Can you share your Longevity / HealthSpan Regime?

Let me clarify. I think it is a good idea. What I am saying, and I could be wrong, is that a majority of members, think taking an animal based protein supplement is a bad idea and they would never recommend it.

2 Likes

Oh got it! Thank you so much.

I have a spoonful of collagen in my first cup of tea of the day. Hence there clearly are people who make sure they have the right amino acids to create collagen.

1 Like

Glycine: I prefer to take it at night bc it aids sleep.

Resveratrol: yesterday watched a video on YouTube that explained that 1g could be too much and even promote cancer. Recommendation was to take it intermittently, not more than 500 mg, a few times per month.

GlyNac: are you losing weight on it (muscles and fat)? Especially in combo with Rapa.

1 Like

This is a great podcast on protein. But if you go to the 53:00 mark, they will start talking about MTOR. Leucine (one of the three key amino acids in protein) and glucose both activate MTOR. The former activates MTOR in muscle and glucose everywhere else. You want to activate muscle-centric MTOR.

1 Like

In the end timing is key. If you run Rapamycin to inhibit mTor at one point and aim to fast at the key points then you can start up collagen etc a few days later.

Leucine and methionine. There are studies showing that severe methionine and leucine restriction results in lifespan extension in rodents. However it is unlikely anyone would be able to eat a diet so low in methionine/leucine. I believe the leucine content of the diet of these rodents was practically zero. But the lifespan increase was comparable to that seen in CR.

2 Likes

Yes, long-term calorie restriction does really well in most of the longevity studies. There are some scary things in that podcast, however. Our bodies need about 300 g of protein every day. So most of that is from recycling. If you give a 16 year old protein you’ll get a great response. If you give a 60 year old the same amount you will get 10% or no response. So we need much more protein when we are old.

“As we get older, we can buffer that loss of the hormones by higher quality protein, mostly leucine and **resistance exercise.”

Then they discuss a theory from someone named Doug Jones basically that sarcopenic aging isn’t a gradual decline. Instead it’s a series of acute effects that you injure yourself (you’re in bed; you have a surgery, whatever), you acutely lose lean mass, and you can never gain it back. [from show notes]

So it seems like at some point you reach a tipping point where frailty is impossible to reverse. I am confident I can gain muscle at age 63 but maybe I shouldn’t wait forever :grinning:

2 Likes

I am familiar with the podcast and agree it is a great podcast. The problem is how do you reconcile the essentially opposite advice coming from different experts. These experts would have a typical 150 to 170 pound man ideally eating approximately 150 grams of protein per a day with a substantial portion coming from animal sources as they feel plant proteins have their problems and are inferior. The opposing camp, as typified by Valter Longo would have this same typical man eating approximately 1/3rd as much, 50 grams of protein per a day with a very close to none of it coming from animal sources. Both groups claim their approach is the way to optimal health span and lifespan.
I personally am right in the middle at this time with an approximate daily intake of 100 grams. This is pretty close to another expert, Mike Lustgarten’s thinking.

1 Like

His bias is definitely in favor of animals, but he says that if you get enough protein it doesn’t matter where it comes from — plant or animal. I think a plant-based diet is generally healthier but I am starting to supplement with protein. He also makes the point that you shouldn’t think of protein is the percentage of your diet. If you need 150 g of protein, then that should be a constant even if you are an 80 year old woman and that means protein is 30% of your calories.

100 g seems like a nice compromise. I think that’s higher than the minimum daily requirement which is likely too low.

1 Like

Thank you for the update on Resveratrol! Could you link the video?

I take 1 g 3 times a week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I may cut that in half.

As for protein, I eat a normal diet and should get enough protein.

As for weight loss, I am sad that I have not lost any weight. I seem to be stuck at a ‘set point’ from which I have been at for the past several years. I do want to lose about 17 lbs though to get back to where I was about 12 years ago.

The other two I was thinking of getting rid of are Fisetin and Quercetin. Any thoughts from anyone?

1 Like

As for protein, my father is 75 years old and was not getting enough protein therefore his muscles were sore and aching. The doctor put him on a plant based protein supplement and the muscle pains went away. Sometimes you need to listen to your body. He actively goes to the gym, so his body probably needed more protein to build up his muscle mass.

1 Like

I’m taking Fisetin once a month, and Phytosome Quercetin 2 per week. Why do you want to get rid of them?

I don’t think lumen is worth the money but it definitely showed me I was never burning fat. Even when I wasn’t eating carbs. That and high glucose pushed me to the five day water fasts. And suddenly my body was burning fat and the weight just fell off. Now I’m back to like it was for the first 35-40 years of my life. Always struggling to gain weight with little success.

1 Like

Do you happen to know the name of that plant based protein supplement?

Regarding Fisetin and Quercetin, I am unsure of their benefits. I am waiting for the results from the Mayo Clinic trial but until then, I remain unsure.

Also, one of the key features of Rapamycin is the prevention of senescence. Same with some of the other supplements I take. If my inflammation is low, I am not sure if Fisetin and Quercetin are worth taking in my late 40s. That’s why I would like opinions. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will have to check on the protein name from my dad. It is pea based.

1 Like

I don’t care what anyone else eats. That is your choice.
But, I am baffled as to why people think plant based diets are more healthy than meat.
Plants have developed toxins to protect themselves.

Some doctors think a carnivore diet is superior to a plant-based diet, others do not, etc.

My personal opinion and experience tell me I need more protein and less carbs as I have gotten older. I am one of the few people my age (81)at the gym that does not exhibit any obvious sarcopenia. This is because I have been constantly dropping carbs and increasing protein intake. Some “experts” have suggested I need at least 1.6 grams/kilo just to maintain and more if I want to build muscle. I weigh ~173 lbs or ~79 kilos so I need 126+ grams of protein every
day. That is hard to get on a plant-based diet. Those who say you can’t add muscle mass at age 81+ are full of it.

As I said, personally, I don’t care what you eat. Just don’t make the assumption that your vegan or plant-based diet is better than someone else’s.

These are photos taken when I had just turned 81 yrs old, the first before I started taking rapamycin and the second after a few weeks of rapamycin. I hope to post another one at age 82 if I live that long. I am not a gym rat or “muscle builder”, just a guy that goes to the gym regularly. My point is: Exercise trumps diet.

I am not telling you to change your diet, but just pointing out that there is opposition in all things.

Your Vegetables Want To Kill You. The surprising truth about plant toxins | by Keenan Eriksson | The Carnivore Curation | Medium

8 Likes

Arguing about diet is worse than arguing about vaccines. It’s a religion.

4 Likes