I imagine this has been done before.

1 Like

Amen to that. The fact is we don’t eat many of the most “healthy” foods because they taste like crap to most of us.

2 Likes
1 Like