Astaxanthin: A Potential Treatment in Disease and Aging, Lifespan Increase

Astaxnathin and AMPK Signaling

The effect of the antioxidant astaxanthin on AMPK signaling has not been extensively studied. However, the findings from the few studies that have been reported indicate that astaxanthin acts as a positive AMPK regulator. Specifically, astaxanthin was observed to inhibit lipogenesis and fat accumulation in the liver and to inhibit hepatic apoptosis in oleic acid-induced hepatic steatosis [88]. Astaxanthin’s anti-steatotic properties are attributed to its ability to activate AMPK signaling, as reflected by the observed increase in the ratio of phosphorylated vs unphosphorylated AMPK (p-AMPK/AMPK). Astaxanthin-induced AMPK activation was found to negatively regulate lipogenesis and promote fatty acid oxidation [88]. Furthermore, it has been shown that the intake of esterified astaxanthin that was extracted from Haematococcus pluvialis increases the running time of mice to exhaustion as a result of the increased level of total AMPK in the skeletal muscle [89]. The fact that the activation of AMPK promotes autophagy via mTOR inhibition and direct activation of the ULK1 complex suggests that astaxanthin may modulate the induction of autophagy.

7 Likes

@Maveric78

Conclusions: Supplementation with 12 mg⋅day-1 astaxanthin for 7 days provided an ergogenic benefit to 40 km cycling time trial performance in recreationally trained male cyclists and enhanced whole-body fat oxidation rates in the final stages of this endurance-type performance event.

and

5 Likes

what about the synthetic which is much more affordable vs natural as i read on internet.
’ Is all astaxanthin the same?
Synthetic Astaxanthin. While their names might be the same, these two ingredients couldn’t be more different. Synthetic astaxanthin makes up more than 99% of the global astaxanthin market, which is hardly surprising considering it is much cheaper and easier to produce than natural astaxanthin.Feb 16, 2021’

what do you pay for something that worked :?

yes… see this thread Astaxanthin, Natural vs. Synthetic - Your Thoughts?

Hi Dan, Synthetic astaxanthin is petrochemically sourced and I don’t think this source has been approved for human consumption by regulatory bodies? I think it’s most often used for fish farm feeds, to give the red color in salmon and shrimp. Natural astaxanthin is usually sourced from bluegreen or microalgae and it’s commonly thought to deliver higher quality muscle and skeletal growth in the farmed fish. Of course, fish in the wild only get natural astaxanthin. As I understand it, synthetic astaxanthin has been designed to be as close as possible to the natural astaxanthin compound.

1 Like

That may be true for some types of astaxanthin, but its not true for many. See this thread on Synthetic astaxanthin. Its actually the synthetic astaxanthin that was used in the National Instiatutes of Health ITP studies and that had a 12% median lifespan improvement benefit. ( so it seems at least some synthetic astaxanthin may be better than natural, and its a fraction of the cost of the natural stuff).

See details here: Astaxanthin, Natural vs. Synthetic - Your Thoughts?

2 Likes

Yes, I’m familiar with the ITP study using synthetic astaxanthin, so it’s clearly efficacious.

However, that does not mean it’s better than natural astaxanthin.

No ITP trials have yet been done on the natural version. It would be interesting to see the ITP using natural astaxanthin in a trial to see if it’s better or worse? I suspect both compounds will have very similar results.

The synthetic version is sourced from ancient organic life converted over millions of years into convenient, but unsustainable, fossil fuels. The other is “farmed” from natural organisms, and that is unfortunately a little more costly than the massively subsidized oil industries.

How much longer will petro-chemical sourced products be a viable and ethical option? It’s only cheaper because it’s a byproduct of the mass production and processes that relate to our addiction to fossel fuels.

We cannot always look at “cheaper” just from the point of view of the shelf price at Amazon.

Keep in mind that natural astaxanthin is one of the few non-perscription products, approved for human consumption, that increased longevity in the ITP studies.

Unlike rapamycin, this means we can all get access to it.

Overall, if the ITP study holds up in humans, then the 9% increase in longevity is amazing, and I think it’s worth paying the relatively small differential for a sustainable natural product.

