Astaxanthin: A Potential Treatment in Disease and Aging, Lifespan Increase

My suggestions -

1. Wear a wide-brimmed hat, like a Tilley hat, long sleeves, and long pants.
  2. Apply something like this to your face

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vitamin-C-Serum-Plus-Skin-Clearing-Serum-Acne-Face-Treatment-Clear-1oz/492395710

I started using the above to improve skin tone and texture, but it had the added impact of greatly reducing how tan I get when outdoors. Could also use it on your hands I suppose, but I use just a straight niacinamide solution for that.

I do a six hour hike in east San Diego county once/week plus walk around the neighborhood 2-3x/week for 3 hours. It used to be that I had a deep tan most of the time. But applying the above once/day greatly reduced it. Kind of disappointed, actually.

Of course, if you hike in a t-shirt and shorts, then maybe astaxthanin is the better whole-body solution.

3 Likes

I actually worked with BioAstin as a demo person in SoCal about 15 years agoā€¦ This is one of the best Astaxanthin products on the market, made by Nutrex Hawaiiā€¦ stellar company.
Took it daily for a couple of years, based on faith and the ample research very well synthesized and presented in their marketing materials ā€¦ I noticed zero benefits. Which doesnā€™t mean that it didnā€™t do ā€œsomethingā€ invisible and beneficial. As it is with many of the supplements. Didnā€™t continue beyond 2 year mark, but like the presence of 2 mg Astaxanthin in the Krill Oil that I currently take.

3 Likes

Less inflamation and less sumburn is what i notice

1 Like

I bought a pack yesterday and started with 4mg per day (start slow and then ramp toward 12). Iā€™ll let you know of any impacts either way.

125 degrees barely warms it. Guys donā€™t be nuts thinking that raw fish, or raw meat is good for you. oven bake, pan sir, or barbecue it to a medium well done and it still has all the benefits in it. Put it in the preheated oven at 375-400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, take it out and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. Best food, next to organic steak. Make sure to consume ONLY wild caught, as the farm raised one is simply not suited for human consumption (i.e. has absolutely no health benefits other than calories it provides). Wild caught fish in general, but salmon and trout more specifically should be rated as medicine, not just food.

3 Likes

Exactly my experience with Astaxanthin, used it for about six months and had ZERO benefits. And, I always discontinue using the supplements that I feel no benefit from, no matter the studies and research done on them. My theory is simple, If Iā€™m going to permanently use a supplement I have to feel the benefits. I donā€™t believe in the theory ā€œit could be doing some goodā€ but you may not feel it. As an example, I feel positive effect of Rapa right away starting with the day i take it. Feel good results with Niacin right away, same with a good b-complex. Feel benefits of D3 combined with k2 same day. Last couple days I seem to be feeling good on metformin also. I had started a year ago and was getting weak and nauseated but my mistake seems to have been the fact i was taking it in an empty stomach in the morning, (was lazy to take with food, plus i usually take all my supplement in the morning). So Astaxanthin/Curcumin/Pine bark/Vitamin A/Vitamin E/Resveratrol/Olive leaf Extract and far too many to list here I put them in the bucket of snake oil lol.
BTW, 10-30 minutes (the longer the merrier) dive into ocean water per day is obsoletely gold for health also(for those that are blessed to be living near it). And the colder the water the better, i.e. January swim is best (of course not for too long 3-5 minutes is plenty in winter).
BTW, my theory is this, you NEVER hear about ocean creatures (all inclusive) to have any diseases at all. While land animals (wild and domesticated) they all catch certain diseases ocean ones have never been recorded to have any diseases (other than if affected by man-made pollution in certain areas). Plus, all land animals (including humans) can be fat, can have huge belly (i.e. Hiena, elephant, caws, some humans lol etcā€¦) whereas marine animals even if they are fat they are slim (if it makes sense). A killer whale as an example, all it is, itā€™s a big ball of fat, yet they look slim and physically fit to the extreme lol.

2 Likes

Not splitting hairs, common dude, less sunburn, easy tanning, seriously? Should we start listing as benefits wider smiles, broader shoulders, over 6 feet tall, blonde hair etc. lol. Are you kidding meā€¦You get less sunburn because you are using sun lotion, and if you stay in the sun you will get a tan, sometimes less, sometimes more depending in certain things none of which have anything to do with Astaxanthin. less sunburn, and more tanning is so subjective, and dependent in so many factors (mainly how sunny and hot it is) that it MUST never be considered as gauges for supplements.

