Best Lab Work for General Health?

I am getting lab work done at the request of my PCP and I want to try and add some labs. I think, as of now, it will be basic lipid panel. Does anyone have strong opinions on some must have labs for general health? Unfurtanately Sirolimus is not an option (i plan to do this on my own)

on my list is so far is ApoB (or LDL-P), Vit. D, fasting Insulin, Glucose, and hba1c.

Lp(a) would be a good idea if you’ve never had one done before and have concerns about cardiovascular disease. It doesn’t tend to change throughout life so if it’s normal, you probably don’t need another one done. Obviously also a CMP and CBC but they’ll order that anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks, had Lp(a) checked already, but great suggestion! Thats the kind of suggestion i’m looking for.

Not a lab, but I think an easily measurable metric that often gets somewhat overlooked is blood pressure. The SPRINT trial showed that treating to <120 has substantially better outcomes than treating to <140. If your blood pressure is even a hair above 120 systolic, you may derive benefit from low-dose treatment.

3 Likes

If you’re willing to pay out of pocket, a VO2 max test could also be a beneficial piece of information. Your PCP wouldn’t be able to order this necessarily, but could maybe refer you someplace to get one. If not, I know there are places you can get one done without a referral, but it can be a little expensive. As you probably know, VO2 max is one of the most powerful predictors of mortality – I think that identifying and fixing shortcomings in this domain could be helpful.

3 Likes

Vitamin B12. Found that I am on the low end of the range and plan to supplement:
“The vitamin B12 standard reference range is 200–700 pg/ml whereas the proposed optimal range is 500–1300 pg/ml [10]. Higher vitamin B12 ranges have been associated with increased cognitive function, and reflexes, decreased brain atrophy, confusion, weakness and depression [10].”

[

Integrative health check reveals suboptimal levels in a number …

](Integrative health check reveals suboptimal levels in a number of vital biomarkers - ScienceDirect)

2 Likes

This is defnitly something I plan on doing within the next year.

You may want to do a Dexa scan to check on your lean body mass, and/or bone density:

https://www.bodyspec.com/what-is-dxa

https://www.dexafit.com

2 Likes

Scheduled Dexa for October. It’s the first one for me. Worry about extra radiation that I’ll receive but to know bone density is important.

1 Like

A backwards way to look at this is that heart disease is most common reason for death in the country followed by cancer. Calcium scoring / CIMT testing will let you know if you have started down the road of creating plaque. Advanced lipid testing ( Cleveland Heart Labs is one vendor), ApoE, MTHFR, insulin resistance calculation, CRP, Apo-B are some options to consider. Screen for cancers per your risk level of age and family history.

3 Likes

This is something I really want to do. It would be more out of interest right now because I am in great shape and relatively young, lift weights, do zone 2 and zone 5 training, and am actively building muscle.

I agree with you, most people do not realize how important it is to control B/P. High B/P will damage arteries, in brain, heart, kidney’s and throughout the body. I personally try to keep mine below 110. Have been doing this for 4 years without incident.

3 Likes

How are you keeping your BP down?

1 Like

For tests in general, ask yourself a few questions:
How much will it cost?
How accurate is it?
Is there a better test?
Will the results change my behavior?

How do you do it? Pls share your protocol.

I remember my years in a large University’s emergency room when things would get insanely hectic and I’d remember to ask myself 2 questions.

Which patient has something life threatening?

And is it treatable?

So if someone were short of breath I’d focus in on things like pulmonary embolism, heart failure, etc., that we’re both life threatening and treatable.
Panic attack would be treatable but not life threatening and metastatic cancer life threatening but not usually treatable ( at least in an ER).

I use those same rules with medical tests. I want to identify things like CAD and early stage cancers when interventions can save your life, but there’s no room for delay.

After that, take a look at metabolic issues that take decades to actually kill you. These are important, but not imminently so.

There are certain people for whatever reason genetics or otherwise have high blood pressure. I had a young engineer working for me who was in good shape and played ice hockey but was on several meds for his blood pressure. They were constantly having to adjust medications and dosing for him. I asked what was the problem, but his only response was " It runs in my family".

However, for most people, it is their BMI; lower BMI = lower BP or losing weight = lower BP.

As I have aged my blood pressure has risen slightly. When my systolic BP started to increase above ≥130 mm Hg, I asked my doctor what I should do and he prescribed Losartan 25 mg tablets, which is a low dose. He prescribed it once in the morning, but I quickly changed to taking it after supper as it was almost too effective. I like to keep my BP between 120 and 125 mm/Hg because that is where I feel the best. When it’s below 120 I don’t feel like I have any energy.

Association of Body Mass Index With Blood Pressure Among 1.7 Million Chinese Adults.

" Losartan potassium appears to be effective in elderly patients."

Losing weight has helped my blood pressure. Now I worry about it being too low rather than too high. I just checked and it was 102/60.

1 Like

Is it in kg or lbs? Mine is also low (110 lbs) and no matter how much I eat it stays low. My ideal weight is 115-118 lbs.

I am trying to lose wait, but it is terribly difficult.