Anyone using - Trehalose? Autophagy by rapamycin and trehalose

The neuroprotective effect of autophagy activation by rapamycin and trehalose was studied in a mouse model of Parkinson’s disease (PD) induced by neurotoxin 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP). Both rapamycin (10 mg/kg/day, 7 days) and trehalose (2% in drinking water, 7 days) increased the expression of LC3-II (a marker of autophagy activation) in the frontal cortex and striatum of normal C57Bl/6J mice, with signs of an additive effect. Autophagy stimulation in the striatum was confirmed by a lysosomal osmotic test. In the model of MPTP-induced PD, the two drugs were applied starting from the 2nd day after subchronic daily MPTP administration (20 mg/kg/day, 4 days). …

Thus, the autophagy activation through different pathways by the combination of rapamycin and trehalose reverses both neuronal dopaminergic and behavioral deficits in vivo and seems to be a promising therapy for PD-like pathology.

3 Likes

FWIW

There is another thread on this site about trehalose, not with rapamycin.

I have been using trehalose in coffee{coffee is the delivey vehicle] with other added supplements in the coffee.

Review, if you have not seen/read.

2 Likes

Thank you. I do a lot of searching on Google Scholar, but frankly, it never occurred to me to pair trehalose and rapamycin.

1 Like

Maybe I will dump a bunch of trehalose into my grapefruit juice before I dose with rapamycin.
Seriously, I am going to do it.

3 Likes

I decided to get some, can’t comment on any health benefits yet but I highly recommend from a culinary standpoint: trehalose adds the richness of sucrose (table sugar) to food without the sweetness

1 Like

Interesting that it is poorly absorbed taken orally but yet in the mice study it was orally ingested through their drinking water.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a source for Lactotrehalose?