Bryan Johnson's Longevity Protocol - Your Thoughts?

Well, maybe if you are doing all these heroic interventions, you can change some of the constants in the Gompertz equation. I changed the constant in the denominator of the exponent of the exponent to get these curves.

gompertz

I have no wish to exceed 90–I could not afford to live that long even if I wanted to! Eighty-five, maybe. What I want is to remain relatively healthy, vital, independent, and decent looking until I suddenly drop dead. But by some metrics I am aging right on schedule–got presbyopia at 43, menopause in the early 50s (this might have something to do with dietary and or bodyfat, though), and I suspect that I have lost about an inch in height although I haven’t had this confirmed yet. I’m starting to see a bit of bone loss in my jaw, and so on. Overall, I can’t complain. People say nice things. They have no clue how much I do and for how long I have been doing it to look like I do.

But I’m not looking forward to an accelerated rate of decline from 60-70, even more accelerated from 70-80 and beyond. I wish there were a way to avoid that.

7 Likes

Bryan Johnson’s DunedinPace of aging as reported on Rejuvenation Olympics is 0.74 (average of 3 measurements).

If we assume that he would live to be 85 without his protocol, it means that, at 45 years old, he has 40 years left.

40 years divide by 0.74 equals 54 years. So at a rate of aging of 0.74, he will live to be 45 + 54 = 99.

3 Likes

That decline that you are afraid of may not start at 60. All depends on you. I’m 68 and I didn’t have accelerated rate of decline after 60. At 60 I didn’t feel much different from my 50. Today I don’t feel much different from my 60. My mother is 2 months short of 91. Her gradual physical (not mental) decline started at 80. She still lives independently and does her own grocery shopping. I know for sure that she plans to live much longer. She takes rapamycin and other supplements with enthusiasm. All her friends are 10-15 years younger. It could be natural that we may easily last till 100 if we take good care of ourselves.

6 Likes

Just say as a thought experiment that partial reprogramming works in humans, a whole range of next gen CRISPR treatments, other gene therabipies etc, etc, etc come online in 10-15 years (that are affordable and safe) such that they reverse your “biological age” by say 20 years

And then after another 10-15 years you get access to even better therapies that give you another 25-30 years rejuvenation

In this thought experiment would you like go become say a 100 year old with a 55 years olds body, cognition and health?

What about 110 years with the body, cognition and health of a 35 year old?

3 Likes

That would depend on a lot of externals, such as the following:

1. Will I have enough money for it?

2. Who is going to want to employ me when I am over 90?

3. What will be the state of the biosphere? At the rate we are going, it doesn’t look too good.

4. Politics. I will refrain from elaborating for now.

3 Likes

110 with the body of a 35 year old would be great! Looking forward to it :grinning:

5 Likes

Could you list the ten steps? I’m not a twitter user. I am guessing they will be eat less, exercise more, lower stress, better sleep, but that’s only four.

I have the vertical lines but not the horizontal ones.

I start looking like Cruella De Ville (from the original animated movie) with the cheekbones and chin sharp enough to cut paper when my body fat gets really low (14%-ish for me). And with my BMI of around 18.5 I really can’t afford to lose much so I’m focusing on recomposition rather than weight loss.

1 Like

Interesting. In the theme of thought experiments. Let’s flip that. Say hypothetically that each of 1-4 in that list go really, really badly the next 3 years, would you recommend to your friends and loved ones that they say goodbye to their lives?

The contrapositive would be this-- if life becomes very difficult and/or painful, it is not worth engaging in elaborate interventions to hypothetically extend one’s life. I’d probably agree with that.

That is a very different thing from suggesting that people kill themselves.

Most people do not look forward to death, but they are constantly engaging in self-destructive behaviors that hasten their demise. By 2050 60-80% of us in the USA are projected to be obese.

That would be great.

Do you know of any interventions to keep the ribcage and pelvis from expanding with age? This is something that happens without gaining weight. That’s the only thing that distresses me with the current state of my body. Everything else is fine.

Where are all the wasp-waisted 70 year olds? I’ve never seen one.

BBL is Sciton’s trademark version of IPL.

3 Likes

Besides keeping normal weight nothing comes to mind re interventions. My weight is low - 112 lb, and I try hard to keep it not lower. My waist is still 28”. Wear size 4 all my life. Don’t think that anything will change in the near future.

My father is 77 and goes to the gym 7 hours a week. He loves his body and has beaten cancer twice (skin and prostate. The easiest ones to beat.). He has not experienced any decline (although he had both hips replaced). He says he feels like he’s 30. Prevent what you can and fix the rest. He’ll be starting Rapa this month.

8 Likes

Ok. What about the answer to the two questions if the answers to your points 1-4 are all very positive?

This lady seems quite wasp-waisted and mobile at 91.
Her daughter sometimes posts her on her instagram where she gives plenty of advice for post menopausal women.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrBkygktpe-/

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 12.40.44

6 Likes

You have to start investing money in stock market and bonds… in index funds. They increase exponentially, so the older you get, the richer you become.

3 Likes

Exactly. Don’t try to gamble on the stock market and stock pick unless you’re a professional. Index funds such as:

VOO (SP 500)
QQQ (Nasdaq 100)
MOAT

Are all good choices to grow your money in a fire and forget fashion. Even bond funds are good right now. You can put some in each of the above and do pretty well over the long term.

As a tip, the end of October is usually the low point for the stock market and a great time to add new funds.

3 Likes

The risk of over-complicating things, and we’re going a bit off-topic:

Bonds are actually always the same relative to stocks as there is a roughly constant risk premium over the risk free rate. However most people cannot stomach the volatility of 100% stocks or are close to retirement hence require bonds. It’d be bad to sell stocks during a market decline of -50%, where 50% bonds might only make one’s portfolio decline by -25%. For people who have a long way to retirement, a larger allocation to stocks is more preferable as it increases the yearly expected return.

In an efficient market, there should be no difference investing in any month, but whatever makes one interested in investing is good. Getting as large of the market for the lowest price (fee) is very good.

2 Likes

Bonds are best when the risk free rate is high (like now) and likely to decline. Bonds are not great when the risk free rate is low or close to zero like in 2020.

1 Like
2 Likes