Astaxanthin: A Potential Treatment in Disease and Aging, Lifespan Increase

A person on twitter responded to my Astaxanthin post with this - has anyone dove deep into this research?

I’ve heard that Astaxanthin can affect DHT levels, similar to 5ar inhibitors. Obviously not everyone will be onboard for lowering DHT:

Seems to be some basis for this belief:

and

ConsumerLab Response:

Astaxanthin can increase testosterone levels in men by blocking its conversion to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Since testosterone can also be converted by the body to estradiol, an estrogen hormone that, in excess, can lead to breast enlargement in men (gynecomastia), concern has been raised that astaxanthin may indirectly increase the risk of gynecomastia by increasing testosterone levels. However, there is no evidence that taking astaxanthin increases levels of estradiol or the risk of breast enlargement.

2 Likes

Astaxanthin is a potent 5ar inhibitor in vitro. In vivo is another story…

1 Like

Natural astaxanthin is too expensive, so I plan to take BASF or DSM’s synthetic astaxanthin for feeding fish, which is very cheap. What are everyone’s opinions?

Synthetic astaxanthin is a mix of several additionaly isomers which may not occur in the algae source.

1 Like

I’d love to hear more on this., @dhm . Thank you.

Read this thread, and the documents included in it: Astaxanthin, Natural vs. Synthetic - Your Thoughts?

Thank you, @RapAdmin , but I both read this and commented on it over time. I was really looking to hear what the proportion of isomers and chiral “siblings” of astaxanthin was, and if it was simply right-handed” vs “left-handed” or is there more complex chirality. I’m curious if the naturally occur al chiral product is the one which causes longevity, or is the reason the synthetic works is due to a non-natural chiral sibling or one of the other isomers. I dont think I saw this in the papers cited, although one showed the serum proportions of different isomers without regard to longevity (or chirality).

I looked for research grade astaxanthin and it was very expensive versus the algae version. Others have found the synthetic fish coloring to be relatively cheap (1kg or more). So what am I missing versus the “synthetic fish coloring”? — how does it differ from research grade?

1 Like

You’ve identified good questions… and I’m afraid I don’t know the answers. I’m not even sure if all the various “synthetic” versions of astaxanthin are identical molecules, or slight variations… Hopefully we can dig up some of the answers to this questions.

3 Likes

I’m taking 12mg daily of the “natural” astaxanthin. Like virtually everything in the longevity space, I’m likely reducing my longevity because of the stress of worrying that the supplements I’m taking for longevity are actually hurting my longevity, even if they are actually helping my longevity….

6 Likes

I wonder if 12mg of natural astaxanthin is even enough now since the ITP tested a supposedly 3x more bioavailable form of synthetic astaxanthin at an astronomical dose. I’m taking 24mg of the more expensive 3x better synthetic one now but damn, this is the most expensive supplement I take now and I still wonder if it’s even enough.

It is frustrating they tested such a high dose that is impossible for any human to take.

What are everyone’s thoughts?

2 Likes

It’s near impossible to keep dosing as high as the ITP. I have to believe that smaller doses can be effective. Just look at statins. 5 mg of a statin is 72% as effective as 40 mg.

While we may not get the maximal benefit at 12-24 mg, I do think we are getting some. It’s enough for me to continue taking it.

3 Likes

Yea I’m hoping you’re right which is why I’m still taking it (and switched the the version they tested in the ITP). As far as I now, ZanthoSyn and AX3 are the only two brands that sell that particular version if I’m not mistaken. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

But I just found this which isn’t the same version but is much cheaper and a higher dose and a better delivery system according to them.

Liposomal Astaxanthin Supplement 24MG, Maximum Absorption, Antioxidant Stronger Than VIT C, Non-GMO & Gluten Free - 120 Softgels(4 Months Supply) https://a.co/d/1QCiQ0r

May I ask who the provider is and home much that costs?

ZanthoSyn or AX3?

ZanthoSyn appears to be slightly cheaper but their inventory seems low given their larger bottle is currently out of stock.

You can just Google the brands and they’ll show up

Thx. Nothing in your research came up re which brand may be more reliable? Third party testing or anything like that?

From what I understand, ZanthoSyn was the company from Hawaii that used their brand in the ITP, while AX3 makes the exact identical formulation of astaxanthin as ZanthoSyn.

1 Like

The pharma company making ZanthoSyn is Cardax Pharma

Cardax is a consumer health company focused on marketing ZanthoSyn®, a physician recommended astaxanthin dietary supplement for inflammatory health.* ZanthoSyn® is available through Cardax’s commercial website, www.zanthosyn.com.

AX3 is another company from the CEO of Cardax that sells Cardax’s ZanthoSyn

David M. Watumull has more than twenty years of experience in product development, commercialization, and business management related to astaxanthin—a safe and powerful, naturally-occurring anti-inflammatory for human health. He is the co-founder and CEO of AX3, a consumer longevity company formed to help people be their best selves, longer. AX3 targets inflammaging—a core hallmark of aging—at its source with bio-pure astaxanthin. He is also the COO of Cardax, a life sciences business focused on advancing pharmaceutical and nutraceutical applications of astaxanthin.

5 Likes

I bought product from Life Extension, 30 day supply @ 4mg per is around $10.
Only taken around 3 wks so far so not time enough to notice benefits.
They claim it is natural product from algae.

1 Like

I would be hesitant to believe the labels of many astaxanthin brands based on this report:

https://www.nowfoods.com/quality-safety/nows-testing-results-astaxanthin-products-august-2023

2 Likes

Could you post the content of that link? It’s FORBIDDEN to me. :slight_smile: