Anti-bacteria drugs to take with infections while taking Rapamycin

I have just received the Sirolimus that I ordered. Before I start taking Sirolimus I would like to have an antibacterial preparation on hand if I get any infections while taking Rapamycin. Be grateful for help concerning this

1 Like

I am taking the antibiotic Augmentin. It has done wonders for the bacterial infection I am currently fighting.

After 2 years and 3 months of rapamycin, when I have a little issue (like chalazions… infection of an oil gland) I take 100mg Doxycycline hyclate 2 times a day for 3 days. Take mornings and evenings.

I never get mouth sores from rapamycin… just these chalazions from time to time.

1 Like

Thanks. If one gets infection do they usually start at higher doses or dosage is not important. I plan to start with 1 mg once a week and increase weekly until I get to 5 mg once a week

1 Like

Dr. Green suggests that people have azithromycin on-hand just in case you get any bacterial infections.

More info on this, and other side effects, here: Side Effects of Rapamycin (part 2)

2 Likes

Ahhh… the z-pack… yes… I have one on hand.

Also, I looked up Doxycycline and it treats the similar as it should as an antibiotic. I have been using it for 4 years… as needed I do a lot of international travel.

2 Likes

I believe this was touched on in another thread. @tongMD brought up an interaction with azithromycin and Rapa. He made some good points and would probably go for another antibiotic with Rapa than a z-pack.

3 Likes

My doc had no issues with a Doxycycline prescription as needed to go with my rapamycin/sirolimus.

I have had no issues with Doxycycline.
FYI.

2 Likes

Good news. After 5 days on antibiotics, the infection has cleared up. I will start using the hair tonic tomorrow and will start oral Rapamycin again in a week.

The neck acne is the only side effect left, although it has faded a lot. However the darn thing won’t go away completely.

1 Like

Nice to hear.

You like the brown glaze the tonic gives your hair?

My grey has been gone for months. Kinda sweaty here…lol.

BAM!! So natural my staff and wife says its great… retains my natural streaks and all!

2 Likes

How do you know which antibiotic to have when you don’t know what infection you’ll get?

1 Like

Even after a month off the Rapa I still have some neck acne and oral blood blisters.

1 Like

What’s the dosage for Doxycycline?
Thanks.

100 mg dose. One in morning - one at night - usually just 3 days kicks anything.

100 mg Doxy

Thanks a lot! I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow and will ask for it.

1 Like

Just realize that not all antibiotics are the same for everyone. If you develop a bacterial infection, you should see a doctor who will prescribe the correct antibiotic for your illness.

2 Likes

Exactly - you were fighting a bigger issue. Maybe higher dose and more frequency.

My thought is to have the 100 mg Doxy dose on hand for small issues - I use when traveling or if something happens on a weekend – is pretty safe for most people.

2 Likes

Anything? Wow! A miracle drug.

3 Likes

Well a lot of minor to mid-level issues… lol.

Doxycycline has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the prevention or treatment of specific conditions within each of the following categories: rickettsial infections, sexually transmitted infections, respiratory tract infections, bacterial infections, Lyme disease, ophthalmic infections, … used to treat many different bacterial infections, such as acne, urinary tract infections, intestinal infections, respiratory infections, eye infections, gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, periodontitis (gum disease), and others.

2 Likes

Agetron, did your doc recommend you to to take this antibiotic for 3 days if you have minor issues?

To my knowledge antibiotics should be saved for major issues… and they should also be taken for a full cycle, which at normal oral dosages, almost always is between 7 and 10 days.

The reasons for this advice are, from what I’ve heard 2.

1. Antibiotics, especially broad range ones likes the ones discussed in this thread, tends to kill a lot of your beneficial gut bacteria.

2. We wanna save the antibiotics for when they really are needed, and don’t grow antibiotic-resistent strains of bacteria…

Using antibiotics in the way you or your doctor suggests seem very irresponsable to me. Both to your self and the rest of the people on this planet.

I’m not a doctor though, so could have misunderstood something. :man_shrugging:t2:

PS. I would also consider taking a random broad range antibiotic if I was having 41 degrees C fever that wasn’t going down for days, and I was far from medical care… knowing that most smaller, and bigger infections are viruses…

3 Likes