Berberine Supplement

Any one have success using Berberine? If so, what dose protocol do/did you follow?

1 Like

I have not read much about berberine - but what I have read suggests it operates quite similarly to metformin. Iā€™ve become dissuaded from metformin because generally it doesnā€™t seem to be that helpful for people who are healthy, good weight and exercising regularly - and seems to add issues related to muscle recovery after exercise.

Of course, Metformin is a long-used drug with a lot of research behind it. As a supplement, Berberine probably has much less research, clinical trials, etc. on it.

1 Like

i tried this, seems able to reduce my appetite.

1 Like

Thank you both for the valuable replies.

Also, berberine inhibits CYP 3A4 (liver and intestinal enzyme) and may therefore increase absorption and decrease elimination of rapamycin.

3 Likes

I have taken on and off both berberine and metformin.
From all the data i have see, they are fairly similar.

I recently switched back to metformin, for one simple reason.
Metformin, you can easily get an extended release version, so you get better 24 hour coverage.
With berberine, at least in theory, you want to take it 30 min or so before your meal.

2 Likes

Berberine also seems to have some antibiotic effects. It is widely used to treat Lyme disease when conventional antibiotics are unsuccessful.

2 Likes

A paper for you to review;

2 Likes

Joseph. Thanks for sharing this article. Very much informative and appreciated.

Why before meals? What is the logic/theory?

Thanks.

Been taking 1500-2000 mg berberine divided doses for year or two. Seems to help with fasting blood sugar.

Tested 1000 mg of berberine with CGM
Didnā€™t have much if any effect.
Significant reduction in BG with metformin
I donā€™t think these two are interchangeable

3 Likes

Paul - thanks for posting this. Iā€™ve heard a lot that berberine is the supplement equivalent of metformin - but your evidence seems to suggest not so much. Has anyone else taken berberine and tracked blood glucose response?

Check berberine research at examine.com. Site run by PhD types and they donā€™t sell any supps.

1 Like

Hi, yes, same for me - exact same meal one preceded by 1000mg berberine, and the line on the CGM was virtually identical.

1 Like

clinical trials have been done showing they are comparable. since its a supplement and not regulated, i wonder how much is really in your average capsule, vs what the bottle says.

since berberine is generally not extended release, for it to work, you probably need to take it 30 min before your meal.

Efficacy of Berberine in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes - PMC.

ā€œCompared with metformin, berberine exhibited an identical effect in the regulation of glucose metabolism, such as HbA1c, FBG, PBG, fasting insulin and postprandial insulin. In the regulation of lipid metabolism, berberine activity is better than metformin.ā€

2 Likes

Indeed, it could have been as simple as me having a fake supplement; I ought to try it again with a different supplier.
I have also since read that Cinnamon can increase insulin sensitivity. That particular meal I did the measurement with had a fair amount of cinnamon in it - Iā€™m wondering if that actually overrode the benefit of the Berberine, hence not seeing any difference in the CGM results.

1 Like

Isutiger, I have not used berberine so far, but I have done research. If you are still researching consider adding Endurance Products Dihydroberberine SR as a product to investigate. I believe it is sustained release in a wax matrix. I consider it less likely to cause digestive upset if it is slowly released. But, I have not tried it and I donā€™t know for sure.

3 Likes

Thanks Jay. I will investigate your suggestion.

Perhaps on MKā€™s AMA or elsewhere I heard something favorable about Berberine, but this mice study at Atrogin-1 Affects Muscle Protein Synthesis and Degradation When Energy Metabolism Is Impaired by the Antidiabetes Drug Berberine - PMC concluded that ā€œBerberine stimulates muscle atrophy in mice.ā€ If Peter Attia Ā¶ is right about the importance of muscle mass and strength (and he almost certainly is) and IF this study was also true for humans, Berberine supplements should be avoided.

2 Likes