Anyone trying something a little more edgy?

Personally I don’t take melatonin before I go to bed unless it is time release. That is because I think there is a feedback system via the SCN which reduces endogenous production of pineal melatonin if serum levels are higher.

Hence the additional melatonin you take before going to sleep helps you get to sleep, but actually may cause you to wake earlier because less melatonin is going into the cerebrospinal fluid.

Last night I slept for 4 hours before I took any melatonin. The melatonin then assisted me in getting another two hours before 6am. I may have been able to get additional sleep without the melatonin, but
a) I want to take melatonin for other reasons
b) I want to get as much sleep into the shortest possible timescale. I do the school run during the school week which really needs me to up and about at 6am.

4 Likes

A few years ago I developed “Jumper’s Knee” in my right knee.
While I was overseas I went to a sports doctor who treated it with about 5 shots of PRP.
The following year I developed Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot. So more PRP in the foot (and, despite anaesthetic, it hurt like hell!). Both treatments were very successful and I was able to return to running.
In fact, I noticed that a painful shoulder also healed itself at the same time as the knee injections, so I think there is some systemic effect going on.
I believe PRP has obvious rejuvenation properties. I tried to get the doc to inject me with some when uninjured but he wouldn’t.
I found 1 paper on the effects of PRP injection into muscle.
One of these days I’m going to buy a centrifuge and a few bits and pieces and do it myself. Is that “edgy”? (Or just stupid!)

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing @DrT - have you any information about whether this might work in children with severs?

Not sure what you mean by “severs”?

what would be the benefit of such high dose?

Ther are several posting on this forum about melatonin.
Link below is a copy of Russel Reiter professional medical book on melatonin{this is not the consumer book)

Review Frank Shallenberger slide presentation and a paper/article on the subject.

3-3-Shallenberger-High-Dose-Melatonin-Therapy-An-Ideal-Adjuvant(1).pdf (311.3 KB)

Melatonin-article-Shallenberger.pdf (2.5 MB)

Shallenberger recommends Reiter 180mg{yes, 180mg] per day dose, Reiter has been taking the dose for decades.

Russel J.Reiter {review his background] in my view he is the “Melatonin Master” in the research/medical field.

4 Likes

thx. will have a look. never heard before about melatonin high doses being good…

I am probably the heaviest user of melatonin on the forum. Almost always between midnight and 6am. I have almost hit a gram on some nights.

Ignoring the gabaergic aspect serum melatonin tops up mitochondrial melatonin. It also is argued to assist with autophagy.

1 Like

Interesting. In Europe in some countries it is still considered medicine, it is still prescription over 0,44mg… that is why it is so unbelievable that someone would take 180mg… it seems interesting, but it would be impossible for me to import it, it would be confiscated by customs. Most that i can get is 5mg pills. Although I am still perplexed by 180mg… most of the studies quoted in above use far less than that…

Contact Russel Reiter and ask

Contact
Phone number: 210-567-3859

email reiter@uthscsa.edu

2 Likes

I just downloaded his book on my kindle… maybe first some info :sweat_smile:

Thank you for the comprehensive information. This is very helpful. My WBC has teetered on the very low end of normal at my current 24 mg every other week dose so perhaps switching the dose to 12 mg every week would reduce my WBC to below normal levels. Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. Your information is extremely helpful.

1 Like

Wow that’s high. What are your sleep stats like?

The regulatory position is not determined in a seriously rational manner.

Thanks RapAdmin. This is very helpful.

@DrT - my daughter suffers from Sever’s disease. Similar symptoms to plantar fasciitis but different cause.

I was wondering if PRP might help in this context too….

I’m guessing that it probably would, as PRP is anti-inflammatory.
However, that’s not medical advice. You should ask your daughter’s doctor if they would consider it. You could also consult a podiatrist. Don’t be afraid to seek a second opinion.

3 Likes

I measured my CRP level for the first time - it’s less than 3. Wondering why there’s no an exact number. Is it important to know the exact number or “less than” is considered good enough?

Ash Jogalekar

I actually think more rigorous self-experimentation should be encouraged and publicized. It’s startling to realize how many early drugs were discovered through self experimentation, even using shoddy controls.

1 Like

It would help to know the units. I wonder also if the result was <0.3 rather than <3?