4 Likes

A number of the people on this thread appear to have been taking astaxanthin for some time (many years, in some cases). Have you noticed benefits from taking it? Or are you taking it because the ITP showed it prolongs mice lives but don’t sense any direct benefits (even if there might be benefits occurring)? As I explain below, I am asking because I am seriously considering taking it.

o. less sun damage (I believe marathon runners used to take it)? — this seems like it could be easy to prove assuming it doesn’t bioaccumulate substantially. And this is the main reason I am interested.

o. Fights atherosclerosis? No idea how to prove this — change in CAC scores???

o. Fights inflammation — maybe feeling of sore joints when on/off it?

o. Improves cognitive function — I’ve seen some on this forum say something to the tune of “I felt sharper” on a variety of supplements/drugs.

o. Improves vision: vision test could be easy. More easily reading small print, etc.

o. Improves male fertility (this is a negative side effect because I don’t need another tuition payment) — I’m not sure I want to test this.

Etc.

Seriously, this list of benefits reads like an ad for longevity/health snake oil.

I am curious if anyone has “sensed” positive changes in their health from astaxanthin? (With the understanding that most people here are taking many supplements per day — including weekly/biweekly Rapamycin — and wouldn’t necessarily know which supplement caused the benefit).

It seems though that there are many supplements discussed (not just here: everywhere) and then get “popular” and many people take it and discuss it. Then after some time talk dies down and there are few mentions of it at all. It seems to have fallen off many people’s “stacks”. Or maybe I’m being unfair.

I just ran across astaxanthin (I apologize that I appear to be 6-12 months behind the pack here in most things). I am seriously considering taking it (in a 4-12mg pill dose) because I plan to do a great deal of hiking this summer and don’t want the sun damage (and don’t feel like night hiking as it doesn’t work in my schedule most days). I came to this from hearing marathon runners take it for sun exposure, and there seem to be basically no side effects at 4-12mg daily so low risk/reward for my goal. Also then I started seeing the myriad of benefits listed, albeit with more tenuous research certainty. I’m not yet taking Rapamycin (but might order it this summer) so enhancing MTOR on inhibition days isn’t yet an issue although I plan several four-day fasts which might overlap.

Also, I prefer to keep my “stack” more minimal — not rigid, but “economical”. For instance, I took GlyNAC for 9 months, didn’t sense any changes, and just this last week ditched the NAC (but kept the glycine) — maybe there were positive changes but none that I could tell (someone mentioned that I may not yet be old enough to benefit; also I read a Chinese paper [enough said] that suggested NAC caused accelerated knee osteoarthritis). Perhaps this is a bad policy?

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

1 Like

I take astaxanthin because there appears to be evidence that it has merit. However, i have no personal data i can say are caused by it.

1 Like

I notice nothing from astaxanthin, apart from less sun burn and more easy tanning. But, that is enough for me to continue with it.

4 Likes

Thank you, @GoldenCB — that’s definitely enough for me to start it.

1 Like

My suggestions -

1. Wear a wide-brimmed hat, like a Tilley hat, long sleeves, and long pants.
  2. Apply something like this to your face

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vitamin-C-Serum-Plus-Skin-Clearing-Serum-Acne-Face-Treatment-Clear-1oz/492395710

I started using the above to improve skin tone and texture, but it had the added impact of greatly reducing how tan I get when outdoors. Could also use it on your hands I suppose, but I use just a straight niacinamide solution for that.

I do a six hour hike in east San Diego county once/week plus walk around the neighborhood 2-3x/week for 3 hours. It used to be that I had a deep tan most of the time. But applying the above once/day greatly reduced it. Kind of disappointed, actually.

Of course, if you hike in a t-shirt and shorts, then maybe astaxthanin is the better whole-body solution.

3 Likes

I actually worked with BioAstin as a demo person in SoCal about 15 years ago… This is one of the best Astaxanthin products on the market, made by Nutrex Hawaii… stellar company.
Took it daily for a couple of years, based on faith and the ample research very well synthesized and presented in their marketing materials … I noticed zero benefits. Which doesn’t mean that it didn’t do “something” invisible and beneficial. As it is with many of the supplements. Didn’t continue beyond 2 year mark, but like the presence of 2 mg Astaxanthin in the Krill Oil that I currently take.

3 Likes

Less inflamation and less sumburn is what i notice

1 Like

I bought a pack yesterday and started with 4mg per day (start slow and then ramp toward 12). I’ll let you know of any impacts either way.

125 degrees barely warms it. Guys don’t be nuts thinking that raw fish, or raw meat is good for you. oven bake, pan sir, or barbecue it to a medium well done and it still has all the benefits in it. Put it in the preheated oven at 375-400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, take it out and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. Best food, next to organic steak. Make sure to consume ONLY wild caught, as the farm raised one is simply not suited for human consumption (i.e. has absolutely no health benefits other than calories it provides). Wild caught fish in general, but salmon and trout more specifically should be rated as medicine, not just food.