Itā€™s pretty obvious when youā€™re fair skinned whether something is helping you avoid burning actually.

Also, Iā€™ve had anecdotes from family that I was too pale. They commented my complexion looked healthier after I had been taking astaxanthin for a while.

When Iā€™m confronted with a supplement, that:

1. has strong research in animal models, and
  2. seems to improve appearance
  3. May reduce the damage from UVB

Iā€™m likely to take it. Appearance may not be a perfect indicator of health and youth, but itā€™s not a bad one.

The reduction of damage from UVB is an extremely good thing for the reduction of skin aging. It would not surprise me at all if there was a long term cosmetic effect.

In general, donā€™t be so quick to judgeā€¦

3 Likes

I didnā€™t judge, my point is and was certain benefits are hard to measure and can be derived from many other factors/things/supplements and can also be confused with certain mood/condition swings which are natural in everyday life. My way of testing a never tried supplement is this: Stay 3-4 days supplement free, nothing at all, then the 4th/5th day take that certain new supplement only (no other supplements) for about 5-10 days and carefully look into any changes on how you feel. If nothing at all, scrap it, if a bit of positive change-keep it for a while, if big change (i.e rapa and many others) keep taking it for longer periods, possible for life (always do rest periods of one-two week every couple months, or couple days every week/couple weeks. I am a very pragmatic dude and will listen to everybody and read anything, and try (with caution) almost anything (excluding hard drugs), but I am definitely my own man, and take no human word as true, unless I, myself have come to that conclusion. I also have noted that i have an autoimmune condition ( a blessing and a curse) which allows me to determine very FAST what is good and what is no good for me(this is the blessing part). People that donā€™t have such condition (on the other hand) have much harder time in general to gauge the benefits of certain supplements/foods/drinks. As such they can easily be mistaken with regards to why they are feeling a certain way, and think that is result of this supplement or that food etc. BTW, many things I try have actually somewhat/barely noticeable negative effects. The good thing about Axanthin was that it had absolutely nothing, bad or good, which in itself is better that i.e. curcumin, or pine bark, or some other stuff I tried. Anyway, continue it as you wish, and most likely than not you will not get any negative effects, and perhaps (big perhaps) you might get some positive effect (since as i said i couldnā€™t see anything negative at all)

1 Like

Agreed on ocean dipping - in theory, lol
I live in Southern Cali, but I cannot stand the temperature of the oceanā€¦ many ppl I know who grew up here (which I didnā€™t) are fine with itā€¦ Enjoy!

1 Like

Well, fair-haired boy, I predict that sometime in the future you will regret all of those hours in the sun. The very thing you think is making you look better is aging your skin prematurely regardless of astaxanthin or sunscreen. So, yeah, it might make you look better now, but maybe make you look older later.
ā€œBut tanning can cause photoaging and predispose you to skin cancer.ā€
ā€œ7 Common Tanning and Sun Exposure Myths, Bustedā€

2 Likes

Iā€™m not saying sun is good for you. Itā€™s been shown pretty clearly to age the skin. Perhaps that was unclear. I think a certain amount of sun exposure is inevitable. I live an active lifestyle, have 2 kids, Iā€™m going to spend time outside.

The goal is to minimize the damage occurring the (inevitable) sun exposure, not to seek out a ā€œgood looking tanā€.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been taking astaxanthin for years. Itā€™s great for keeping inflammation low, cholesterol levels in check and also delaying the rate at your skins burns when exposed to ultraviolet rays. Itā€™s basically an internal sunscreen. The algae in the ocean create astaxanthin in times of dire need, such when the water tide is low, it prevents them from dying from the sun.

Astaxanthin is also shown to activate the longevity gene ā€œfox03ā€ gene. This gene helps delay aging and is found in lots of centenarians. We either have the good version or the bad version that can actually make us age faster.
According to 23andme (genetic testing site) I have the non longevity fox03 version so I donā€™t have the longevity protectionā€¦ in fact the version I have can make me age quicker if I donā€™t take steps to delay by eating healthy, Rapamycin etc. so I hope astaxanthin activates that gene for me :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Any good source to read on this?

