Can you share your Longevity / HealthSpan Regime?

There’s enough smoke surrounding spermidine that there might be some fire . I’m now taking wheat germ twice a day.

4 Likes

What would be the ideal way to start a supplement stack for someone who does not take any of the popular longevity supplements? Asking for a friend (seriously lol)

Just curious, I have layered mine in as new information becomes available.

I take 15/ day by layering them in breakfast, lunch and dinner. If I need to take 2 of one supplement. I’ll take one in the am and one at lunch time or dinner.

My reasoning is that I’m trying to not overload my system by taking them all at once. Logic tells me I get better absorption using this method.

When I take rapamycin (currently at 5mg every other Saturday) I skip all supplements that day except niacin.

3 weeks ago I added 2000mg of Plain Niacin to replace statin. I take 1000 at breakfast and 1000 at lunch. I experienced the flush the first 2 days, but now it happens maybe once per week. Unsure why the flush is sporadic?

This forum is amazing. Thanks to all for sharing

4 Likes

I take about 20 supplements per day and spread them out. I also skip most of them on rapamycin days and don’t take any of them more than 4x’s per week except for my sleep stack.

4 Likes

@Patrick

So many options and points of views. If you have the money to buy many options, this can make it more confusing. I have been up to 20 supplements at a time and then as low zero. An approach that works for me is the following.

What metrics am I measuring to value if the supplement is working or not?

Subjective - I just feel better or notice a desired goal - example - I noticed after taking melatonin improved sleep or I don’t.
Objective - I have elevated triglycerides and after taking fish oil, my levels have improved enough to support its use or not.
Reliable and reproducible data that support the use of a supplement / modality that I feel is worth the risk, but has no subjective / objective data that I can follow to support is use. - This is the one that seems to consume our high volume stacks and the first one I consider dropping. A 30 y/o that feels no quality of life improvement and or measurable data (subjective and objective), but feels that taking low dose Rapa is worth it may be a weak attempt at what I am getting at.

Overall, I try to limit my supplements to ones that I can measure a subjective and or objective metric. Anything beyond that rarely has staying power for me and usually gets kicked to the curb when I tire of it. Getting as much as I can through diet seems to work for me.

I take consistently:

Vit D3/K2
Sulforaphane ( frozen brochylli spouts in my shakes)
Fish Oil
Melatonin

2 Likes

My Husband is an options trader too but we live in the USA, he has had to refrain from trading futures because he was getting tingling down his left arm caused by stress. He is fine now he doesn’t trade futures

1 Like

:flushed: Twenty?!

You guys :roll_eyes:

1 Like

What’s your take on this study of prostate cancer and free testosterone?

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.34116

1 Like

Due to my complete lack of medical training, it is sometimes confusing to me what a medical paper is actually saying.

“In blood-based analyses there was no association with aggressive disease overall, but there was heterogeneity by age at blood collection (OR for men aged <60 years 1.14, CI = 1.02-1.28; Phet = .0003: inverse association for older ages”

Is this paper suggesting that higher free testosterone in older men results in a slightly less chance of aggressive prostate cancer?

1 Like

I am not sure if this adds much to what we already understand and does not help support or disprove what TRT has on causation.

I think most believe, that if known prostate cancer is present, then taking testosterone replacement can cause the cancer to accelerate, but this does mean it is the cause of prostate cancer.

The concept of just because something is associated with one outcome, it does not mean it is the cause of that outcome. Association does not equal Causation. From the many courses I have been to that debates this, many believe that the disease state of cancer can increase some of the inflammatory states that show higher hormone levels - estrogens, testosterones and even IGF-1. So many feel that anything that increases these levels then cause the disease process vs. are associated with it.

I do believe biases contribute to both points of view that make it even harder to sift through. Clear as mud, right?

2 Likes

It’s definitely not for everyone. Options trading can be extremely stressful! I am glad your husband is doing better now!!!

2 Likes

My Husband wears an Apollo when trading , in Relax Mode , we both have one , mine helps me sleep through the night.

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion. I had not heard of that device until now. What do you think about it? Does it make a big difference in stress levels? My wife has a hard time sleeping as she wakes easily. This might be a good present for her. I am also looking for any ways to reduce stress as well.

1 Like

Thanks.
I’ve read so many pros and cons on this association that it makes your head spin.
I agree that association studies are pretty weak but I thought that Mendelian Randomization was supposed to be fairly strong.
Really not sure what to make of it.

The statistical details can be confusing, but they do conclude that free testosterone is associated with both prostate cancer occurrence and also with aggressive disease, but as David says, association isn’t causation.

Hi, the Apollo has helped me Tremendously , first, I sleep through the night, before, I would wake 3 or 4 times, second, I am a nervous passenger in a car, I put my Apollo on my ankle and set it at relax. I don’t even notice the journey anymore , my husband uses it on relax when trading options or futures . I put my Apollo on relax 30 minutes before bed then it switches automatically at the time I set to Sleep, I think it is an amazing technology for us
Good luck

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the nasa article!
I’m going to add a few bamboo palms inside our home.

We had a fire next door a few months ago and had some smoke damage in our house. I had our AC guy install a Helo LED Oxidator in our air handler. According to the manuf website the device emits low levels of hydrogen peroxide in the air.

I’ve talked to several AC companies about this product and they all say it is amazing for indoor air quality.

4 Likes

@rivasp12 I think if you have a borderline PSA and an elevated free testosterone in a non TRT patient, then this paper shows an increased risk. I would add that the inverse testosterone total and SHBG could be due to insulin resistance which should be risk factors for prostate cancer as well.

Thanks for sharing the paper!

2 Likes

And there’s the problem with any association study, they can’t possibly control for all variables including insulin resistance and inflammation.

With prostate cancer in particular, we’re mainly worried about aggressive disease , or the increased propensity to metastasize.

A Hopkins study several years ago showed that 2 conditions must be met before cancer cells attempt to metastasize.

1. The cancer cells must sense an overcrowded situation which would easily occur with rapid proliferation of cells. The cells want to spread out to other tissues.
  2. The inflammatory cytokines IL 6 and 8 must also be present. This is the danger with chronic inflammation since it increases the risk of the presence of those cytokines.

So the point here is that while there are a multitude of things that stimulate cell proliferation, baseline inflammation is necessary for the all important metastasis to occur.

5 Likes

Main benefit is that I don’t have negative changes to my health. All my blood markers are good and stay the same for years. Don’t have any negative side effects. Good muscle strength, physical activity same as 15 years ago. Did not develop diabetes. Don’t take Metformin. Glucose is normal. High LDL (same as pre-Rapa years and it runs in the family). BMI 19.24. Skin (appearance and tone) is the same for years. Exercise 40 min daily (treadmill, swim, resistance).

4 Likes

Yes my LDL-C runs 141 to 165… but Coronary Calcium Scan says no Calcium…zero. Heart of younger than 35.

Rapamycin probably kicked me up 20 points…my already genetically high LDL-C . But no biggie. High LDL-C with no calcium can aid removal of bacteria and prevent chronic diseases…according to recent studies. So best of both worlds.

1 Like