Bryan Johnson's Longevity Protocol - Your Thoughts?

108 under the condition that he continues his insane protocol? It’s very likely that he won’t. I predict that he’ll be mentally exhausted in couple years if not sooner.

8 Likes

What do you believe is most mentally exhausting part of his routine?

I personally think that with some minor adjustments and less obsessiveness it is a completely doable and achievable…

Maybe. But he might also end up benefitting from some cutting edge therapy in the not too distant future that allows him to take his foot off the gas.

3 Likes

I’d be happy to put money on it because odds are really against it happening, but all he has to do is outlive me and I’m almost 63. I’ll never collect.

1 Like

As long as he has enough money to hire people to prepare all the food and pack all of his supplement boxes, I think he can probably stick with most of it

2 Likes

I have done this now 6 times through. I really enjoy it. I need to modify the leg raises (can only do 25), pullups and chin ups I use a gravitron to assist a bit, nordics are super hard and catch myself with a push up position and push off as well (google how to do them and they give this as a modification). I only do it every other day, to me every day is excessive, do zone 2 cardio and stretching on off days.

3 Likes

I have been reading Nassim Nicholas Taleb’s Anti-Fragile (great read btw, his other two are good too- fooled by randomness and black swan). He makes the point that throughout time ‘rich’ people have had private Drs or folks working on keeping them young and the outcomes have in almost all cases been shorter lives. ‘Over treatment’ he calls it. Trying to control randomness, which in a way is what aging is - is a fool’s errand. Worth thinking about. BUT, I am going to keep taking Rapa and all the other crap I am doing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bryan Johnson’s face looked much fuller in his latest video (dated 7/27/23), but it looked unnatural to me…pillow face vibe.

Not sure if it was Sculptra or Renuva (or both) that created the look.

3 Likes

Interesting fact, Bryan’s diet is very low sodium. Many of us have heard about U-shape curves with sodium intake, too low is bad just like too high. Might it be another case of a false U-shaped curve (I’ve seen probably a dozen of examples)? He also uses NuSalt, a salt replacement (potassium chloride).

He eats no added sodium/salt. Only way he’s getting sodium is naturally through the food and via pea protein isolate.

Our body seems to be handling sodium as a bad thing in “large” amounts, or normal amounts, making us thirsty so we drink water to dilute it out and get rid of it. Of course it makes food better so we consume it regardless in large amounts.

2 Likes

Addressing The Salt Controversy - YouTube

2 Likes

Imo it’s his strict schedule and constant testing.

https://twitter.com/bryan_johnson/status/1683948255506493443?s=46&t=ujBXvjsf5sfNM8J1qi8RfQ

1 Like

So basically too high sodium intake will increase risk of stroke/be bad? Now i’m wondering if there’s compounded benefits here, as majority of people get high blood pressure which seems like a mystery…

Most likely he’s lonely and it’s destructive if long time. I wouldn’t like to live like that year after year.

7 Likes

Thanks, now the pictures are loading, I’m going to try it and I am going to blend it for sure.
I’m starting to think that Bryan actually likes what he’s eating. But the positive valence peaks from his foods can’t possibly be as high as pizza/donuts/hamburgers or whatever else people tease him with. But the higher valence states should be of a quite short duration, while eating healthily might improve hedonic tone as well as baseline happiness. Not sure though.

2 Likes

This lady may as well lol

2 Likes

I modified his routine a little, but I really like it. I agree every day seem excessive. On days off I do yoga/pilates/tai chi…
I really don’t like doing zone 2 cardio and this workout routine pushes my heart rate to zone 2 90% (128-138 bpm), but I do it as Bryan without any stops.

1 Like

From his videos I wouldn’t draw the conclusion that he is lonely though. He meets people, goest to work, his son is living with him…
And all this obsessiveness might be that gives certain predictability that might have a calming effect, helps with his anxiety :sweat_smile::thinking:
He has this zero yt live where he coaches others into blueprint life and his reasonings are sometimes really sound. Of course there is little space for self destructive playfulness but in a way he is not just a man in midlife crisis overwhelmed by death anxiety.

3 Likes

My diastolic BP seems elevated and is measured rarely lower than 75-85, my doctor said it is probably from high sodium intake and indeed I like my food seasoned “just right”. I did an experiment, two weeks off sodium and my BP decreased on average by few points. But when I reintroduced sodium (I really hated almost all food without salt even though I used salt substitute) I added few glasses more of water intake. It did the same for me. I am assuming SGLT2 inhibitor would do the same, but ATM just adding more water and slowly reducing salt to a point I still feel food is palatable is my goal. Water helps with additional
soluble fiber I take as an experiment to lower LDL-C too.
N=1

2 Likes

There are versions of salt which are a mixture of potassium chloride and sodium chloride. I think it is 25% KCl 75% NaCl. That may give you the best of both worlds. I think one of the issues with Sodium levels is the Sodium Potassium Pump

I think if you keep the balance between Na and K in a reasonable state at bit of extra sodium won’t do as much harm as it might otherwise.

I would check your blood levels of potassium and sodium.

Potassium tends to be a lot lower than Sodium, but there is an issue of balance here.

3 Likes

Thx. I will try to find this 75-25 salt and see if it is any better :sweat_smile: I really disliked the potassium chloride taste.

I had both checked and are normal, sodium at 142 mmol/l and potassium at 4,8 mmol/l

I must correct the above statement about blood pressure. I am fixated on the high number of diastolic pressure, but in reality last 6 months diastolic pressure was 67-87 and average of all measurements is 70. Still there are quite few measurements above 75.