Emerging data now suggest that ASX can modulate Nrf2, FOXO3, Sirt1, and Klotho proteins that are linked to longevity.

ā€œAll of us have the FOXO3 gene, which protects against aging in humans,ā€ said Dr. Bradley Willcox, MD, Professor and Director of Research at the Department of Geriatric Medicine, JABSOM, and Principal Investigator of the National Institutes of Health-funded Kuakini HawaiŹ»i Lifespan and Healthspan Studies. ā€œBut about one in three persons carry a version of the FOXO3 gene that is associated with longevity. By activating the FOXO3 gene common in all humans, we can make it act like the ā€œlongevityā€ version. Through this research, we have shown that Astaxanthin ā€œactivatesā€ the FOXO3 gene,ā€ said Willcox.

Multiple animal studies have demonstrated that Astaxanthin reduces inflammation, heart and liver damage, cholesterol levels, and risk of stroke. In humans, Astaxanthin also has been shown to lower inflammation and triglycerides. But this study is a first.

ā€œThis preliminary study was the first of its kind to test the potential of Astaxanthin to activate the FOXO3 gene in mammals,ā€ said Dr. Richard Allsopp, PhD, Associate Professor, and researcher with the JABSOM Institute of Biogenesis Research.

ā€œWe found a nearly 90% increase in the activation of the FOXO3 ā€œLongevity Geneā€ in the mice fed the higher dose of the Astaxanthin compound CDX-085,ā€ said Dr. Allsopp.

related:

Iā€™ll look for more links when home

6 Likes

Iā€™ve got 23&me but not sure where to look up that gene variant. Tips?

1 Like

I used to suffer from severe dry eyes due to staring at my monitor all day long. I couldnā€™t even focus on the screen for more than five minutes without needing to moisturize my eyes. Eventually, I got blue light filter glasses, which provided some relief. I tried numerous supplements that were supposed to help, but despite trying them for months or even years, none of them worked. However, at the beginning of 2022, I started taking 12mg of astaxanthin daily. After four months of consistent use, my dry eye issue significantly improved and continued to get better over time. I was so impressed that I increased my dosage to over 30mg per day, which practically resolved my dry eye problem. If it werenā€™t so expensive, I would take a gram of this amazing stuff, which I consider to be a magic remedy for eye health. Additionally, considering the positive results of the ITPs study on male miceā€™s lifespan extension, itā€™s a no-brainer to include astaxanthin in your supplement stack.

3 Likes

You have to upload the 23andme raw data that you can download from their site to a 3rd party website such as Genomelink which will translate your raw dna data. It should show data such as your good genes, genes that protect you and lower risk of certain diseases, bad genes such as risk of certain cancers, heart disease etc. very detailed information.

2 Likes

Ericross2, I took astaxanthin 12 mg daily for about a year and noticed nothing in terms of strength, energy, eyesight, etc. So, in order to keep my supplement list reasonable I eliminated it. On a long-term basis I suppose it could be very beneficial, but if I add it back I want to be able to eliminate something in itā€™s place and Iā€™m not sure what that ā€œsomethingā€ is.

With hiking (8-10 miles once weekly, different locations) I use a very lightweight broad-brimmed hat, full-length polyester weave light weight slacks, and lightweight polyester weave t-shirt. These help wick moisture away from the body. I carry a very lightweight windbreaker for very dense shrubbery. I like the idea of a long-sleeve t-shirt mentioned by Lens5742 and may buy one. For face, neck, and arms Olay Complete (15 spf ) works well for me. Itā€™s messy to apply, but has a dry feeling after about 10 to 15 minutes. It keeps that dry feeling for me all day as long as I donā€™t start sweating. Moisture will bring back itā€™s slippery feeling. Well, I suppose this is a bit more complicated than taking astaxanthin, but Iā€™m used to it.

4 Likes

Much appreciated. Iā€™m thinking even gloves as I have vitiligo on my hands and face, and given Iā€™m Lilly white in the winter, when I get sun in the summer it is visible. I wasnā€™t winning any modeling contracts before, but Iā€™d rather not see it if possible. I thought more sun prevention is better. Long sleeves? ā€” check. But stil figuring out hands and face. Conductor gloves and a Mexican wrestling mask are the only addition that comes to mind, other than not venturing out in the sun and upping my vitamin d dose.

1 Like