Astaxanthin: A Potential Treatment in Disease and Aging, Lifespan Increase

I found this:

1 Like

Turmeric Update: In Europe, 120+ cases of hepatitis probably caused by turmeric supplements, according to the ANSES (Agence nationale de sĂ©curitĂ© sanitaire de l’alimentation, de l’environnement et du travail):

1 Like

Do you know dose?
Was it from the same company suggesting a contamination at the plant?
Mixed with something else?

They don’t indicate the doses or any specific products at the origin of this recent outbreak, no. It looks like the cases are too different for that, or are based on a too general phenomenon. The main source of the information in France is a national “vigilance system”. The Anses then decides what to do and in this case, they chose to publish the above paper, where they recommend that brokers add information about bioavailability on the product stickers, so that a reliable maximal daily dose can be defined. This because of some new breeds of turmeric supplements with (I quote/translate word by word):

• associations of curcumin and piperine or essential oil of curcuma
  • more elaborate forms: phytosomal complex, micelle, colloidal nanoparticles, encapsulation by cyclodextrins

Interesting: the agency advises against turmeric supplements for people with biliary tract pathologies and people who are taking anticoagulants, anticancer or immunosuppressive drugs.

2 Likes

Ok I poached it tonight. Dill, capers, red onion, EVOO.

8 Likes

Hope it tastes good as it looks fabulous.

Better. I eat a little red meat, once a week max. But when you eat this quality/nutritional value of animal protein, I have no desire for red meat.

2 Likes

I take the NOW Astaxanthin supplement. 10 mg daily at night after dinner. No side effects noted although I think it turns my feces a reddish color. I can live with that.

After reading the above, I think I should up my intake to 30-40 mg daily.

It seems that Sports Research has a 12 mg version that is as cheap as the NOW brand 10 mg version that I currently take.

2 Likes

The mice lived a long happy life in a meclizine coma. :rofl:

1 Like

Flamingos in captivity can live up to 83 years.

Normal flamingos live 20-30 years in the wild.

Longevity Lesson: Get captured and have someone take care of you.

3 Likes

FWIW, I haved used/been using this on and off.

1 Like

Be careful! The company, Osasuna, that makes the supplements you are buying has been insinuated to be a fraud on Amazon. From Amazon:

Question:

The osasuna company address on the back does not exist. i live in kentucky. is this product even legit. could it have dangerous chemicals in it?

Answer:

If you go to the listing for Corllia’s liposomal NAD+ and search the user questions, you’ll find some interesting material about third-party testing establishing that companies operating out of the Serumlab S&C International LLC (Keizer, OR) address are selling fake supplements. More broadly, if you search your favorite search engine for an article on fake supplements on Amazon, you’ll find more supporting documentation. In light of that–and the fake that Osasuna appears to share a lot of traits with the companies identified as frauds–I don’t think your concern is misplaced. Better to stick with brands that can prove the purity of their supplements with recent U.S.-based certificates of analysis from reputable firms. see less
By SprinterGlory on June 14, 2022

1 Like

FWIW I have purchased 4 bottles{2 - 2 bottle purchases] over the past 4 months. Was/is the largest single dose per capsule I have located.

1 Like

OK, I upped my dosage from 10 mg to 40 mg. I got hit with side effects. At 40 mg I experienced bouts of nausea and dull to sharp pains on both sides below the ribcage. I thought it might be the kidneys but hopefully due to GI bloating. Feces turned red
 really red. Backed down to 10 mg. Symptoms cleared up. Tried 20 mg, pain came back on right side along with more GI bloating, but not as bad as before. Feces leaving a pink stain in the toilet. Burping more, so gas could be the issue. I will be going back to 10 mg and will probably stay there.

3 Likes

So
 I guess that getting up to 3 grams a day, which seems to be the level that the NIA ITP program was giving the mice to get life-extending effects, may be more difficult than planned

2 Likes

I am a study of n=1. It seems I may be unlucky with this supplement regarding side effects. Maybe others will have better luck. It seems to give me a lot of gas. I guess my microbiome doesn’t care for it? Or they like it too much?

Consider looking at the “supplement” brand.

What other compounds/ingredients are in the supplement your are taking?

That’s a possibility that the side effects are coming from some other source. I’ll give it a break and try again later.

What brand did you use?

The listed ingredients?

 use the NOW brand supplement. They tend to be OK IMHO.

10 mg Extra strength

Other Ingredients: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Softgel Capsule (gelatin, water, glycerin) and Vitamin E (as natural d-alpha tocopherol). Contains refined soy oil (non-GMO).

1 Like