Can you share your Longevity / HealthSpan Regime?

A good summary of possible longevity interventions (supplements and drugs) and some of the research behind each of them:

11 Likes

Very informative summary. Also interesting is the review of IP6 + inositol at the very end of the page.
Not only is it cytotoxic to cancer cells but it also lowers A1C levels and at 4 grams of inositol thereā€™s a very sig drop in cholesterol and triglycerides.
Some life extension as well.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure set point theory really makes sense to me - or at least there is much more going on. Personally, Iā€™ve fluctuated between ~145-205 lbs give or take (several years), depending on adaptation and food intake if I really pushed my stomach as I did in earlier years. Just never went above 14% body fat, as I suspect there is some cutoff range.

The classic example is the Standard American Diet - it appears to be obesogenic enough to disrupt this theorized homeostatic process. Our genes barely changed over 200 years.

1 Like

I concur, you can radically manipulate weight with dietary interventions. I radically changed to a new ā€œchosen setpointā€, and have held it for 6 yrs.

3 Likes

@RapAdmin Thanks for sharing. Did the TRT summary of reduction for all cause mortality change any of your opinion on TRT?

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting that ramipril+statin is beneficial but ramipril and statin alone are not. Is there any evidence that taken together, they would add up to something greater=ramipril+statin+metformin+acarbose would be beneficial?

2 Likes

Thanks, this summary helps to pick and choose which supplements to take.
I simply cannot take all of the supplements that are apparently beneficial.
Keeping track of dose, timing, with or without food, avoiding negative interactions with medications, etc., is just too much.

I have to choose carefully the few I choose to take based on my age, medications I take, etc.,

5 Likes

It would be interesting to know how many supplements the average person on this site takes daily.
Mine is now approximately 20! I simply have to downsize. I take ~10 reliably, the other 10 varies on what I am doing or feeling on a particular day

3 Likes

Why frozen? What about fresh?

Fresh is ok, but they donā€™t stay fresh very long. And freezing is actually even better. See the video here: Can you share your Longevity / HealthSpan Regime? - #198 by RapAdmin

1 Like

Mine too, I almost get nauseous taking them now that I have rapamycin. I donā€™t want to throw them all out but it will take a while to finish.

Iā€™ll continue vitamin d3/k2, magnesium, creatine and melatonin for sure but the restā€¦ citrulline malate :confounded: NAC :nauseated_face:, asthaxanthin :face_vomiting: beta-alanine :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

I can handle them all except astaxanthin. My body just does not get along with it. It gives me dull pain on both sides of my body just below the ribcage at any dosage above 10 mg. Maybe my kidneys are revolting against it or GI bloating. Either way, I hate having dull constant pain.

NAC is OK. I do believe that combined with glycine (which tastes like sugar and is very pleasant), the benefit to glutathione levels is helpful. But maybe I am putting too much stock in the Baylor human tests. I am running a test of n=3 with my family now. Will share results once I get them.

1 Like

LaraPo, youā€™ve been on rapamycin for a long time . Any particular benefits/ side effects after all this time?

From the @RapAdmin article on summary of treatments:: The TRT is surprising. Seen most of these other treatments in many places and studies. TRT 50%+?

Iā€™m skepticalā€¦ but have not yet reviewed the data. Perhaps in a sick population?

1 Like

It sounds like the TRT numbers if they are legit would be for those treated for hypogonadism, which would not be surprising.

Itā€™s hard to tell with TRT studies from abstract/title - I suspect itā€™s not on ā€œhealthyā€ men. Iā€™m still ā€œwait and seeā€ for now. Iā€™m not an expert at TRT but I do know endocrinology can get pretty complex and my observation is I donā€™t see many practitioners even thinking about pharmacogenetics to treat a continuum of what I currently consider hypogonadism. Endocrinologist professional recs are hard cutoffs for subnormal morning serum T at 3 different times which seems too fixed, while other practitioners are highly variable which seems too loose when I see enough middle-aged ā€œhealthyā€ men with vague symptoms (attributed to something else) going on TRT. Thatā€™s enough to give me pause on it personally when it seems thereā€™s not enough precision.

Iā€™ll probably get back to reviewing it when thereā€™s more precision involved, as I donā€™t expect to even consider TRT anytime soon and itā€™s too hard of a call if a patient without clear hypogonadism asked me about it. Iā€™d also be wary if I see the words ā€œbioidenticalā€ or compounded pharmacy. Thereā€™s enough data to be wary of potential quality control issues.

The neuroendocrine system has even more unknowns as we see in the lack of literature describing exogenous high levels of 17aE2 on the brain, while ā€œlow estrogenā€ in men could be mistaken for ā€œlow Tā€. I donā€™t really see any signs of discernment among practitioners (measuring estradiol levels isnā€™t done afaik) but hard to say for sure.

I think getting to ā€œnormal levelsā€ and staying there can be reasonable - but hard to say if intermittent supra-physiological doses based on the delivery method are potentially harmful, so if I was on TRT Iā€™d be careful about getting the titration right. If I was on it, Iā€™d avoid oral form and certain injections - but thereā€™s probably way too much variability on an individual level. The studies out there are non-uniform and there are so many different options that can make it confusing to navigate until one digs really deep.

1 Like

This is a 5 year old talk given, but a fairly extensive review of the literature of Testosterone.Neal Rouzier, MD - Mini Medical Webinar- Testosterone and Cardiovascular Health - YouTube

1 Like

This is a great summary. Thanks so much for this. Just as a side note, I remember reading that spermidine supplements donā€™t appear to increase Spermidine blood concentration in a human study.

2 Likes

Richard miller of the ITP program was going to do lifespan studies with spermidine - but said in this recent interview that they tested it for 8 weeks, but could not find any evidence that it was even getting into the bloodstream, and they felt that if it wasnā€™t even getting into the bloodstream, there was little hope it was going to effect lifespanā€¦ so yes, spermidine is still a big question mark and may be of little value as its currently delivered: Longevity Supplements - Interventions Testing Program Results | Dr. Richard Miller - YouTube

4 Likes

I have heard that spermidine primarily improves the effects of autophagy. If the mice were not in an autophagic state, i.e. not fasting or taking Rapamycin, would spermidine have any effect? I am taking it at the start of my Rapamycin doses. My parents are taking it and have claimed it has made some of their skin blemishes disappear.

There have been other human and mice studies which have shown beneficial effects such as lower CVD incidence and blood pressure.

1 Like