Coffee linked to Longevity

5 Likes

Don’t most coffee makers boil water that touches plastic? Maybe this doesn’t abrogate the longevity “benefits” on average, but I’m concerned about the effects of continually increasing microplastic exposure for those pushing the very high/extreme ends of longevity (most of us won’t die from the “standard killers” of ppl in their 80s)

3 Likes
1 Like

There is a probably no substance on earth that people have tried to “prove” was bad for you more than coffee. Since the 1700s with King Gustav in Sweden, people have been certain that somehow coffee was a deal with the devil and attempted to do experiments once and for all to find the negative effects. Instead, over and over, it has been shown that coffee actually improves health in multiple ways.

Which makes me very happy, because I love coffee.

7 Likes

“Which makes me very happy, because I love coffee.”
Ditto. I am thoroughly convinced black coffee extends health spans and probably lifespans.

6 Likes

I recommend this for water purification. Filters last 10 years and are good enough to filter red food coloring dye out of the water. In fact that’s the first test they recommend you do with your Birky to make sure it’s functioning correctly. We put this on our back porch but it works great on the counter by the sink too. https://www.berkeyfilters.com/products/big-berkey

Can’t cite it, but several years ago I read a study saying coffee made with paper filters leads to the best health. French press and espresso were associated with some health risks, as I recall.

2 Likes

What’s the healthiest way to brew coffee? - Harvard Health.
Researchers found that coffee drinkers typically enjoyed longer lives than nondrinkers, but only if the java was filtered – suggesting espresso lovers might be out of luck.
"Filtered coffee linked to better heart health

"Sorry espresso lovers: Filtered coffee linked to better heart health - UPI.com

4 Likes

If you want an extra healthy longevity coffee, you can do the following:

1. Replace the sugar with glycine. Glycine is sweet and unlike sugar will help you live longer.

2. Replace the cream with hydrolyzed collagen peptides. Tastes like cream but is great for your skin and healthspan. Maybe even longevity as well.

Your coffee will taste different yet similar. Except now it will be a lot healthier!

6 Likes

Nice… coffee as a suggestion for use.

I just bought some hydrolyzed protein - collagen Peptides on Amazon.

When the label said use in coffee… I thought really? No way!

Thanks for confirming it works. I will try it in the morning. Let you know what I think of the taste.

5 Likes

FWIW
This is is the same brand {Forest Leaf] of collagen peptides I have been using for the past 3 months.

2 Likes

I take collagen peptides in tea, but because of the taste I add a Lapsang Souchong teabag. I would think Coffee may be a strong enough taste to overcome the peptides itself.

2 Likes

Exactly. Collagen peptides go well with coffee as the coffee taste overpowers the collagen taste.

2 Likes

Joseph wrote: This is is the same brand {Forest Leaf] of collagen peptides I have been using for the past 3 months

My buddy for the past decade+… told me to get the Forest Leaf brand… he uses it. We discuss rapamycin and all kinds of age prevention and health ideas. He does regular fasting… eats very healthy.

Has me looking at checking my GK+ blood glucose and ketones. Will do with him this week and report back.

Hard to believe he will be 39 years in a few months. Looks 20 something.

4 Likes

Have to say the coffee was amazing.

Cut two Glycine capsules and put in cup.

Added a big spoonful of Collagen.

Mixed great.

Added a bit of honey and coffee creamer.

Had with Dutch coffee cake from Pella, Iowa… yum!

Looks like my new bio coffee hack. Thanks!!

2 Likes

Mike, sorry to ask: but if you don’t use a coffee filter, how do you remove (potentially harmful) terpenes?

1 Like

There is some research suggesting diterpenes in coffee can raise LDL cholesterol levels - and filters can remove most of these diterpenes. Admittedly I’m not sure how reliable this research is, but it has been reason for me to use filters. But I’m sure you are right that there may be issues with these filters also :grimacing:

Looks like a winner of a coffee! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder about the paper coffee filter. I have been using metal for convenience but I will go back to paper.

2 Likes

I think the main benefit of coffee is the chlorogenic acid content. So espresso has very little and filter coffee has a lot, but the reason is the amount of roasting not the filter paper. Even dark roasted filter coffee has less than light roast. The other issue is what you add to your coffee - milk protein traps the chlorogenic acid and negates the benefit. I don’t know what other additives might do.