Astaxanthin: A Potential Treatment in Disease and Aging, Lifespan Increase

OCH, so much for my new found calming substance :smile: Is it my other calming/increased focus supplement //valerian root gonna give me cancer also :smile:

No - the only benefits I think I saw were better skin condition. More importantly, Iā€™m wondering if there might be other blood markers that I may need to watch for, either to identify any issues, or identify benefits over the coming months of higher dose use.

Iā€™m going to review the literature again and see if I can identify any.

2 Likes

ā€œAstaxanthin: Sources, Extraction, Stability, Biological Activities and Its Commercial Applicationsā€”A Reviewā€

1 Like

I use glycine not as a sleep aid because in my experience it just does not work as well as serine, just as those who have used 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) instead of l-tryptophan have probably not noticed the same results. The only sleep aid, and I am not using it as a sleep aid, is melatoni.
Implying that serine is a carcinogen stretch. Sugar is more dangerous IMO.

1 Like

That sugar is the eternal enemy of humanity-there is little dispute on that. I just started Serine and I liked the results, and I might keep using it at low dose. Actually, I used last night one cap of serine, one valerian root, and one Theanine. I totally loved the way I felt in the morning and had a very good night of sleep (though the sleep part is usually normal for me). Actually, one of the ways that I decide it a supplement is worth taking is mainly paying close attention how I feel the next morning when I wake up. So by that measure Serine is real good. I was going to take it in higher doses including mornings, but given the info that was posted in here, Iā€™ll use it only at night and in lower doses. And if I hapen to still get cancer from it then @desertshores Iā€™m coming after you, because i started taking it on your suggestion :smile:

It isnā€™t on Californiaā€™s carcinogenic hazard list, and you know even air is on that list. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

LOL I concur. You won!

Not sure how good this stuff would be, but this Indian supplier has Astaxanthin at $0.60 per bottle of 10 mg capsules (60 each), meaning youā€™d be right at $1 per gram. I didnā€™t log in to request quotes or anything, but the page states a minimum or order of 1000 bottles, so youā€™d be looking at $600 if they did indeed required that.

This stuff would be about $5.30 per gram:

These claim to be 500 mg per capsule, but not sure how accurate that is

1 Like

The first one listed here wonā€™t show more photos (such as ingredients) unless I add my email, so no thank you. The second product listed says it is from algae, so it is what o suspected: a bunch of algae crushed up which is roughly 2% astaxanthin, suspended in oil.I couldnā€™t blow the image up enough to see what kind of oil it is (crappy industrial seed oil? Pure coconut oil? Motor oil?)

I couldnā€™t tell from research Iā€™ve read how they get their astaxanthin but if it was me running the experiment, Iā€™d spend a bit of my grant money and buy the actual pure(ish) astaxanthin from a chemical supply house rather than crushed algae. (Iā€™m guessing it is too expensive to isolate from the algae.) So I ask: are we possibly doing some harm to ourselves with these capsules based on crushed algae suspended in some industrial oil (especially if weā€™re taking ā€œhigher dosesā€ ā€” @RapAdmin this may include you). Iā€™m taking 12mg per day but this makes me nervous. Thoughts?

Also, are antioxidants exchangeable? ā€” can I swap astraxanthin for vitamin C or other antioxidants? Or is this specifically a signaling impact?

FWIW

I use these two brands;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09VWVZHXM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B518XXPG?

I have no financial interest in either product. I am a user of both products.

No. You canā€™t just swap antioxidants.

The way I understand it, all antioxidants have at least this one thing in common: they stop or inhibit free radicals from wreaking havoc on healthy cells in your body. The thing is there are many different kinds of free radicals and there many different antioxidants. Some antioxidants work exclusively on certain types free radicals. Some antioxidants work synergistically when paired with another antioxidant. There are many factors.

3 Likes

Hi, can I ask which brand of astaxanthin youā€™re taking to get to 120mg? Thanks!

@DeStrider I was using this brand from Costco, that they had a sale on a while back. Iā€™m still looking for a more cost-effective solutionā€¦ Iā€™ve gone as high as 240mg / day, but want to try higher doses, per the ITP study.

https://www.costco.com/bioastin-hawaiian-astaxanthin-12-mg.%2C-120-soft-gels.product.100096538.html

4 Likes

Thank you! Unfortunately, that brand is extremely expensive here in the UK. Most of the affordable astaxanthin here in the UK is either fake or deceptively marketed. For example, they claim the astaxanthin is 12mg per capsule, but when you look at the small print itā€™s actually 12mg of a 5% astaxanthin oil, which actually equates to just 0.6mg of astaxanthin per capsule. The most affordable astaxanthin is actually powdered astaxanthin in a capsule shell. Curiously are you aware of any research regarding the bioavailable absorption of powdered capsules vs soft gels?

I take this one sourced from Amazon UK - 24mg 60 caps @ Ā£14
Liposomal Astaxanthin Supplement 24mg Per Serving, Powerful Antioxidant Formula Than VIT C, Eye & Immune Health Support, Superior Absorption (60 Count (Pack of 1)) Amazon.co.uk
The brand appears to have several supplements at fair prices (I have no financial interest in this company and have not tried any of their other items)

That is a great find, thank you. I feel stupid for not checking more closely.

Iā€™ve recheck my most recent bottle and it clearly says ā€œ12mg astraxanthinā€ but who knows if truth in labeling is a thing anymore.

2 Likes

This does not appear to have any Astaxanthin. The company does not exist. It is the same as this product on the USA website (with a different brand name). [https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09VWVZHXM?th=1](https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09VWVZHXM?th=1)

Also independently verified not to contain any Astaxanthin. Price is also good to be true for 24mg.

1 Like

That brand is almost identical to this brand on amazon.com. Take a look at the one-star reviews and youā€™ll see this brand is fake. Here is a link to those reviews for the Liposomal 24mg reviews:-

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B09VX787GV/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

2 Likes

According to HPLC analysis, it only contains 0.8mg of astaxanthin per soft gel.

2 Likes

The New ITP results:

Astaxanthin and meclizine extend lifespan in UM-HET3 male mice; fisetin, SG1002 (hydrogen sulfide donor), dimethyl fumarate, mycophenolic acid, and 4-phenylbutyrate do not significantly affect lifespan in either sex at the doses and schedules used

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11357-023-01011-0

7 Likes