Can Fecal Transplants Help Reverse Aging?

Is anyone looking into these? Seems to be an interesting area of research, but still a ways out. I’ve not seen any companies working on this yet to productize the research.

Transplanting fecal microbiota from young mice into older mice can reverse signs of aging in the gut, brain, and eyes, a team of scientists from the United Kingdom has found. Conversely, transplanting microbiota from old mice to young mice has the opposite effect.

This research provides “tantalizing evidence for the direct involvement of gut microbes in aging and the functional decline of brain function and vision and offers a potential solution in the form of gut microbe replacement therapy,” Simon Carding, PhD, who heads the gut microbes and health research program at the Quadram Institute in Norwich, says in a news release.

Medscape:

Everything You Need to Know About Fecal Transplant Pills & Capsules

2 Likes

Perhaps in the future parents of toddlers can take advantage of their children’s dirty diapers – using these fecal transplant capsules to grow younger themselves…

2 Likes

So there’s no way to do this trans-rectally with some kind of “poop enema” and it has to be pills? Either way is icky, but taking poop would be a hard pill to swallow.

2 Likes

This is a very interesting field to follow. Too many positive papers and studies shown not to ignore it. I believe there is a company in the UK that has done this for years already. Bought tube transplants and pill transplants for longevity reasons and not specific deceases.
Looking to optimize my gut health myself, read a paper yesterday that men with swollen prostate should stay away from fermented foods as the chances of developing prostate cancer shoots up with this diet, 1 hour after I stocked up on sour kraut, greek yoghurt etc. :frowning:
so I guess probiotic in pill form is the safest way for me

Are you sure it was fermented foods and not preserved foods (meat w/nitrates, etc)? Is it a published/peer reviewed paper?

This has been available,

Without first screening the sample in a lab for pathogens, you are putting yourself at high risk for complications and even death / sepsis.

If you want to throw caution to the wind, you can simply obtain a sample and give yourself an enema with the sample.

Your colonic microbiome would definitely be modified.

This is VERY risky and could kill you.

To answer your question, it does not need to be delivered from the upper GI tract with a pill.

2 Likes

Preserved and fermented. The article is not too precise, but an interesting read.
https://www.nature.com/articles/6601755

Keep in mind this is article is almost 2 decades old and used food questionnaires which are notoriously unreliable, and I’ve seen nothing to suggest fermented foods have any real health detriment, only benefits. Meats preserved with nitrates are a different “animal” altogether. I certainly wouldn’t eliminate yogurt, etc based on that one study from 2004.

3 Likes

Not even thinking about doing anything like that, just wondering why all the research seems to be with pills rather than more “direct” transplantation, or even using the capsules as suppositories rather than taken orally.

2 Likes

One positive vote on oral fecal transplants from Kim Kardashian … :grinning:

2 Likes

LOL. Now that’s 'IN-fluencing"

1 Like

If I can’t swallow a pill, will there be a chewable tablet available?

2 Likes

More research in this area…

Paper:

And vaguely related, but more i just don’t want to create a new thread / topic.

1 Like

Holy crap, very cool!

When both my kids were born, we stored their umbilical cords for possible future therapeutic use.

There’s some interesting research going on in his area. I feel as though it’s going an incredibly important part of the longevity toolbox.

This company has an interesting approach, rather than using fecal transplant they process the poop and use the metabolites.

I couldn’t find the article, but I’m sure I read that they recently conducted a trial with C Elegans and their product significantly extended lifespan. Although, take that with a pinch of salt as I may have mixed it up. I read a lot of stuff, after a while it all becomes a blur

2 Likes

Have to say I agree that there’s very little information, which doesn’t inspire much confidence. However I think that using metabolites rather than actual bacteria is a safer approach. It’s not for sale to the public as far as I can see. Broadly, there seems to a lot of interesting research in this space. I think it’s too early right now, but I’m guessing that gut health is going to be a major part of longevity treatments.

1 Like

I believe that the reason that metabolites are better is because as the end product of the microbiome (post biotic) there’s no chance of a bacterial overload or infection as no bacterial strains are released into the body. I’ve heard some horror stories of people having fecal transplants and then dying, so this bypasses the process. I could be way off here though.
Again, very early on this, but here’s a press release from Thaena and Invivo Biosystems. Not advocating the company, just think it’s interesting.

1 Like

There’s a video of a guy who did this on his own with a friend’s poop! He had debilitating digestive issues and this was kinda a hail mary. It’s very crude and I felt at risk of e-coli and MRSA just watching it!

It did end up helping him a lot. The really interesting thing was that his tastes and craving changed to match those of the donor. He had failed to consider that variable and his donor had a big sweet tooth. Previously, he didn’t really care for sweets but, post DIY FMT he did.

In his case, it was a negative, but, with properly screened donors, it could potentially be transformative for people who crave junk food (raises hand), to go along with the GI and potential longevity benefits.

Bottom line for the uber wealthy board members: When selecting your Blood Boy, get one who eats healthy and doesn’t like sweets and add FMT to the menu, so to speak.

1 Like

The FDA has finally approved the first ever treatment for fecal transplant in the US, which is a big step forward. Having an approved treatment paves the way for treatment targeting restoring youthful gut biomes.

1 Like