Canagliflozin - Another Top Anti-aging Drug

The old tricks are the best tricks. Cranberry juice has been my go UTI solution for 40 years.

2 Likes

Dapagliflozin ameliorates diabetes-induced spermatogenic dysfunction by modulating the adenosine metabolism along the gut microbiota-testis axis 2024

We found that dapagliflozin treatment significantly alleviated the diabetes-induced spermatogenic dysfunction by improving sperm quality, including the sperm concentration and sperm motility. […] Our findings support the potential use of dapagliflozin to prevent the diabetes-induced impaired sperm quality and to treat diabetic male infertility.

4 Likes

Extremely helpful. Thanks a bunch.

1 Like

I keep reading mixed things about the generic availability of Invokana. One day, it seems like its just right around the corner, the next day I read that it might not be until 2027.

Here is the basis of the trial:
Some of the SGLT2i meds seem to have a decent half life or activity on the SGLT2 receptor.
If taking for longevity, a person might not need to take it every day
We obtained tablets from all 5 approved SGLT2i meds. Only canagliflozin was amenable to breaking in half. The other tabs were oddly shaped (likely on purpose if I were a cynic) and could not be easily broken.

We have preliminary data that taking half tab of 300mg canaglizflozin (150mg) every other day seems to provide a decent amount of glucosuria every day (not just the day taken).

Our next step is to scale this up to include a few dozen participants and use CGM sensors and urinalyses to validate if 150mg every other day will show adequate results.
Since the 100 and 300mg tabs are the same cost for Invokana, taking 1/2 tab QOD effectively drops the price by 1/4. Still expensive, but might be reasonable for some enthusiasts.

I think we will enroll from our internal patient base. but you care reach out to research at agelessrx dot com to express interest in our trial

8 Likes

I’ve never noticed an affect on CGM data when on an SGLT2 (tried Cana and Emp). Have others seen this?

I’ve found it very effective at flattening post prandial (meal) blood glucose curves. See my posts here: Canagliflozin for Anti-aging (part 2)

I hear you, but I bought a pill cutter/divider on amazon a while back, and I have yet to find a pill that will not be cut in 1/2 almost 100% of the time. And, when i want 1/4th of a pill, I cut the half again and that gives me the correct dose. Cutting pills in more than four parts it’s probably harder (or never tried it)

3 Likes

SNK, Can you provide a link to this pill cutter?

I bought this one, but there is many options.

Amazon.com: Ezy Dose Pill Cutter and Splitter with Dispenser, Cuts Pills, Vitamins, Tablets, Stainless Steel Blade, Travel Sized, Colors May Vary : Health & Household

1 Like

Diabetes, antidiabetic medications and risk of dementia: A systematic umbrella review and meta-analysis 2023

Metformin, thiazolidinediones, pioglitazone, GLP1RAs and SGLT2is were associated with significant reduction in risk of dementia. When studies examining metformin were divided by country, the only significant effect was for the United States. Moreover, the effect of metformin was significant in Western but not Eastern populations. No significant effect was observed for dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors, α-glucosidase inhibitors, or insulin, while meglitinides and sulphonylureas were associated with increased risk.
Metformin, which remains the first-line medication for the management of type 2 diabetes, did show benefits for dementia risk in our meta-analysis, yet newer treatments may confer greater risk reduction for dementia; this finding is of importance, given the extensive use of GLP1RAs and SGLT2is in clinical practice at present.
The meta-analyses showed an overall protective effect of:
metformin [RR 0.83 (0.71-0.96)],
thiazolidinediones [RR 0.770 (0.593-0.999)],
pioglitazone [RR 0.74 (0.55-0.98)],
GLP1RAs [RR 0.35 (0.16-0.78)] and
SGLT2is [RR 0.39 (0.20-0.76)] on risk of dementia.
DPP-4is, α-glucosidase inhibitors and insulin had a neutral effect on risk of dementia, while meglitinides and sulphonylureas were associated with increased risk.

Yet another study that found that for dementia prevention, acarbose is useless (“neutral”), while GLP1RAs and SGLT2is seem magical. Metformin is “meh”, especially useless for Asians.

4 Likes

You’ve convinced me. The next Med I’ll add is empagliflozin or canagliflozin.

1 Like

Your are really driving my interest in SLG2i. :sweat_smile:
Have you found anything negative? Because I know a lot of doctors and they seem not as convinced as you… but I have a box of Jardiance (Empaglifozin) sitting in my cupboard for a while now. Maybe I should give it a try.
My main concern or maybe is just my obsessiveness is trying to figure out how many calories are you loosing via glucose excretion. I am currently doing CR(ON) of 10% and this keeps my weigh stable and adding Empaglifozin would effect this balance?
I also was wondering if I could take it intermittently (EOD) and if I could do it half of 25mg pill.

1 Like

Haha, actually, I’m not trying to convince anyone other than myself… For context, I’ve had issues with my glucose levels, especially reactive hypoglycemia. Acarbose improved the situation, but not enough. I suggested a GLP1RA to the doctor (based on this paper + their overall positive effects) to which he answered: “GLP1 will increase your insulin, you have reactive hypo, you don’t want more insulin” and prescribed an SGLT2i. Before starting it, I did my research and the more I looked, the more impressed I was. So I started dapagliflozin (5 mg, then 10 mg per day). I’ve been taking it for exactly 1 month now, and, I don’t want to jinx it, but I feel way better…

Here are all the “negative” things I’ve found:

5 Likes

One difference — that I don’t know how meaningful — is that Cana is also SGLT1i not only SGLT2i, while the other main ones are just SGLT2i I believe.

(And we don’t know how much the SGLT1i was behind the ITP results)

Not sure how much to weigh that, but it is nudging me towards Cana until more data on that comes out.

@adssx do you have a sense for what direction it takes for mTORC2? See this decedent discussion:

2 Likes

I have the opposite reasoning :sweat_smile: Because empagliflozin and dapagliflozin are highly selective for SGLT2, I feel like they’re safer (and they seem to be, based on trials and longitudinal data). But there’s really not enough evidence around this.

I know nothing about mTORC2, but this 2023 paper concludes: mTORC1 and SGLT2 Inhibitors-A Therapeutic Perspective for Diabetic Cardiomyopathy - PubMed

Further studies are warranted to establish the underlying cardioprotective mechanisms of SGLT2is under diabetic conditions, with selective inhibition of cardiac mTORC1 but the concomitant activation of mTORC2 (mTOR complex 2) signaling.

2 Likes

I haven’t payed much attention to these drugs yet but I will soon since they look so promising.

But do you mean because that the mechanism of action is more clean? (It’s less of a dirty drug). And as you say based on trials and longitudinal data as well.

Canagliflozin binds to SGLT2 and a bit SGLT1. Sotagliflozin binds to both well. All others (including dapa and empa) bind to SGLT2 only. I think I posted a few papers previously showing that empa and/or dapa had better positive effects and fewer adverse events than cana. But nothing super convincing yet.

2 Likes

Canagliflozin would have to be shown to be much better than the others for me to take it again. I put up with an uncomfortable lower digestive system with canagliflozin for months before I stopped taking it.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong but you switched to empa and did not experience such issues, right? or maybe was at @admin who said that?
Reason for my chime in, I’m about to place my first order of empa.

2 Likes

I switched to Empa because I had some sort of “exhaustion” side effect with Cana. its a pretty rare side effect, from my research, so I moved to Empa. Empa has been fine with no obvious side effects. But for anyone else, this likely is not a reason for Empa over Cana.

4 Likes