Any questions to ask Brad Stanfield?

Next week in the Rapamycin Master Series podcast I will interview the medical doctor Brad Stanfield. He is currently in the process of crowdfunding a important clinical trial to explore if Rapamycin improves muscle performance in older adults. Are there any questions you want me to ask him?

Here is video clip in which he explains more about the trial

6 Likes

I don’t want to sound negative, but it doesn’t seem like he has collected much in the way of funding. Does he expect this study to ever happen?

4 Likes
  1. Does he prescribe Rapamycin to his patients? What dosage? Weekly or bi-weekly?
  2. Which drugs does he prescribe for longevity?
  3. What does he do for longevity - supplements, drugs, interventions?
1 Like

I would ask him how to obtain Rapamycin in New Zealand.

1 Like

As would I. Would be interested to hear if he prescribes it in his practice.

1 Like

Full details on the study here: Rapamycin Exercise Study Moves Forward: Dr. Brad Stanfield's Study Registered in NZ

1 Like

How does he find balancing objectivity and financial considerations when promoting a Youtube channel? Does he receive any pressure not to criticise products such as Resveratrol or NMN.

Has he factored potential fat loss from Rapamycin into his methodology for the trial? An individual with lower body fat will perform better in a weight bearing exercise… but may also get less ‘training effect’ since they’re performing less total work per set.

If he had a patient who was (independently) taking weekly Rapamune and seeing elevated A1C and ApoB what would be his advice?

2 Likes

I think we already know the answers to these questions Chris:

1. No
  2. None (Metformin for diabetics)
  3. Creatine, collagen, Vitamin D etc (all listed on his website)
2 Likes

Yeah. He’s a pretty open book. Not sure if there’s a lot of information he can provide that he hasn’t reported in his videos.

3 Likes

@KarlT I think it’s good that you challenge this. One problem with rapamycin trials in the “longevity” field is that the interest is not that high. Venture capitalist don’t like it because there is no big money to earn in it. Other institutions are affraid to invest because of its immunosuppressive properties. If we look at the longevity community it’s still not that many who takes it even if the numbers are growing. In general many people don’t donate to trials. It’s little bit a new area to crowdfund trials. I know he has a goal to get the trial funded this year. I will try to do what I can to help out there because this is one step which can open up other trials and eventually make the FDA approve its use for other types of treatment and prevention. One thing that I have touched little bit before is that we as a longevity community need to get better organized. That way we can do such much more together and move the longevity field forward. By the way, do you have any thoughts on how Brad could get his trial funded faster? What would you do if you were in his shoes?

@DeStrider

1. I know he is not taking or prescribing Rapamycin yet. I will ask him what type of data he wants to see before he starts taking it himself but also prescribe it to others off label.
  2. and 3) :+1:

@HappyFunBall Don’t we have in the FAQ how to get Rapamycin in New Zealand, @RapAdmin?

@dhannyboyd He is not yet prescribing Rapamycin but will ask him what data he would like to see for him to start prescribing it :+1:

@Maveric78 Great questions!

2 Likes

See this thread: Rapamycin Users in New Zealand or Australia?

2 Likes

Dr Stanfield suggested one should save money and stop buying spermidine supplements because 15mg/day did not affect spermidine levels in plasma. His opinion was based on this study: Nutrients | Free Full-Text | High-Dose Spermidine Supplementation Does Not Increase Spermidine Levels in Blood Plasma and Saliva of Healthy Adults: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Pharmacokinetic and Metabolomic Study . However, that study also states:

“Compared with a placebo, spermidine supplementation significantly increased spermine levels in the plasma, but it did not affect spermidine or putrescine levels. No effect on salivary polyamine concentrations was observed. (4) Conclusions: This study’s results suggest that dietary spermidine is presystemically converted into spermine, which then enters systemic circulation.”

“we postulate that the in vitro and clinical effects of spermidine are (at least in part) not attributable to spermidine itself but rather to its metabolite, spermine.”

Please ask him if he would consider revising his opinion based on the strong possibility that previous studies finding benefits from spermidine consumption were accurate, only that the benefits actually resulted from spermine converted from spermidine.

2 Likes

I’m truly asking for a friend who is a fan. :slight_smile:
Q: Brad, if someone is using 1mg-6mg a week(or Bi weekly) of Rapamycin, and wants to keep athletic/hiking/weight lifting, how much protein would you recommend one consume per lb of lean body weight? and would you rather intake more collagen(than you normally take yourself 15grams a day) than whey/soy/beef/egg etc that are high in BCAA due to Leucine triggering MTOR?

Q:With current medicines, imaging, blood & genetic testing, any other technology, if you were 90 years old in 2023 (also taking your current posted supplement stack) what other stuff would you take/do to become Super Brad Stanfield in the hypothetical scenario that nothing is off limits to acquire for yourself?

5 Likes

What is his exercise regime?
(You could ask that to everyone you interview).

4 Likes

questions to ask:
1st: at what point is rapamycin an option for him?

Its just because he said: “Im not think that rapamycin should be used outside of clinical trails”
So I want to know what have to be done to change that.

2nd is: On what is his cautiousness based?

He is a really cautious one. I understand it if I was a MD and doing public work, I would’nt say anything other just to be safe. Btw I really appreciate that drug safety is totally a thing for him.

3nd is: as he is relatively cautious with recommendations, has he ever thought about drug interactions?

I want to know this because he usually takes a bunch of supplements at one time and a while ago, NMN and others were also on his list.
I have some concerns about the interactions and try dont to take more then 2 or 3 supplements together.
So what is his opinion?

btw: having Brad Stanfield on the show could be a really interessting one. Like it was with Matt Kaeberlein.

4 Likes

Really great questions! It’s good that the interview was postponed to the beginning of June :slight_smile:

2 Likes

another one:
Rapa increases blood lipid levels. As Brad Stanfield takes statins, I’d like to know if he would continue his statin treatment if he would take Rapa.

Background: IIRC we do not know if the increasing blood lipid levels is something we should lower or not.
Its obivously caused by the changes in the lipid and protein metabolism of the cells.

I dont know if he has a qualified answer on that topic but his thoughts may be very intressting.

1 Like

Hello, thank you for doing this.

Yes I would like to ask if Dr Stanfield will be able to measure things such as what was done in the study about GlyNac supplementation for older adults :
" glucose, and insulin; gait‐speed, grip‐strength, 6‐min walk test; cognitive tests; genomic‐damage; glucose‐production and muscle‐protein breakdown rates; and body‐composition."
Study here : Glycine and N‐acetylcysteine (GlyNAC) supplementation in older adults improves glutathione deficiency, oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction, inflammation, insulin resistance, endothelial dysfunction, genotoxicity, muscle strength, and cognition: Results of a pilot clinical trial - PMC
It would be very interesting to have some points of comparison, I think, between the two.

2 Likes

Email me at rosspelton70@gmail.com and I will give you info on how to order rapamycin. Ross

3 Likes

Krister…I would want to know what dose, what frequency of dosing, and what plasma level of sirolimus levels are in the participants.

2 Likes