Any experiences with Rapamycin and age-related dry eye?

Hello, a relative of mine is 80+ years old and is suffering from dry eye. A quick pub med search revealed that Rapamycin showed efficacy in animal models when applied directly to eyes. I’m wondering if any of the humans out there might have seen a benefit from oral Rapamycin.

We’ve had a bit of a discussion about rapamycin’s use impacting eyes in the past, see here:

In mouse studies an increased risk of cataracts has been reported, so that is something people are watching for generally. But it has not been seen or reported in humans at all so far.

People are developing their own DIY rapamycin skin cream and spray, and toothpaste, and hair/scalp syrum and so it seems like it would be something someone could try themselves if they wanted to. I can imagine people might be able to use an existing eye drop formula and add (perhaps rapamycin dissolved in trancutol, but I have done no research on transcutol’s impact on eyes - so something to check first).

Here: DIY Rapamycin Toothpaste and Flossing Paste

Here: DIY Rapamycin skin cream

Here: DIY Professional Rapamycin Skin Cream Recipe

and Hair: Rapamycin for Hair Growth and Hair Pigmentation

You might look into red LED therapy for dry eye. I’ve been using it for my eyes and face on and off, and experience significantly more tears the day of and after I do it. I think my current dose is around 300 mW/cm2 for about 10 minutes every other day, without any eye covering, eyes closed. Here’s a paper I found but didn’t read in detail that might lead to more info.

1 Like

Rapamycin-induced autophagy ameliorates GSH depletion-induced premature cell senescence

I thought this was going to be a link to Rapa and retinal health… you might want to research this yourself… apparently it was just a sentence/paragraph in something I was reading about NAC and now I can’t find the article again.

Astaxanthin and lots of blueberries are things I would personally recommend for dry eyes.

1 Like