3 Likes

Exactly my experience with Astaxanthin, used it for about six months and had ZERO benefits. And, I always discontinue using the supplements that I feel no benefit from, no matter the studies and research done on them. My theory is simple, If I’m going to permanently use a supplement I have to feel the benefits. I don’t believe in the theory “it could be doing some good” but you may not feel it. As an example, I feel positive effect of Rapa right away starting with the day i take it. Feel good results with Niacin right away, same with a good b-complex. Feel benefits of D3 combined with k2 same day. Last couple days I seem to be feeling good on metformin also. I had started a year ago and was getting weak and nauseated but my mistake seems to have been the fact i was taking it in an empty stomach in the morning, (was lazy to take with food, plus i usually take all my supplement in the morning). So Astaxanthin/Curcumin/Pine bark/Vitamin A/Vitamin E/Resveratrol/Olive leaf Extract and far too many to list here I put them in the bucket of snake oil lol.
BTW, 10-30 minutes (the longer the merrier) dive into ocean water per day is obsoletely gold for health also(for those that are blessed to be living near it). And the colder the water the better, i.e. January swim is best (of course not for too long 3-5 minutes is plenty in winter).
BTW, my theory is this, you NEVER hear about ocean creatures (all inclusive) to have any diseases at all. While land animals (wild and domesticated) they all catch certain diseases ocean ones have never been recorded to have any diseases (other than if affected by man-made pollution in certain areas). Plus, all land animals (including humans) can be fat, can have huge belly (i.e. Hiena, elephant, caws, some humans lol etc…) whereas marine animals even if they are fat they are slim (if it makes sense). A killer whale as an example, all it is, it’s a big ball of fat, yet they look slim and physically fit to the extreme lol.

2 Likes

Not splitting hairs, common dude, less sunburn, easy tanning, seriously? Should we start listing as benefits wider smiles, broader shoulders, over 6 feet tall, blonde hair etc. lol. Are you kidding me…You get less sunburn because you are using sun lotion, and if you stay in the sun you will get a tan, sometimes less, sometimes more depending in certain things none of which have anything to do with Astaxanthin. less sunburn, and more tanning is so subjective, and dependent in so many factors (mainly how sunny and hot it is) that it MUST never be considered as gauges for supplements.

It’s pretty obvious when you’re fair skinned whether something is helping you avoid burning actually.

Also, I’ve had anecdotes from family that I was too pale. They commented my complexion looked healthier after I had been taking astaxanthin for a while.

When I’m confronted with a supplement, that:

1. has strong research in animal models, and
  2. seems to improve appearance
  3. May reduce the damage from UVB

I’m likely to take it. Appearance may not be a perfect indicator of health and youth, but it’s not a bad one.

The reduction of damage from UVB is an extremely good thing for the reduction of skin aging. It would not surprise me at all if there was a long term cosmetic effect.

In general, don’t be so quick to judge…

3 Likes

I didn’t judge, my point is and was certain benefits are hard to measure and can be derived from many other factors/things/supplements and can also be confused with certain mood/condition swings which are natural in everyday life. My way of testing a never tried supplement is this: Stay 3-4 days supplement free, nothing at all, then the 4th/5th day take that certain new supplement only (no other supplements) for about 5-10 days and carefully look into any changes on how you feel. If nothing at all, scrap it, if a bit of positive change-keep it for a while, if big change (i.e rapa and many others) keep taking it for longer periods, possible for life (always do rest periods of one-two week every couple months, or couple days every week/couple weeks. I am a very pragmatic dude and will listen to everybody and read anything, and try (with caution) almost anything (excluding hard drugs), but I am definitely my own man, and take no human word as true, unless I, myself have come to that conclusion. I also have noted that i have an autoimmune condition ( a blessing and a curse) which allows me to determine very FAST what is good and what is no good for me(this is the blessing part). People that don’t have such condition (on the other hand) have much harder time in general to gauge the benefits of certain supplements/foods/drinks. As such they can easily be mistaken with regards to why they are feeling a certain way, and think that is result of this supplement or that food etc. BTW, many things I try have actually somewhat/barely noticeable negative effects. The good thing about Axanthin was that it had absolutely nothing, bad or good, which in itself is better that i.e. curcumin, or pine bark, or some other stuff I tried. Anyway, continue it as you wish, and most likely than not you will not get any negative effects, and perhaps (big perhaps) you might get some positive effect (since as i said i couldn’t see anything negative at all)

1 Like