Astaxanthin: A Potential Treatment in Disease and Aging, Lifespan Increase

Wow @GoncaloCC good find - published today

@RapAdmin - should this perhaps be broken out as its own thread or into one of the generic ones about ITP?

4 Likes

the Nrf2 activator astaxanthin (Asta) extended the median male lifespan by 12% (p = 0.003, log-rank test), while meclizine (Mec), an mTORC1 inhibitor, extended the male lifespan by 8% (p = 0.03).

Asta was fed at 1840 ± 520 (9) ppm and Mec at 544 ± 48 (9) ppm, stated as mean ± SE (n ) of independent diet preparations.

Both were started at 12 months of age.

The 90th percentile lifespan for both treatments was extended in absolute value by 6% in males, but neither was significant by the Wang–Allison test.

1 Like

Five other new agents were also tested as follows: fisetin, SG1002 (hydrogen sulfide donor), dimethyl fumarate, mycophenolic acid, and 4-phenylbutyrate. None of these increased lifespan significantly at the dose and method of administration tested in either sex.

Amounts of dimethyl fumarate in the diet averaged 35% of the target dose, which may explain the absence of lifespan effects.

Body weight was not significantly affected in males by any of the test agents. Late life weights were lower in females fed Asta and Mec, but lifespan was not significantly affected in these females. The male-specific lifespan benefits from Asta and Mec may provide insights into sex-specific aspects of aging.

1 Like

What is this (ITP study) dosage for a person? 12mg/day is the normal dose that is already expensive.

3 Likes

They seem to have had this issue for Asta also…

Despite the fact that the average diet contained 1840 ppm Asta (only 46% of the target), median lifespans of male UM-HET3 mice were significantly improved.

Ha, you think 12mg/day is expensive! The ITP was targeting 4,000ppm Astaxanthin in the diet, but it sounds like (not clear why, yet to read the paper), the average diet got only about half that.

4,000ppm equates to about 3.5 grams per day human dosing, and 1840ppm about half that… see this post: Astaxanthin: A Potential Treatment in Disease and Aging, Lifespan Increase - #9 by RapAdmin

Extremely expensive at current pricing levels. (like $2K to $4K per month expensive). Astaxanthin, Natural vs. Synthetic - Your Thoughts?

3 Likes

Thanks. I guess I won’t get that 10% life extension.

2 Likes

Seems like a great business opportunity and hopefully we will see new offerings pop up within not too long time frame (doubt it is actually too expensive if produced at scale, even if quality controlled)

1 Like

Issues to be aware of with Astaxanthin:

5 Likes

I think I will continue taking 10-12 mg of NOW Astaxanthin daily. However, I don’t think Meclizine is worth it due to the side effects. The other ITP compounds that were tested and fell flat are off my list.

The only one I was taking was fisetin. Bye bye Fisetin…

3 Likes

I’d still keep DMF as something to keep and eye on, hopefully they re-do it with enough actual compound given to the mice

A person on twitter responded to my Astaxanthin post with this - has anyone dove deep into this research?

I’ve heard that Astaxanthin can affect DHT levels, similar to 5ar inhibitors. Obviously not everyone will be onboard for lowering DHT:

Seems to be some basis for this belief:

and

ConsumerLab Response:

Astaxanthin can increase testosterone levels in men by blocking its conversion to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Since testosterone can also be converted by the body to estradiol, an estrogen hormone that, in excess, can lead to breast enlargement in men (gynecomastia), concern has been raised that astaxanthin may indirectly increase the risk of gynecomastia by increasing testosterone levels. However, there is no evidence that taking astaxanthin increases levels of estradiol or the risk of breast enlargement.

2 Likes

Astaxanthin is a potent 5ar inhibitor in vitro. In vivo is another story…

1 Like

Natural astaxanthin is too expensive, so I plan to take BASF or DSM’s synthetic astaxanthin for feeding fish, which is very cheap. What are everyone’s opinions?

Synthetic astaxanthin is a mix of several additionaly isomers which may not occur in the algae source.

1 Like

I’d love to hear more on this., @dhm . Thank you.

Read this thread, and the documents included in it: Astaxanthin, Natural vs. Synthetic - Your Thoughts?

Thank you, @RapAdmin , but I both read this and commented on it over time. I was really looking to hear what the proportion of isomers and chiral “siblings” of astaxanthin was, and if it was simply right-handed” vs “left-handed” or is there more complex chirality. I’m curious if the naturally occur al chiral product is the one which causes longevity, or is the reason the synthetic works is due to a non-natural chiral sibling or one of the other isomers. I dont think I saw this in the papers cited, although one showed the serum proportions of different isomers without regard to longevity (or chirality).

I looked for research grade astaxanthin and it was very expensive versus the algae version. Others have found the synthetic fish coloring to be relatively cheap (1kg or more). So what am I missing versus the “synthetic fish coloring”? — how does it differ from research grade?

1 Like

You’ve identified good questions… and I’m afraid I don’t know the answers. I’m not even sure if all the various “synthetic” versions of astaxanthin are identical molecules, or slight variations… Hopefully we can dig up some of the answers to this questions.

3 Likes

I’m taking 12mg daily of the “natural” astaxanthin. Like virtually everything in the longevity space, I’m likely reducing my longevity because of the stress of worrying that the supplements I’m taking for longevity are actually hurting my longevity, even if they are actually helping my longevity….

6 Likes