Bacterial infection / Rapamycin

I read where Dr. Green said bacterial infections were worse with rapamycin; I am wondering what the treatment of choice is - if such a problem were to occur. Z-Pack? Something else?

2 Likes

Synthetic mtor activators to neutralize the effects of rapamycin ?

Hi, this is still a bit unclear. People in our poll don’t report more bacterial infections, and some of the researchers focused on rapamycin don’t think there is either, but I think Dr. Green says this simply based on the fact that rapamycin at higher, continual daily doses does downregulate the immune system.

See our section on Side effects: Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)

I think Dr. Green writes a prescription for zpack at the same time as rapamycin. There are others who disagree with this approach: What is Dr. Green’s rationale for Z-pak/azithromycin over other antibiotics? Seems dangerous!

Thank you - and I had read those who disagree with Dr. Green’s approach, so if Z-Pack is not the way, what do these others recommend / suggest?

My father got a slight thigh lymphadenitis yesterday night after our first 13 mg dose yesterday (I copy Johnson’s bi-weekly dosage). Last time the dosage was 5mg about 10 days ago with slight mouth sore on both of us, which disappeared rather quickly on itself. I have Z-pak on hand and let my father take it now for safety, but I’m not sure if it’s better for us do to nothing like last time.
For a layman like me, Azithromycin seems an antibiotic with more efficacy but higher risk like QT prolongation, liver disease, colitis or myasthenia gravis, etc.
Comparison of antibiotics from another post by rule of thumb (rating by users):

To avoid QT prolongation, these things my father takes regularly might help: Aspirin and Simvastatin (and maybe atorvastatin) but not other statins (it seems that other statins are more controversial), 2.5 g magnesium malate and 1.4 g potassium citrate.
Reference: CN101227908A - Compositions for reducing the incidence of drug induced arrhythmia - Google Patents

1 Like

Rapa can increase apoB which is atherogenic, but decreasing apoB is important anyway.
If you want to optimize Rosuvastatin is less likely to cross the blood-brain barrier because it is hydrophilic which Peter Attia says could be important for brain health if desmosterol levels become too low (uncertain). But the lipophilic statins are assosciated with lower risk of Alzheimer’s, I just found out, so this is a bit confusing to me.

2 Likes

Thank you for this input, I might try Rosuvastatin next time. After reading your words, I’ve had a look at the links below:

Another candidate is pitavastatin which is lipophilic, but might be better for the liver:

1 Like