Bryan Johnson's Longevity Protocol - Your Thoughts?

I’ve watched a few videos and interviews now, and again I think he’s doing important work, but I do wonder about his mental health. How realistic is it for anyone to live the way he does for the rest of his life?
He’ll most likely be the first person to receive actual life extending therapies because of his money and connections, and while I totally get his thesis and appreciate that you have to put the work in, he’s effectively signed up to be a lab rat for the rest of his life. How sustainable is it really? I assume that at some point, you’d want to just reach homeostasis, unclench and maybe have a beer.

7 Likes

Totally unsustainable for the average joe at the moment, but when we see more automation and a UBI and as society shifts from self-harm for enjoyment and more to ‘blueprint-esque’ living, it starts to become a more realistic way of living.

Blueprint-esque: Right now BP is focused on sleep/diet/exercise, but I think it will eventually become like Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc. with daily tasks to practice in society instead of doing everything in the confines of your own home.

We’re social creatures after all.

3 Likes

Lol, so do I have to drill through the wall or floor and run a wire to a copper rod driven into the earth? Or do we just pretend it works without?

For that matter, we have several rods driven into the earth to ground serious equipment. Wouldn’t they unground the earth? Maybe I need to run a wire to the middle of the section away from all electrical equipment.

2 Likes

Seems to be getting awfully close to “tin foil hats to protect us from cell tower radiation”… is there any science behind the idea of “grounding” your sheets?

I’m with you @Paul_2.0 , I find what he’s doing very interesting, and I like the quantification of everything (though I wish he’d share even more data, and information on the equipment he’s using).

But since its very similar to CRON (Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition) he’s going to lose 98% of the population with that approach.

I think that if you just did a good exercise program, good sleep, the longevity drugs he’s doing, some reasonable loading of supplements, and a moderate and healthy diet, the you’d get probably 90% of the benefit he’s getting, with 90% less pain and suffering from the extremism.

10 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised from reading some of the site pages on Blueprint, Johnson has a good passion for this and I like his ideas on the “autonomous self”.

That being said, I wouldnt quite consider his routine a proper CRON style because his calorie intake is around 2k which is not that low, in fact its pretty much normal. His routine probably calls for it because his physical exercise is so high and muscularity etc.

@RapAdmin With a typical CRON approach I think its better to have low exercise/expenditure. This is contrary to conventional health approaches that emphasis fitness and “burning off” food.

3 Likes

I did (do) too. Sometimes I feel he must be really suffering form some terrible anxiety he is trying to escape from, but other times, when you see him speak, the passion, the drive and in a way a really normal solid sound approach to it, it makes me wonder. Maybe is more libidinal than destructive. Who knows. I kind of like what he is doing and seems that he still enjoys life and has good relationships and manages to live some sort of a “normal” or “usual” life besides volunteering to become a “lab rat”.

2 Likes

Low exercise/expenditure, how do you see this ‘working out’ when you’re 60-70-80 years old?

Wouldn’t your VO2max, 1RM and other fitness metrics be down the gutter?

Out of all the things he’s doing, keeping such a low body fat percentage and caloric restriction seems like it would feel stressful. And it would make sense evolutionary. Maybe he is compensating that with testosterone patches and all of the other things he’s doing like HRV training.

1 Like

He probably has some leftover stress\anxiety from when he created and ran his company. That stuff stays with you and haunts your dreams. I still have dreams about stressful occurrence during university and my early working years. I think he’s on the right track now. I mean, with billions of dollars behind you, there’s not a lot of stressors left.

1 Like

He’s richer, his companies are valued at 6B…

1 Like

Its like this,
The declines in old age of fitness metrics are downstream of “fundamental” aging. Im also around your age and its more important to slow the upstream process early on. When someone is already biologically old the benefits of exercise are mostly a means to offset the downstream issues.

3 Likes

Maybe yoga/pilates/calisthenics/tai chi/walking and occasional burst of aerobic activity that puts the heart to sufficient/optimal stress?

I myself go by above and my VO2 max is above average, my muscle mass and BF are in check and my strength is measured differently than typical 1RM. Doing yoga pose, which employs the whole body for strength and stability is IMO much better than training a specific set of muscles for your best 1RM… I also never heard bodybuilders and athletes live longer. I believe you must enjoy the exercise and use the whole body (and mind) while exercising. Otherwise it is reductive. Of course any exercise is better than no exercise.

Thats true, your approach may be more easily compatible. Seems like a form of mind/body alignment. I was earlier mostly referencing typical forms of exercise.

I have a funny anecdote, must be 40 years ago or so, my father was using / experimenting with theta waves to improve learning. But whenever he was listening to this tapes he had, in minutes he was asleep. :sweat_smile: It was a running joke in the family between me and my mom. Must agree that it help his sleep but IDK how much it helped his learning.

6 Likes

He also uses this device https://pulsetto.tech
I would be interested in both. Maybe I will check later more in depth the science behind it. I am wondering does this just improve “the markers” or does indeed do something for the nervous system health? In other words is it just a painkiller that masks the pain or treats the cause of the pain?
I would be interested to try both, but seem really expensive, 600 eur and 300 eur… expensive toys? It seems really novel technology though form a quick research. Maybe it is worthwhile to wait some…

1 Like

@scta123, other former Mormon’s I’ve met in real life are generally highly successful and driven like Bryan but seem borderline obsessed compared to people not raised Mormon. I get the feeling that their upbringing impacts these traits. @RapAdmin, if this reply is inappropriate as stereotyping please few free to remove it.

I bought the pillow he recommended today. 60 USD including shipping is a low enough bar for me. If it improves my sleep, I’ll get one for all my family members.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0989PLM7L?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

I noticed Dr. Sinclair is using the mattress Bryan recommended. I doubt shipping would be cheap to Hong Kong and we run on a different current which typically fries all the electronics I bring from the USA even using adapters.

1 Like

I’m very interested to hear your experience with the pillow! I have a My Pillow and must say it’s better than any other pillow I’ve used so far.

3 Likes

Was BJ raised Mormon? I was not aware of this… well I did not check much about him. Seems that I only background check people with different set of traits :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I personally tried few pillows during last 10-15 years as I had periods of insomnia and neck pain, even trouble breathing at night… but at the end nothing beats the old fashioned duck/goose down/feather pillows IMO. “Alternative pillows” usually “force” you to sleep in certain way, which is hard to control. I move a lot in the night, change positions and seems that down is the best to adapt to this. But would be interested in your experience @DeStrider too. Has been a while I have tried memory foam.

1 Like